15-02-2020, 17:50   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey1 View Post
Cork and Limerick (and Galway for that matter) both have direct motorway routes to Dublin (and Limerick has a direct motorway route to Galway)

The Castlebar to Westport road is a glorified cart track and absolutely deserves to be built NOW
Limerick Cork and Galway are cities. Westport is an over rated over priced village which could never be like the other three places if you spent ten times the amount of cash as the road costs on the place.

Why does Westport deserve to have 240 million spent on a new road?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-02-2020, 17:50   #17
Jim_Hodge

It's not particularly expensive per km (without knowing land acquisition costs). Badly needed too. It's a non story. We need more such Capital projects.
15-02-2020, 17:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Hodge View Post
It's not particularly expensive per km (without knowing land acquisition costs). Badly needed too. It's a non story. We need more such Capital projects.
Why?
15-02-2020, 18:09   #19
Cosmo Kramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post

An argument further undermined with statistics that indicate that traffic on the N20 is more than double that on the N5 Galway to Westport leg with the N20 also carrying a proportionally greater number of HGV's.

Road Traffic Ireland
Nice rant. The N5 doesn't even go from Galway to Westport but why let that get in the way of you ranting about your own irrelevant vested interest.

In general, given all the actual news that could do with being investigated and reported, it's pretty pathetic to see some so called news agency trying to make money off this absolute non story.

There's a creaking health service and a billion pound children's hospital overspend that needs to be investigated, maybe spend some time on actual news like that instead.
15-02-2020, 20:52   #20
yop

Ah this is the journal.ie again.
I asked already on that site what was the basis of this report based the fact this has been in plan for 15 years and who was behind it, assuming it was thejournal.ie.

Also I see no likewise report about the Childrens Hospital and why the costs are gone so far from the original.

This road, like many other areas in the country, is needed. Its a death trap for people who travel on it on a daily basis.
It has crashes on it every week.
If you bother to look at the stats on the daily journeys you will see that there are in fact more than on the main road to Galway.

The road had started and the machines are on it, this report won't stop it thankfully.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-02-2020, 22:12   #21
RogerThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
Don't see how you can compare a road linking the 2nd and third largest cities in the country to two comparatively small towns in the same county.

An argument further undermined with statistics that indicate that traffic on the N20 is more than double that on the N5 Galway to Westport leg with the N20 also carrying a proportionally greater number of HGV's.

Road Traffic Ireland

I would also add that your points on access to Dublin are irrelevant.
Thanks for the link for the traffic stats.

The road between "2nd and third largest cities" had an annual average daily traffic of 10682 (Buttevant and Charleville stretch) in 2019

The road between "two comparatively small towns in the same county" in Mayo had annual average daily traffic 9468 in 2019

Not much in the different really, was surprised how close it was. We need a proper road between Limerick and Cork and it's a disgrace it hasn't been built, but the road between Westport and Castlebar is in worse shape, and need the upgrade.
Thanks from:
15-02-2020, 22:17   #22
Hootanany

What is a sponsored post??
15-02-2020, 22:48   #23
Tell me how

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
Nice rant. The N5 doesn't even go from Galway to Westport but why let that get in the way of you ranting about your own irrelevant vested interest.
Think you meant to post this in another thread. If not, you might go some way to explaining your point.

You might also point out the point of my post which constituted a rant or a vested interest. My entering Galway was a simple mistake given, it was obviously meant to be Castlebar.

Last edited by Tell me how; 15-02-2020 at 22:54.
Thanks from:
16-02-2020, 21:30   #24
prunudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootanany View Post
Exactly and who is providing the funding and who is pushing the agenda?
Advertisement
16-02-2020, 22:15   #25
yop

Quote:
Originally Posted by prunudo View Post
Exactly and who is providing the funding and who is pushing the agenda?
The journal.ie own that Newsworthy crew who are pedaling this. I'm all for open discussion but as was posted below the facts are there.

Still looking forward to their investigation into why a hospital in Ireland is 7 times dearer than one in Liverpool and 5 times dearer than one in Portugal which is twice the size......

Anyway, its going to be built and we will be grateful for it.
And I hope the other areas mentioned here get their roads sorted out and it won't have this "investigation" for the sake of it.
Thanks from:
16-02-2020, 22:33   #26
Kristopherus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootanany View Post
To me its a ruse by noseyparkers to try & influence different projects around the country. How they got access to Boards is a mystery. IMO they should be told in the bluntest of language to f--k off right back to where they came from.
16-02-2020, 23:21   #27
Rodin

Quote:
Cork and Limerick (and Galway for that matter) both have direct motorway routes to Dublin (and Limerick has a direct motorway route to Galway)

The Castlebar to Westport road is a glorified cart track and absolutely deserves to be built NOW
Not a bit wrong with that 15 minute stretch of road.
Low traffic volumes.

Will all still end at a traffic jam down the hill into Westport anyway!

Shouldnt have been prioritised in my opinion.
Thanks from:
16-02-2020, 23:37   #28

What's this all about?
16-02-2020, 23:46   #29
jaxxx

Quote:

LIMERICK - CORK does not have a direct motorway! The actual hell does connections to Dublin/Galway have to do with anything?? The M20 should have been built at least 20 years ago! What rubbish.
17-02-2020, 09:44   #30
yop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
Not a bit wrong with that 15 minute stretch of road.
Low traffic volumes.

Will all still end at a traffic jam down the hill into Westport anyway!

Shouldnt have been prioritised in my opinion.
Define low traffic volumes?

You have seen the route?

You use the road daily?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size