Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog teeth cleaning.

• 24-03-2021 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

I see petmania offer this service , i am just wondering is it any good?. I believe my little doggy teeth are healthy but he certainly has some plaque. Will this get rid of the plaque or is there any better services out there.
    I just want to make sure he gets the best care he needs.
    Any advice really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What I would suggest is getting a checkup at the vets and a proper cleaning.. just in case the teeth are a symptom of something else going on. All going well then you could go to pet mania for maintenance or just brush the teeth yourself if she'll let you. I have one of the ultrasonic brushes and they're great if you have a dog who doesn't really like getting them brushed or the plaque is in a spot that's difficult to actually brush at... or if your dog can't be put under sedation..You hold the brush in the same spot rather than brushing back and forth and then it'll loosen the plaque over time, eventually allowing you to flick it off with your nail/scaler etc.. You'll get the same results with brushing yourself. Another thing to be mindful of - if they're just removing visible plaque some could be left below the gum line and still be damaging their teeth. I had my guys teeth checked one time when he was in for something else and my suspicions were right - he had a chipped tooth - there's no way it would have been caught without him being sedated with where the chip was so sometimes it's best to have a proper job done at the vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

tk123 wrote: »
    I had my guys teeth checked one time when he was in for something else and my suspicions were right - he had a chipped tooth - there's no way it would have been caught without him being sedated with where the chip was so sometimes it's best to have a proper job done at the vets.
    Just curious what does a vet do for a chipped tooth? Do dogs get fillings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

SuziXX wrote: »
    Just curious what does a vet do for a chipped tooth? Do dogs get fillings?

I’ve heard of them getting fillings!!

The chip was up at the gum line with the gum
    filling gap and wasn’t bothering him so we left it and I can’t remember how many months passed.. but I was doing some training with him for a class and noticed that he was ever so slightly turning away when I went to reward him so knew it was time to get the tooth removed. He was very happy to have it removed (like delighted when I collected him with a happy head on him lol) and went mad chewing sticks again when it was healed so it was obviously bothering him even though he was doing a good job at hiding the pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I use NUTRISCIENCE produce PLAQUE OFF - in my dogs and cats food - its a seaweed product, natural, which you put on their food. It causes their saliva to react and prevents plaque. My elderly dogs teeth are SPARKLING :D One of the cats the vet thought might need an extraction, but since shes been on Plaque-Off, her teeth are all good. Worth a try - a teeny pinch in the food every day (Ive tapered off to a few days/week now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

molly09 wrote: »
    I see petmania offer this service , i am just wondering is it any good?.

I'd say what Petmania are offering is the equivalent of brushing your teeth with toothbrush and toothpaste. Most dogs are reluctant to have their teeth cleaned without being conditioned to it. So the benefits of what the groomer can do are slim. It will really just be cosmetic.

What your vet offers is a descale and polish under general anaesthetic, which leaves the teeth fully clean of tartar and with plaque substantially reduced. Same as what you or I have done at the dentist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Your vet will do dental xrays to assess the dog's teeth - in many cases while the tooth above the gum line may just have plaque there can be significant bone loss around tooth roots which necessitate extractions.

radio-27406-gallery.png

This xray is a good example - the dark areas around the tooth roots are bone loss which will lead to the tooth dying off, pain and possible infections. From a quick look in the mouth the tooth can look perfectly ok and often isn't even loose yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

How much does it generally cost to have the dogs teeth scaled and polished, our dog is 8 and his teeth re full of plaque, I tried many times to brush his teeth but he wasn't having it.

Advertisement