Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do All Athiests Recognise The Gregorian Calendar?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    Or are there people who refuse to accept all that, and consider us to be in the year 13 billion?

That'd be ridiculous; trying to make the measurement of time less arbitrary by beginning at the big bang; then dividing it up completely arbitrarily into how long it takes for a bit of rock to orbit some nucelar fire. Also, neither of them existed until 9 billion years into the calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Zillah wrote: »
    Why is it that hover cars are the universal signifier that the future has arrived? I am as guilty of this as anyone. I distinctly recall thinking as a child that we would have hover cars in the year 2000.

I don't know about the year 2000, but I've been to the year 3000.

Not much has changed but they live under water.

And your great, great, great, grand daughter is pretty fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

JimiTime wrote: »

Me too. I met your great, great, great... grandson. I showed him the Bible and he couldn't believe that you thought it was all the inspired word of a creator god. He said people back in 2010 must have been really ignorant; I guess he has a point since we tend to think people a thousand years ago were quite ignorant with their god's of thunder etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Talk about understatement! It's almost identical, but.........

I like the calendar with the hookers and the blackjack, i'm gonna follow that one from now on, it's better, for example instead of good friday there's f'ucking great friday.
    Join us, you know it makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

goose2005 wrote: »
    You western imperialists can go to hell, it's Juche 99.

Honestly shocked so many people got that reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

You went there too! I went there and that song hand gone multi-platinum, everybody bought our 7th album. In fact, if I recall correctly it had outsold Michael Jackson.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Enkidu wrote: »
    Michael Jackson.
    Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    A serious question, do all athiests count the years since the preceived birth of JC, as is the commonly used method of establishing what year we are currently in, i.e. we call this year 2010, and not the year 13 billion odd? If so, why? Is it habit, conditioning, just the way things are, or do you ever think why you accept the birth of a religious figure as the start of the counting of the years we use in the modern world?

Or are there people who refuse to accept all that, and consider us to be in the year 13 billion?

There are some who attempt to refuse to accept that. One hears the BCE/CE moniker more often these days - certainly amongst the academics. The reason given sounds plausible enough..
    Common Era notation has been adopted in several non-Christian cultures and by many scholars in religious studies and other academic fields wishing to be sensitive to non-Christians

..the fly in the ointment follows swifly enough thereafter. A variation on papering over the cracks.
    Some suggest Common Era designation is not sufficiently culturally neutral, because it does not remove the birth of Jesus as the era marker, leaving the focus on an event significant to Western civilization.

Suggestions on how to wriggle out of this problem on a postcard - although it appears to me a case of first up (or first born from amongst the dead) best dressed.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, I have no time for historical revisionism; that's the date system we use, and it does what it says on the tin, so to speak. Even if we could change it, we'd still have to remember the "old" system and convert whenever we referred to any written history.

I wasn't aware of the Juche system, but it wasn't hard to guess where it's used before I hit Wikipedia. There's only one country in the world left that's daft enough. (And no, North Korea is not an "atheist country", not with a dogmatic state ideology that includes worship of the "dear leaders", dead or alive!)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I posted this over in the funny side of religion too, but it fits here, so I ought to post it here, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Happy new year 13 Billion plus or minus one completely insignificant figure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Happy new year 13 Billion plus or minus one completely insignificant figure!
    Hey! I object! You are plus or minus an uncertain amount of hours from said 13 billion plus or minus a insiginificant figure!

:P

In all seriousness, hopefully 2011 will be better for all of us than 2010 was. And hopefully we don't have our sanity tested too much by f***in' imbeciles.

Advertisement