Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passport application operations suspended

• 20-02-2021 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

Just to let anyone waiting know that the Passport Office has suspended operations while Level 5 is in effect due to staff working from home not having access to certain files .

They also say that they expect the backlog to be cleared within 6 to 8 weeks of Level 5 exit.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0220/1198346-passports/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Someone posted up that renewals that don't require documents are still going through automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭McSween

yenom wrote: »
    Someone posted up that renewals that don't require documents are still going through automatically.

Interesting. My parents’ ones are out of date a month. New photos and maybe i will submit their application. Will getting passport cards with their books cause any issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

Passports are not being issued unless for an emergency. However some renewals in the system right before an emergency application may be processed. I know this because I've one in the system since December and they won't process it until.out of level 5.

McSween wrote: »
    Interesting. My parents’ ones are out of date a month. New photos and maybe i will submit their application. Will getting passport cards with their books cause any issue?

It would be good to know. It's my understanding that the straightforward ones are done automatically by machines and have no human interaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

It would be good to know. It's my understanding that the straightforward ones are done automatically by machines and have no human interaction.

Well mine is straight forward as they come , on line renewal no changes to any of my details since last passport issued. Applied late december and it is still in processing. I dont expect it now until week after we exit level 5 . No panic as I'm not going anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭McSween

Mine and my daughter’s are up in March/May 2022 and local pharmacy are doing digital photos.

Does my passport stay valid until ISSUE of new one? Ie i dont think i have to send old one off in the post?

McSween wrote: »
    Mine and my daughter’s are up in March/May 2022 and local pharmacy are doing digital photos.

Does my passport stay valid until ISSUE of new one? Ie i dont think i have to send old one off in the post?

If it's a renewal do it online if you can at all it quite easy but you cant apply for a new one until I think it's less than 6 months left on your old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres still a human involved to double check the details, and from the sounds of it this access to your personal information is only possible on site at the passport office and not when the staff are working remotely

As for the question of needing to send in a passport as part of an application, thats not required any more thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

How are they working from home if they aren't processing any applications, what else do they do? I'm in favour of working from home if you can still do your job but if not it's just an extended holiday. Could they not have a few staff in to check physical documents and the rest processing the rest of the application from home?

db wrote: »
    How are they working from home if they aren't processing any applications, what else do they do? I'm in favour of working from home if you can still do your job but if not it's just an extended holiday. Could they not have a few staff in to check physical documents and the rest processing the rest of the application from home?

They said the staff were redeployed to other tasks. Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'd say the reality is most of those staff are sitting at home on full pay.

Also what correlation is there between passports and level 5 v level 4?! Seems like nonsense.

I'd hope we come out of level 5 on 5 April and then re-open the passport office then if that's' the rules they're following.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That's likely how the emergency ones are getting done. Probably too many staff required to do everyone else as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

Car99 wrote: »
    If it's a renewal do it online if you can at all it quite easy but you cant apply for a new one until I think it's less than 6 months left on your old one.
    It's less than 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I submitted an online renewal on Sunday Jan 31st as my passport was expiring at the end of February.
    I was shocked when I received the new passport by post in Letterkenny on Thursday February 4th - so it arrived in four working days.
    The other strange thing was that the online passport tracker says the passport was only dispatched on Feb 9th :confused:
    Anyway, I applied for the passport card at the same time, there has been no progress on that yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

There would be significant GDPR and potential security issues Afaik doing that type of work 'at home'

Update from me:

I tracked my application and there was an update today 31 March saying:

Your application is being processed.

Says now due 8th April.

I've never tracked it before so not sure if this is some kind of weekly update whereby it just rolls forward a week?

Or else this is a genuine update and they have actually started to process it?

On twitter they're saying standard adult renewals are being done and 20,000 have been done since December.

So wonder have they resumed service for passports that require documentation like mine? It's a bid coincidental that my tracking has been updated the day after the new government plan.

But maybe it's automatic and next week on 8th April it will just roll forward onto 15 April.

Mine arrived today , applied early December 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I applied to renew my Passport Card yesterday. A smooth process online. €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Childs passport is out this June(renewal not a first passport). If sent in to passport express etc will it be processed and returned by july?(if sent in now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Childs passport is out this June(renewal not a first passport). If sent in to passport express etc will it be processed and returned by july?(if sent in now)

Nobody knows. You'd have a better chance if you renewed online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

For kids passport renewal you still need to send in paper documents and they're currently saying don't do that as its suspended. So who knows how long it'll take. I'll probably send in the paper soon for mine (after having gone through the online process) as I'm sick of staring at it on the mantelpiece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭mrskinner

I renewed online on Monday and the postman had my passport on Thursday.

Excellent public service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Anyone renewing online using Smartphone picture/ headshot.??? Any problems??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Shauna677

Masala wrote: »
    Anyone renewing online using Smartphone picture/ headshot.??? Any problems??

I did this last summer, I didn't find the passport photo apps much good, so took a selfie and after cropping to size it was accepted. Got my shiny new passport back within few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

mrskinner wrote: »
    I renewed online on Monday and the postman had my passport on Thursday.

Excellent public service.

Strange. I applied online on March 2nd. Estimated issue date on the Passport Tracker was March 15th. This was last updated today April 6th & I still have nothing.
    Passport not out til June & not going any where but seems strange.
    There’s no one to contact about it also as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

In the paper today that the passport office won’t open still until level 4 (despite them making up restrictions as they go that seem to have little link to the levelsanyway!) and it’ll take 8 weeks to clear the backlog. Even if vaccination programme speeds up and things turn around really fast I won’t be going anywhere this year as I have a new baby who needs a first application and I have to send in our passports. The Gardai signed for us so it’s all ready to go :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

gozunda wrote: »
    There would be significant GDPR and potential security issues Afaik doing that type of work 'at home'

Not the case.

An Garda Siochana, Revenue & Dept of Social Protection have large numbers of staff working remotely.

I believe it's a quite specific IT issue precluding Passport office staff from working from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not the case.

An Garda Siochana, Revenue & Dept of Social Protection have large numbers of staff working remotely.

I believe it's a quite specific IT issue precluding Passport office staff from working from home.

They may have. Thats beside the point

Where wfh involves sensitive data ie unsecured locations etc then that's a significant issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My husband can renew his EU country passport in the embassy in Ireland in a 4 week time slot . My daughter cannot renew her Irish passport ( change of name ) here in Ireland for the forseeable future
    Its absolutely scandalous now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

gozunda wrote: »
    Where wfh involves sensitive data ie unsecured locations etc then that's a significant issue.

Yet myriad organisations across industry and the public sector the world over have felt comfortable to take the plunge.

I just don't understand how the DFA is getting away with keeping the passport office closed.

Sure on this basis they could stay closed all summer?

They could have one person on their own processing documents etc. so their position on social distancing is nonsense. It's just an excuse to block people from travelling.

I just don't understand how the DFA is getting away with keeping the passport office closed.

Sure on this basis they could stay closed all summer?

They could have one person on their own processing documents etc. so their position on social distancing is nonsense. It's just an excuse to block people from travelling.

They could at least do applications from Ireland first and do the Brexit ones next month or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rf1980

Renewed my passport online last Sunday. Received new passport in the post on Friday. Still to receive my passport card.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

rf1980 wrote: »
    Renewed my passport online last Sunday. Received new passport in the post on Friday. Still to receive my passport card.

I have no idea how some people are getting them & others aren’t. Mine was a simple renewal, the money left my bank account on March 3rd & I haven’t heard anything since other than that it is in process when I try to track it, with the estimated delivery date of March 15th. If there was an email address to contact or number to ring it would help to put peoples mind’s at ease at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

DiscoStew wrote: »
    I have no idea how some people are getting them & others aren’t. Mine was a simple renewal, the money left my bank account on March 3rd & I haven’t heard anything since other than that it is in process when I try to track it, with the estimated delivery date of March 15th. If there was an email address to contact or number to ring it would help to put peoples mind’s at ease at least.

Same in this house. Wife renewed just a few weeks before Christmas. Money taken immediately from card and still no passport. Disgraceful service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

My renewal passport arrived 3 days after submitting online last week. Fantastic service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Applied online Tuesday, despatched yesterday, should be here tomorrow, passport card being printed today to arrive later.

Incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Applied online Tuesday, despatched yesterday, should be here tomorrow, passport card being printed today to arrive later.

Incredible.
    Passport card will be default show "Printing" with current date.
    Mine has been "Printing" since "Jan 31st" with the date updating everytime I track the request - passport book was delivered within 4 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

talla wrote: »
    Passport card will be default show "Printing" with current date.
    Mine has been "Printing" since "Jan 31st" with the date updating everytime I track the request - passport book was delivered within 4 days.

I don't mind that, I got the actual passport yesterday, that's good enough for me for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

talla wrote: »
    Anyway, I applied for the passport card at the same time, there has been no progress on that yet.

Same. Applied for passport on 04/01/2021 and got it in days. The cards still shows as printing over 3 months later

Nevermind. The passport book got me to tenerife so all's good :D

Ps didnt mean to hit the thumbs down.

• Advertisement

slightly off topic, but when is the government actually planning to officially declare a move to "level 4" or is the plan to keep level 5 with increasing modifications for the rest of the year or beyond, going from level 5- to level 5---- (minus, minus, minus, minus)

The press releases and soundbites from politicans are wishy washy with just specific relaxation measures mentioned and it seems the only people following the levels are the passport office, in order to avoid having to process passports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

slightly off topic, but when is the government actually planning to officially declare a move to "level 4" or is the plan to keep level 5 with increasing modifications for the rest of the year or beyond, going from level 5- to level 5---- (minus, minus, minus, minus)

The press releases and soundbites from politicans are wishy washy with just specific relaxation measures mentioned and it seems the only people following the levels are the passport office, in order to avoid having to process passports.

None of us can know the answer to that. And the passport office are producing passports

Caranica wrote: »
    None of us can know the answer to that. And the passport office are producing passports
    thanks. I didnt miss any announcement then so .

We need to make a kids application so cant get around the paper form requirement unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

thanks. I didnt miss any announcement then so .

We need to make a kids application so cant get around the paper form requirement unfortunately.

I’ve been trying to establish this too. It seems level 5 is being amended, so we could have outdoor dining etc but still be called level 5! It makes no sense but until they call it level 4 the passport office won’t process the ones with supporting documents. There was a number of parliamentary questions being put forward by various TDs on the matter but I don’t know if they were asked about answered. When the announcement comes next week about the restrictions in May and June I think we will know.

The matter was indeed mentioned in the dail yesterday
    The backlog of 92,000 applications in the passport system will be cleared within six to eight weeks once level 5 restrictions are eased, the Dáil has been told.

Two thirds of the applications were for renewals, he said, adding that during the current restrictions, Passport Office officials issued 40,000 passports, 3,000 of which were in response to urgent requests.

He said Passport Office staff had been involved in assisting the HSE with contact tracing and the Department of Social Protection with Covid benefits.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/backlog-of-92-000-passport-applications-in-system-d%C3%A1il-hears-1.4545180

so, 6 to 8 weeks, from the moment "level 5" is lifted in name.
    If thats the end of May start of June, you are looking at getting a childs passport just before or in August. If its the end of June or start of July, it could be September and the kids are back in school by the time it comes in the post.

Looking at the plan with the levels, you can do more in level 5 (minus) with the restrictions than level 4 - anyhow, it's a joke but what can you do.

the latest
    Mr Coveney said a resumption of some passport processing will not happen until the declaration of Level 4, while full services will be dependent on a declaration of Level 3.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/anxious-wait-for-passports-once-eu-travel-is-allowed-as-backlog-hits-89000-40359765.html

the cynical part of you would think they were deliberately looking to obstruct foreign travel.
    That could never possibly be the case for the most european of countries, oh hang on, maybe we have seen this strategy before ......
    Coalition wanted to shut out travel for tourist season with jab passport delay

The Government tried to block attempts to open up foreign travel during the summer tourist season.
    The EU is bringing in vaccine passports to allow people to travel once they have had the Covid-19 jab.
    But the Government sought to delay its introduction until after the summer, despite ministers publicly hailing the move.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/coalition-wanted-to-shut-out-travel-for-tourist-season-with-jab-passport-delay-40322401.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

the cynical part of you would think they were deliberately looking to obstruct foreign travel.

How dare you accused lying, scumbag politicians of... Oh wait.

First, is it actually true they have no passport renewals whatsoever (bar emergency) at present?

This wasn't the situation at the beginning of the year when i received my online renewal.

If it is true, it seems like a deliberate attempt to prevent people travelling overseas. It's not a good enough excuse to talk about the safety of passport processing staff if the true reason is to enforce a ban on international travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

My passport expired in November but kept putting off applying as I knew the passport office was closed as long as we were in Level 5. Read a few posts on here that said they received passports despite them being closed.

Filled out the online application on Sunday morning, took the photos on my phone and paid the €75. Passport arrived this morning! Delighted. It was probably as straight forward as a renewal as possible (same name, same address, no new info to provide) but just thought I'd share here and hope it helps another few in the same boat.

My passport expired in November but kept putting off applying as I knew the passport office was closed as long as we were in Level 5. Read a few posts on here that said they received passports despite them being closed.

Filled out the online application on Sunday morning, took the photos on my phone and paid the €75. Passport arrived this morning! Delighted. It was probably as straight forward as a renewal as possible (same name, same address, no new info to provide) but just thought I'd share here and hope it helps another few in the same boat.
    straight forward adult renewals seem to have been getting processed for the past little while but anything involving anything to do with paper wasnt being processed...... but the online status website is reporting that some of the processes are being updated today so there may be a bit of progress to report by tomorrow.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

I am resigned that we might need to wait another year or 2 before getting our childs passport, but on the positive, anyone applying for a passport (which god knows when it will be processed) should have it easier as one of the changes "will make it easier to upload the picture for your baby’s first passport "

We had awful trouble and cost with professional photographers getting photos for the kids passports when they were infants so at least new parents wont have that problem.... they just have the problem of the never ending Level 5--- (and the number of minuses get longer by the week)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

straight forward adult renewals seem to have been getting processed for the past little while but anything involving anything to do with paper wasnt being processed...... but the online status website is reporting that some of the processes are being updated today so there may be a bit of progress to report by tomorrow.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

I am resigned that we might need to wait another year or 2 before getting our childs passport, but on the positive, anyone applying for a passport (which god knows when it will be processed) should have it easier as one of the changes "will make it easier to upload the picture for your baby’s first passport "

We had awful trouble and cost with professional photographers getting photos for the kids passports when they were infants so at least new parents wont have that problem.... they just have the problem of the never ending Level 5--- (and the number of minuses get longer by the week)

“Year or two” - you reckon?

• Advertisement
Advertisement