04-01-2017, 21:41   #46
pab_lowe

sharpening question

Hi Guys,

Some good advice here, thank you. I start turning in 2016 and would be grateful for some help. I am lucky enough to have a lathe and a nice set of chisels that I use at home. I have been doing some between centers work and also have a couple of bowls that I am very happy with. The frustrating thing for me is that I have no equipment for sharpening the chisels. I have been going to a local turner to sharpen them occasionally but it’s not ideal. I see that getting the angle correct on the gouges is particularly important and so I understand that a grinder and jig set up is probably required. I am somewhat limited on space but I wanted to see if there are any suggestions for what I should invest in. I don’t want to go cheap if it’s going to be dangerous or short term but I don’t need top of the range either.

By the way, its amazing how the outlook on your surrounding changes. When I’m out for a run I’m spotting fallen trees that go back for. One of our normal forest walking areas, I bring a bushman and bag to bring home some nice pieces. Even the firewood I got delivered for the woodburning stove, I’m picking out all the nice bits, lovely dry oak and ash. Also, I realise that the shavings from the lathe make a great means to start the fire!
many thanks
Pab
Advertisement
04-01-2017, 22:59   #47
kadman

Simplest space saving option is to mount a grindwheel on an arbour to suit your chuck setup, possibly.

What way are you chucking up the bowls.??
05-01-2017, 09:07   #48
pab_lowe

Hi Kadman, I use a faceplate and a nova chuck for bowls. What is an arbour?
05-01-2017, 22:53   #49
kadman

An arbour is a shaft that can have a grindwheel attached to it, and placed in
a chuck.

You could probably make some attachment of the wheel to the output shaft of the
lathe, when the chuck is removed.

Whats the TPI of the shaft??
17-01-2017, 14:12   #50
pab_lowe

Hello again. What is TPI?
Is there anywhere between Limerick city and Ennis where one could get tools sharpened
Advertisement
17-01-2017, 16:19   #51
bonzodog2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab_lowe View Post
Threads per inch. A measure of how coarse/fine the screw threads are on the shaft the faceplate mounts on.

edit: for metric threads, the pitch in mm measures the same thing.
17-01-2017, 23:57   #52
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab_lowe View Post
Is there anywhere between Limerick city and Ennis where one could get tools sharpened
What tools exactly??

If its woodturning chisels, then you are best to learn to sharpen them yourself. Depending
on what you are turning, you could be sending them off every couple of days.

And as you will most likely be using them straight from the grinder, its not rocket science.

Its about care and attention mostly.
22-01-2017, 15:19   #53
delaney001

Anyone water down PVA for sealing end grain on green bowls? What ratio of water to glue is the norm?
16-02-2017, 22:18   #54
magicbastarder

i've tried using wax, but find the wax often pops off as the grain shifts.

recently been doing some finish turning of some bowls i roughed out about 8 months ago; including some myrtle a friend gave me. an interesting wood; easy to turn but with a weird yellow blotchiness at times which almost looks like light staining. warped a hell of a lot as it dried.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6983.jpg (87.4 KB, 135 views)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-02-2017, 22:24   #55
mayo.mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post

recently been doing some finish turning of some bowls i roughed out about 8 months ago; including some myrtle a friend gave me. an interesting wood; easy to turn but with a weird yellow blotchiness at times which almost looks like light staining. warped a hell of a lot as it dried.

I'm not long back at the turning myself. I used always only use beeswax for finishing. I'm now started using shellac sanding sealer first, 2 maybe 3 coats and then a couple of coats of wax. Nice bowl by the way!
17-02-2017, 11:00   #56
delaney001

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post

Lovely stuff. Any idea what kind of moisture content you went from, or roughly what it was at at finish turning point?
18-02-2017, 20:04   #57
woodturner

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaney001 View Post
Anyone water down PVA for sealing end grain on green bowls? What ratio of water to glue is the norm?
50/50
18-02-2017, 20:47   #58
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaney001 View Post
Lovely stuff. Any idea what kind of moisture content you went from, or roughly what it was at at finish turning point?
don't know what it was at finish, but not as low as i'd like, i reckon.

it was completely wet to begin with; here's a photo of one which warped the least:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170115_183222.jpg (61.8 KB, 128 views)
Thanks from:
18-02-2017, 20:51   #59
magicbastarder

have been playing with danish oil as a finish the last couple of days. can't beat it for ease of application anyway; one issue i have with beeswax and other waxes is inconsistent finishes as you get near the centre of a bowl, as it's obviously not spinning as fast near the centre.
Thanks from:
23-02-2017, 09:53   #60
magicbastarder

has anyone here ever tried turning cedar? one just came down in my parents-in-laws' garden, and i'll undoubtedly be offered some.

i'd say woodturners will be stalking around the country this morning looking for fallen trees.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion