Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange sound in some films (UK countryside)

Options
  • 06-04-2021 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question because this has been puzzling me lately. I’m a movie buff and have been watching and re-watching all kinds during the lockdown. I noticed in some English films, that when people are in the country, playing cricket or the like, there is an animal sound that you can often hear in the background, that I would say sounds somewhere between a cat’s meow and a high-pitched screech of a bird. It is very intriguing, and slightly unnerving. In “The Shout” (1978), for example, you can hear it all throughout the cricket game they are playing, in time intervals of 10-15 seconds or so. It really bolsters the uneasy atmosphere of the psychological horror carried by the storyline (it’s a great movie, btw, highly recommended!).

I came across it again recently in this piece from the nineties:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oux9OObbut0&t=857s

It’s heard in the background of the men’s conversation at exactly 13:30 mins in, and then at 13:37, fainter.

I’m guessing it’s a bird, so I chose this forum to ask which bird is it..? I hope someone will know! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭fiacha

I heard a Blackbird anyway. Maybe a couple of the usual suspects also (Robin , Wren). Don't have my headphones handy so can't turn it up loud enough to hear clearly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,431 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sounds a bit like a peacock to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭seenitall

Oh really? Wow. I thought it was going to be something more mysterious (and bigger) than a blackbird!

I’m such a city girl lol
    Thank you.

ETA: yeah, peacock is more what I would have guessed? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yes, I think the mystery is solved:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eWTABEOFYoY

Never mind the plumage; the lungs on that guy are something else! (And I do mean the bird, not the human :D)

Thanks for your help, folks.

Yes they're very noisy birds, and have a very distinctive call. Quite common in English country house gardens and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The first was a blackbird, the second a magpie and the third a peacock. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

When I lived in Cahir, County Tipperary there were peacocks on the Cahir Park Demesne and the sound could be heard all across the town - hauntingly beautiful.

There are some in Marlay Park around the area where the walled garden and cafe are.

Advertisement