Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current guidelines re: travelling England to Ireland

• 15-03-2021 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could please point me in the right direction to finding out the current guidelines in relation to travelling from England to Ireland?

What Covid-19 (negative) tests are acceptable?

I know it's impossible to predict but I wonder will measures be eased from April 5th onwards?

What website has the most up-to-date and correct information?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Morby wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could please point me in the right direction to finding out the current guidelines in relation to travelling from England to Ireland?

I know it's impossible to predict but I wonder will measures be eased from April 5th onwards?

Thanks.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

No one knows what restrictions that will be place after 5th April, but it will still mean effective level 5 lockdown for most people. We may be let go a little further from our front door if we are good boys and girls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/great-britain/#travelfrom

you need a negative test within 72 hours of departure and then isolate for 14 days when you get here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I thought a second negative test after 5 days meant end of quarantine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Alaninwondeand

What restrictions are in place for the return flight op? Ie people travelling from Ireland to mainland UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭a clanger

England to Ireland a Negative PCR test is required within 72 hours of dept. (only PCR accepted) You won't be allowed board flight/ferry without it for all pax over 6 years old !

Ireland to England ...no test required !

The above was personal experience 2 weeks ago

• Advertisement

Ryanair add the pcr test on to the app. With GDPR and Photoshop anyway can have a negative test. Who enforces it?

Ryanair add the pcr test on to the app. With GDPR and Photoshop anyway can have a negative test. Who enforces it?

Well they must be able to spot the fakes ....or at least they know fakes are out there source

So is Ryanair going to require a PCR now for travel to UK or is it just there in case introduced later? I need to do an 'essential' travel trip but am holding off for vaccine here.

a clanger wrote: »
    Well they must be able to spot the fakes ....or at least they know fakes are out there source

Who ever is doing it it works. I know and have seen a test and all they did was Photoshop it. Unless the Ryanair peeps are skilled in digital photography then they are not going to know. I am not advocating it, just stating its happening.

Hi all,

Thanks.

You need a PCR negative test within 72 hours of travel. I can't see restrictions on travel getting any better from 5th April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Can the Man

I travelled England to Ireland yesterday. PCR test done within 72 hours and it was checked by airline staff before boarding the flight. ( they will only accept a PCR test)I was asked at boarder control for the PCR test. You also need to fill in a Passenger locator form.

• a clanger wrote: »
    England to Ireland a Negative PCR test is required within 72 hours of dept. (only PCR accepted) You won't be allowed board flight/ferry without it for all pax over 6 years old !

Is there any confirmation of this ie: "Ireland to England ....no test required!"

I travelled into Ireland on 5th March with a PCR test. Quarantined etc.

I'm due to travel back to England on 7th April out of Dublin.

Will I need a new PCR test for either this side oarroving over in England?

Is there any official confirmation of what is required on any Gov websites?

Thanks

Keanu Careful Belly
    No test required travelling from Ireland to England as long as you have been solely on the island of Ireland within the last 14 days.
    you will be required to quarantine at home for 10 days on arrival in the UK. Border staff check all passengers on the airbridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Are the garda still in departures in Dublin airport asking people what the purpose of their travel is or have they gone now?

A chronic waste of resources, they should be out catching criminals yet are standing at the airport twiddling their thumbs asking people about their travel plans:rolleyes:

Last weekend they had checkpoints entering T1 and T2. Cannot speculate but imagine the 'Easter holliers' would be seen as a peak time to catch paddy sneaking off. No checking of bus from long term car park. No Garda checking fast track channel as obviously tourists don't use that ! I've been lucky to travel over the last few months and increasingly convinced the Garda presence is 'optics' as is the whole travel policy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Are the checkpoints at the main entrances to the terminal buildings? Or at the baggage x ray area?

Last week there were checkpoints on the approach roads /ramps up to T1 and T2 but no Garda presence in the airport. The week before that they had a Garda leaning on a booth who would question you before security in T1.
    The only needed 1 Garda as the amount of people going through was so small....despite what you read in the media !
    I was travelling due to work so obviously no issues. Anytime I've engaged with the Garda they have been polite and there was certainly no aggressive questioning...i was legit though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Does anyone here please know if an NHS PCR negative test & result (all within 72hrs) is acceptable for travel with Ryanair?

They can't/won't answer just keeping saying to check the Irish Embassy / Government websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Accidentally

Hi all,

Thanks.

Your other option is to fly in to Belfast, which is a huge gaping back door into Ireland from the UK, without any controls

If it has a date and time of swab why would it not be acceptable. In fairness a NHS PCR is just as legit as any other if not more so. The gate agent/cabin crew are the ones checking and immigration in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Hi Morby

I just seen that you are travelling from the UK.

The Airline will ask you for the results of PCR test taken within the last 72 hours which must be Negative. Boarder control will ask for the same on arrival along with your contact tracing form. Fill it in on line at GOV.ie before travel. Bring a copy with you.
    safe travels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Does anyone here please know if an NHS PCR negative test & result (all within 72hrs) is acceptable for travel with Ryanair?

They can't/won't answer just keeping saying to check the Irish Embassy / Government websites.
    Flew back to Dublin from LHR last month. Travel is not acceptable grounds for obtaining a NHS test so you'll have to get one privately (£99 in my case). Several airports have drive-through swabbing centres and the certificate was sent as a PDF next day.

A relative of mine who lived in the UK for decades and is back in Ireland but will be returning to the UK later this year has the opportunity to get a vaccine there in a few weeks , he is wondering though would this be deemed as an essnetial trip, surely something like this would fall under the term essential, does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Travelling for a medical reason is permitted, also if you are travelling back to your normal country of residence

Q "Why are you travelling?"

A "I am a UK citizen, returning to the UK as I have a confirmed appointment to receive a vaccination"

Show text, email print out etc, proceed to gate

I have wondered why we are so worried about people leaving, fewer people on the island can only benefit us in the current circumstances.

Travelling for a medical reason is permitted, also if you are travelling back to your normal country of residence

Q "Why are you travelling?"

A "I am a UK citizen, returning to the UK as I have a confirmed appointment to receive a vaccination"

Show text, email print out etc, proceed to gate

cheers , he's Irish with an Irish passport but has been living there for years but has been back here since last christmas and be staying here for a good while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/travelling_abroad_during_covid.html

You should only travel abroad if it is essential to do so. The following are ”reasonable excuses” for travelling to a port or airport for the purposes of travelling abroad as set out in the Health Act 1947 (Section 31A – Temporary Restrictions) COVID-19) (No 10)(Amendment)(No 2) Regulations 2021:

To go to college or school if you have to be there in person
    To go with a child or a vulnerable adult to school if they have to be there in person
    To work or travel related to your business
    To go to a medical or dental appointment, or to go to an appointment with someone you live with, or a vulnerable person
    To seek essential medical, health or dental services, or to accompany someone you live with, or a vulnerable person who needs essential treatment
    To care for a family member or for other vital family reasons
    To go to a funeral
    To meet a legal obligation (for example, to appear in court)
    To give access to a child to the other parent of the child, or to access a child that you have a right of access to
    To leave Ireland if you are not resident in Ireland

There has been some talk of the medical/dental appointment exemption being changed due to people abusing the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

PommieBast wrote: »
    There has been some talk of the medical/dental appointment exemption being changed due to people abusing the system.
    Yea I think we can already see what the change is going to be, was this duplication put in to give people a heads up I wonder.

To go to a medical or dental appointment, or to go to an appointment with someone you live with, or a vulnerable person

to be replaced with

To seek essential medical, health or dental services, or to accompany someone you live with, or a vulnerable person who needs essential treatment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just used Boots chemist in the UK for testing and while expensive the test came through very quickly.

Book online - need to make an account for the testing company and for Boots (two accounts!). Book test - phone pharmacy if you want to try and squeeze in or for a test at short notice (normally booking needs to be at least 24hours in advance).

Card details are taken when you sign up but no money taken until you take the test £120 :(.

All tests are sent off at 4pm so no advantage in testing early in the morning.

I tested at 2pm one day and got my test results as a pdf the following morning at 9am :D (negative).

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Given that you have to travel within 72 hours of the test think it is actually best to take the test as late in the evening as possible. Did something like 6pm Wednesday for a 9am Saturday flight..

Given that you have to travel within 72 hours of the test think it is actually best to take the test as late in the evening as possible. Did something like 6pm Wednesday for a 9am Saturday flight..

But you need to check if you can when the samples are sent off. Test too late in the day and they may not get sent off till the following day.

According to Irish Ferries you have to arrive at your destination within 72hours of the test time, don't know about other carriers? So I've allowed for either a very late ferry or a cancelled ferry to be within that window.

But you need to check if you can when the samples are sent off. Test too late in the day and they may not get sent off till the following day.

According to Irish Ferries you have to arrive at your destination within 72hours of the test time, don't know about other carriers? So I've allowed for either a very late ferry or a cancelled ferry to be within that window.
    There is that hazard. I worked on the basis of the stated "results within 24 hours" (was actually next day) and made allowances for both delayed flights and an inconclusive result.

The time limit is a government thing so doubt there'll be any difference between carriers.

Travelling back as I write this. 100% agree it would be very easy to fake a test. The staff checking (when getting on the ferry) would have no way of knowing. Another passenger blagged a free NHS test and the very basic email that comes back from that which doesn't say much more than your test was negative was accepted.

Getting off the ferry garda checked I'd filled in a Passenger Locator Form and did a slightly more thorough check of the Covid test information but reciting my address and data of birth doesn't really prove anything.

Only a passing connection to the thread but I thought it was worth mentioning the limits for bringing booze back from the UK - forget it, 4 liters wine, 16 liters beer and a measly 1 liter of anything over 22% alcohol.

Travelling back as I write this. 100% agree it would be very easy to fake a test. The staff checking would have no way of knowing. Another passenger blagged a free NHS test and the very basic email that comes back from that which doesn't say much more than your test was negative was accepted.
    Fake covid test certificates is already old news. In my case airline staff only took a quick glance but Dublin immigration seemed to take their time looking over it..

Fake covid test certificates is already old news. In my case airline staff only took a quick glance but Dublin immigration seemed to take their time looking over it..

I'm sure they'll catch stupid people who buy forms from criminals but I don't see how they'll catch many tech savvy travellers who change the dates on a previous test result.

No I don't condone it and wouldn't do it. I think there should be a central database for the tests or some better way of verifying them.

The Passenger Locator Form is just a joke, put in whatever information you like and no one can tie you to it. Again its needs tightening up on, but no one is going to put up with more queues.

• Advertisement

I'm sure they'll catch stupid people who buy forms from criminals but I don't see how they'll catch many tech savvy travellers who change the dates on a previous test result.

No I don't condone it and wouldn't do it. I think there should be a central database for the tests or some better way of verifying them.
    Ultimately it will come down to some form of random checking, even if it is just GNIB ringing up the certificate's issuer. There's enough info on the certificate that if it does actually get checked, fakes will stick right out..

The Passenger Locator Form is just a joke, put in whatever information you like and no one can tie you to it. Again its needs tightening up on, but no one is going to put up with more queues.
    Yep. I've done the process three times and the nearest they've come to checking whether I was actually doing my 2-week isolation was SMS messages with a web link. I nearly missed it as it looked like just another phishing message..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Thanks for this info. Just wondering, do you know if the Gardai in the airport checking purpose of travel at all times or were they there when you were traveling? Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Last week there were checkpoints on the approach roads /ramps up to T1 and T2 but no Garda presence in the airport. The week before that they had a Garda leaning on a booth who would question you before security in T1.
    The only needed 1 Garda as the amount of people going through was so small....despite what you read in the media !
    I was travelling due to work so obviously no issues. Anytime I've engaged with the Garda they have been polite and there was certainly no aggressive questioning...i was legit though

Hi a_clanger, what proof were Gardai looking for that you were travelling for work? If a letter, do they just read it and let you through? Cheers

Keeping an ear out for news on travel to/from UK.... So OK to go with a decent reason for travel but need negative PCR result to board plane on return and also evidence of second test booked to be taken in Ireland on Day 5 of return. And to quarantine for those 5 days. Some talk on radio last night about mandatory hotel stay for those days.... I will soon have first vaccine dose of two but that does not seem to be any help. A covid travel pass will come hopefully over summer but presume only fully vaccinated will travel freely?

You don't need evidence of a second test booked unless you want to stop quarantine at home early.

• Advertisement

Flew last weekend, there was 2 garda before you go through the barrier but there was a large crowd but just checked boarding pass and passpport and that was it, airport was much busier than ive seen it since before this lunacy started, which was great to see.

flew back through Belfast, was great to be able to have a few beers over there and do a bit of shopping, a little sense of normality, so id highly recommend flying if you want to, ignore the scaremongering.

I have need to travel UK in next 6 wks. I booked a return flight with Ryanair to Bristol only to have it cancelled yesterday. Email ended up in Spam so nearly missed it. OK can get refund or rebook.... but very inconvenient especially to people in UK expecting me to turn up. I fear they will cancel other bookings nearer the time when it suits them.

Garlinge wrote: »
    I have need to travel UK in next 6 wks. I booked a return flight with Ryanair to Bristol only to have it cancelled yesterday. Email ended up in Spam so nearly missed it. OK can get refund or rebook.... but very inconvenient especially to people in UK expecting me to turn up. I fear they will cancel other bookings nearer the time when it suits them.

my flioght to London Southend next month got cancelled but i was able to rebook to Stanstead which initially came in mich dearer which is why i booked Southend so result for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

Does anybody know what the story is if you are transiting through the UK? Say Calais-Dover-Birkenhead-Belfast-ROI. Can you use your ROI address as the quarantine location?

Ladylouth wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the story is if you are transiting through the UK? Say Calais-Dover-Birkenhead-Belfast-ROI. Can you use your ROI address as the quarantine location?

If your reason for travel is returning to your home then I don't see you have a problem. Edit> Provided you have the relevant PCR tests and any forms filled in for the counties you are travelling through.

When I was in the UK two weeks ago I travelled about a thousand miles and didn't get stopped once. No questions asked coming back from the UK apart from asking for PLF and proof of Covid PCR test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Ladylouth wrote: »

A few weeks back I travelled Calais-Dover-Pembroke-Rosslare

PCR checked in Calais. Border force checked all in Dover and insisted I needed to isolate in UK. After much discussion they let me carry on to Pembroke. The UK passenger locator form has no section for road transit. It is set up for flying.

PCR checked in Pembroke dock and Irish passenger locator form handed out to be filled in..

Garda check in Rosslare very cursory. Just took the form without looking at it.

No checks in the 14 days after i got home in Ireland.

Nomis21 wrote: »

No checks in the 14 days after i got home in Ireland.

I won't get any this time either :rolleyes: The stupid form asks for mobile number so thats what I gave - only our government needs to get mobile coverage in my area sorted if they want to speak to me.

When I'm in a less pedantic mood and give my home number all I get is one call from some poor *** reading from script.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Has anyone travelled Larne to Cairnryan or back the other way recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭midnightblue

I'm due to travel to England from Dublin on the end of June, and I'm a bit confused about the need to quarantine in England. This is what gov.uk says under "How to quarantine when you arrive in England"

If, within the current restrictions on travel within the Common Travel Area and the recommendation not to travel at all, you’re travelling from somewhere in the Common Travel Area (Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and you have not left the Common Travel Area for the past 10 days, you do not need a test before leaving or to home quarantine and take tests after arriving.

This reads to me that there is no need to home quarantine upon arrival in England if you haven't been out of the common travel area. My trip is for 4 days so I'm looking for guidance from what people have experienced so far.

Forget it, no need to quarantine in the UK as its within the CTA (Comon Travel Area).

I got an email I'll dig out to prove it if you like.

Edit> There you go ...........
    Dear XXXXX

Thank you for your enquiry to NHS Trace Feedback.

Ireland is part of the Common Travel Area (See link below) a long-standing arrangement between the UK, the Crown Dependencies (Bailiwick of Jersey, Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Isle of Man) and Ireland that pre-dates both British and Irish membership of the EU and is not dependent on it.

Under the CTA, British and Irish citizens can move freely and reside in either jurisdiction and enjoy associated rights and privileges, including the right to work, study and vote in certain elections, as well as to access social welfare benefits and health services.

The government recommend that:

If, within the current restrictions on travel within the Common Travel Area and the recommendation not to travel at all, you’re travelling from somewhere in the Common Travel Area (Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and you have not left the Common Travel Area for the past 10 days, you do not need a test before leaving or to home quarantine and take tests after arriving.

So you are exempt from the pre-departure test, the travel test kits and from quarantine.

I hope this brings some clarity to your situation.

Kind Regards,

XXXXX
    Trace Feedback Team

• Advertisement
Advertisement