Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Departed pets;

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Budgese i can see attitude bursting out of that photo. It is a rollercoaster with them, i'm sorry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Jellybear, i'm sorry about Ella, you must be heartbroken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Dear Ella, you're finally home with us. The hole you leave in our hearts will never be filled. I promise we'll always remember you and your beautiful face. We'll chat about you and remember the amazing near 13 years we had with you. Sleep tight. We love you forever. Our best girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

jellybear wrote: »
    Dear Ella, you're finally home with us. The hole you leave in our hearts will never be filled. I promise we'll always remember you and your beautiful face. We'll chat about you and remember the amazing near 13 years we had with you. Sleep tight. We love you forever. Our best girl.

That's just beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

That is a wonderful tribute to a wonderful girl. I'm sure she is thanking you for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

One year today,Toby. He is still such a part of our lifes, our conversation, Can smile and laugh at all his antics . and get tearful. Still miss you so very much My best little man..

my sister sent this to me. I hope you don't mind me sharing.

A poem by Gene Hill.

“He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being, by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him.

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags.

Without him, I am only another person. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.
    His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me… whenever… wherever – in case I need him. And I expect I will – as I always have.

To everyone who's lost their friend,, their pet, you are not alone. Best wishes for 2021 x

[IMG][/img]PhFquMmm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Beautiful poem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

That is beautiful sdp. I’m in tears here, thinking of my Toby too, who had to leave me on 3rd October 2019.

I often think how he would have loved lockdown - humans at home every day and available for cuddles or a quick ball game during work breaks, lol.

Gone but never forgotten.

It's a very moving poem, it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

He’s gone 6 years tomorrow.

Today was the day that in the early part of it he seemed brighter and that evening he just deteriorated so quickly. That was the moment when you realise that this is something serious. I can still point to the piece of ground I was standing on the following morning when the vet told us we were at the end of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

He wasnt my pet but I know he was beloved by many..... RIP Raoul OToole
    My own Tiger was of a similar vintage when he went to play with the country mice...

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/community-mourns-brays-wee-legend-19868480

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

pottokblue wrote: »
    My own Tiger was of a similar vintage when he went to play with the country mice...

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/community-mourns-brays-wee-legend-19868480
    That's awful news, he was a lovely cat, had his own little "kennel" outside, and was always up for a stroke although once he'd had enough, he let you know! RIP Raoul.

Poor little fellow, he had a very rich life indeed, he met thousands people no doubt. RIP Raoul O'Toole.

P.S.: How do they know he was 21?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

P.S.: How do they know he was 21?
    Probably just based on a guess as to his age when he first came to them I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Just lost Timmy,Hit by a car and looks like it was instant.

He wandered into our lives with a litter of kittens from this lovely stray cat about 9 years ago,Was 4 in total i think but this one kitten stood out,Small and fluffy,They were all feral but we would leave food out for them.

One day i noticed that the other kittens were not letting the little fluffy one the space and time to eat,Decision was made to try feed him separately as he was starting to look sick and we were sure he would not make it.
    Attempts were made and anyway he got enough to survive through the early stages.

Think it was a case that they used come and go for a long time,But finally it only ended up with Timmy that would show up on occasion,Still scared of humans but i don't recall him ever hissing.Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

3 years or so later he was a bit more approachable and around that time he damaged his tail,Maybe got caught on something-I don't know.
    Used be bleeding yet he seemed to just get on with it,Finally with him being approachable enough to get him into a cage he was taken to the vets and most of the tail removed.After this i spent long days and nights trying to reassure him while he was in the unfamiliar surroundings of a old curtain covered room in the house,He managed to figure out the litter box and while it was a struggle to keep him occupied and to stay in the house it was then i came to a realization that there was something special about the little guy,Maybe it was a sense of calmness that he had,Hard to tell really.

5 or 6 days later it was time to leave him out and hope that the stitches would be okay,And that he would not hold it against us.That evening he returned.

Over the next few years he became tamer and tamer,Friendlier and friendlier and somehow loved by even people who normally cant stand cat's.And all the time he would ramble the countryside,At times glad to sleep inside or in a little house i bought for him that he could use outside.Keeping the dog company on colder nights.

Collected him from the roadside earlier,Owed him the dignity to not lay there,He now is buried in the garden near my dog i lost 15 years ago.

As strange as it may seem i used think it a privilege that he would call for his dinner or call over in a evening to just sit on my lap and sleep for a half hour.Such a peaceful little guy,Will be missed more than can be put into words.

4 plus years later and again a void is deep inside.
    Timmy had been father to a couple of kittens only 5 months or so prior to leaving us.

Once Timmy died i made a promise to myself and Timmy that i would do my best to look after his 2 little kittens.

Over 4 years the played,they wrecked havoc, they prowled like professionals.
    They showed love and had lots of soft beds to rest in a nice warm shed.

Blackie and Whitie, both black but whitie with a little dash of white on her chest. Temporary names that stuck.

Blackie stopped eting last week and went to the vet where they idenfified a blockage in the colon, she returned home with me and with some optimism and laxative there was hope for a quick fix.
    Not to be, she didnt eat and a few days later i brought her in again, still looking well and in her usual cat form.

She was taken in for the night for an Xray. Came back showing a massive blockage and damage to the colon. Even with entensive and costly treatment the prognosis was not good.

I made the decision,went in, held her and told her she was the best girl, petted her and tried to let her feel my love for her.
    She looked great,full of pain relief and hydrated by fluids.

She went as peacefully as i could have hoped for, quick and with my hands resting petting her.

One of the most difficult moments i have ever experienced and trust me i have seen too many things that should not be seen. But the emotions were uncontrollable.

I never seem to realise how much of an impact these animals make on me until they are gone.
    I feel they are a gift us mere humans maybe dont deserve. They give us so much joy and make each day a little easier and what thanks do they get in return.

I hope everyone reading this can take away one point. Even though watching my little blackie being put to sleep was heartbreaking i needed to be there to make sure she felt the love i have for her. To hear me saying she was the best little kitty as she left our world. Painful but a respect i needed to give her for 4 years of joy.

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    She went as peacefully as i could have hoped for, quick and with my hands resting petting her.

One of the most difficult moments i have ever experienced and trust me i have seen too many things that should not be seen. But the emotions were uncontrollable.

I never seem to realise how much of an impact these animals make on me until they are gone.
    I feel they are a gift us mere humans maybe dont deserve. They give us so much joy and make each day a little easier and what thanks do they get in return.

I hope everyone reading this can take away one point. Even though watching my little blackie being put to sleep was heartbreaking i needed to be there to make sure she felt the love i have for her. To hear me saying she was the best little kitty as she left our world. Painful but a respect i needed to give her for 4 years of joy.

One of the most heart-crushing posts I've ever read.
    It's so full of love and despair and again love that it's going to burst. I'm glad to read there's someone who feels animals like I do.
    I wish you a quick recovery from this huge and incredible pain, I know that Whitie will be a great comfort for you, and I send a kiss to Blackie, up there on her soft cloud, where's she purring down at you.

CB19Kevo, So sorry for your lost, RIP Blackie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭amytomjerry

Said Goodbye to my beautiful lab X , Daina aged 13 this morning..diagnosed with lung cancer last Thursday and rapidly went downhill over the weekend..I couldn't watch her suffer any longer..her breathing was laboured and I knew it was time to let go. It was so peaceful at the vets, he came out to the car and we held her , talking to her while she went to sleep. Buried her in the garden under a blue sky and sunshine. A most loyal, kind dog..I will forever miss herX

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Said Goodbye to my beautiful lab X , Daina aged 13 this morning..diagnosed with lung cancer last Thursday and rapidly went downhill over the weekend..I couldn't watch her suffer any longer..her breathing was laboured and I knew it was time to let go. It was so peaceful at the vets, he came out to the car and we held her , talking to her while she went to sleep. Buried her in the garden under a blue sky and sunshine. A most loyal, kind dog..I will forever miss herX

Oh God you poor thing, that was so rapid, the great joy our animals bring us, we rarely get to choose our cats as somehow some poor kittens gets dumped near us and they tend to find a home here, our golden lab is coming 14 shortly and she is on a fine dosage of medication and getting slower each day . When the time is right for you, perhaps you can give another pet the wonderful life they deserve ( from a rescue place or if they just get dumped).

Be kind to yourself and it is very hard to loose your dog that way and so rapid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

amytomjerry I have a beloved ginger cat buried in the back yard a little later I planted a rosebush over him and now every year when it blooms I think of him perhaps next winter/spring plant a plant you like over Dainas resting patch??

Yes it was such a shock hearing the news last Thursday...she had just started a dry hacking cough..she had arthritis too...so I suppose the last couple of days we spent grieving for we knew her days were numbered..at least we got to give her lots of cuddles and could thank her properly for being the dear, kind dog she was...you are blessed your lab is doing so well! that's wonderful!
    Thank you so much for your kind words.

amytomjerry I have a beloved ginger cat buried in the back yard a little later I planted a rosebush over him and now every year when it blooms I think of him perhaps next winter/spring plant a plant you like over Dainas resting patch??

This is such a lovely idea...yes I think I will do something like this..perhaps daffodils or bluebells...thank you...

@amytomjerry,
    what a sad news! It was so quick you hadn't the time to prepare for her departure, though we are never prepared, are we?
    RIP Daina :(

@amytomjerry,
    what a sad news! It was so quick you hadn't the time to prepare for her departure, though we are never prepared, are we?
    RIP Daina :(

Its been agonising...miss her terribly this morning...house so empty...nothing would ever prepare you for the loss of a pet...sometimes I wonder if I will ever stop crying...thanks for your kind words

Its been agonising...miss her terribly this morning...house so empty...nothing would ever prepare you for the loss of a pet...sometimes I wonder if I will ever stop crying...thanks for your kind words

You probably will, or at least you will cry less often and with less pain in your heart.
    At the end of this month it'll be 4 years since the death of my sweet cat Lola
    ( https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103141651&postcount=1718 ), and I'm still crying on certain days, and she's still here in my heart every minute of my life.
    I hope you have a softer pain by the day.

• Advertisement

@amytomjerry, What a shock for you, thankfully you were there to give her cuddles,and send her to a pain free place.

Please give yourself time to cry and think of her, talk about her.

It will get easier over time, you will cry less, and be able to smile and laugh about the wonderful life you had together,and all the things she done to make your life a better one. you will never forget her.

There is nothing worse then that empty house feeling, it rips your heart apart, but that to, will get eaiser.

Be kind to yourself, All of us who has lost their beloved pets, are here for you.

Run free Daina.. RIP

sdp wrote: »
    @amytomjerry, What a shock for you, thankfully you were there to give her cuddles,and send her to a pain free place.

Please give yourself time to cry and think of her, talk about her.

It will get easier over time, you will cry less, and be able to smile and laugh about the wonderful life you had together,and all the things she done to make your life a better one. you will never forget her.

There is nothing worse then that empty house feeling, it rips your heart apart, but that to, will get eaiser.

Be kind to yourself, All of us who has lost their beloved pets, are here for you.

Run free Daina.. RIP[/quote

Thank you so much for this..everything you have written resonates with me. I know it will get easier in time. Your words have helped alot..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

You're gone just over a week, my little monster man. For a pet that I only got cos I couldn't have a dog at the time, I really did grow to love you. I miss your rustles in your tank. Or the occasional thud when you'd half jump off your log for no discernable reason :)

I miss you chasing hoppers and crickets manically with your tongue out. I miss giving you chin rubs. And wearing you on my jumpers like the biggest, weirdest brooch ever.

I'll always wish I'd been a better owner. Given more time or care. You never ever got mad, cranky. Always the perfect beardy. And you kept me company over 11 years, through my different homes, relationships, friendships, all the million changes my life has had in that time.

I'll really miss you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

I don't say this to cause an argument but I've struggled to understand how people get another pet after one dies?

My dog of 16 years died in 2020 and it was deeply upsetting and still is. I could never bring myself to get another pet as I feel like it would feel like my old dog meant nothing, plus going through another death like that I'd rather not sign up to again.

Its an odd thing losing a pet, it seems silly to say but its like losing a child as in my case, I saw my dog grow from a puppy and had to look after him for his whole life like you would your own child.

Speaking purely for myself, and I've had a large number of pets- dogs, cats, rabbits, budgies, hamsters and fish, one was never a replacement for another.

A home, to us, has pets so we as a family were never without one. I heard, many years ago, that animals live for less time so we can home and love more of them, if that's what we choose to do. I personally believe that completely.

I guess another part of me feels that we know how to make a pet a central part of our family and while losing them is beyond heart breaking, by allowing another one into our lives, we know we'll give them the best life possible. They'll only know love, warmth, kindness and a full belly!! They could end up living an awful life and knowing that won't happen if we home them, it gives you a wonderful feeling.

That's just my opinion anyway. I completely understand that some owners just don't have room in their hearts for another pet but maybe, in time, they might and if not, that's absolutely fine. To each their own :)

• Advertisement

We lost our beautiful, loving girl in January , 3 weeks shy of her 16th birthday.

We found her shivering, scared, tiny, alone, 3 months old, at the side of a busy cross road, by chance, where she had been dumped. We were meant to find her, I believe. We brought her home to be given to the local animal rescue to be rehomed. She never left.

Such a fantastic, positive little dog, never one days bother from the day she arrived, till the day we let her go.

I'm ready to offer another little girl the same life, knowing, that in 15 -16 years (hopefully) that I will go through this again.

The day you get them, is the day you know you will have to let them go.

It is the times in between that make it all worthwhile.

I don't say this to cause an argument but I've struggled to understand how people get another pet after one dies?

My dog of 16 years died in 2020 and it was deeply upsetting and still is. I could never bring myself to get another pet as I feel like it would feel like my old dog meant nothing, plus going through another death like that I'd rather not sign up to again.

Its an odd thing losing a pet, it seems silly to say but its like losing a child as in my case, I saw my dog grow from a puppy and had to look after him for his whole life like you would your own child.

This is what I always said after each loss. I had always promised myself not to get another pet because the pain to stand for their death was too strong and unbearable, and because I didn't want to replace my previous pet, I didn't want to erase the memory of them, nor did I want to feel my previous pet wasn't meant anything.

But keep in mind that it's not us to look for another pet, it's them looking for us. You can't plan your fate, the fate is already set for you, and the next pet is out there looking for you, and on the day they will find you, you won't turn your back on them.

I heard, many years ago, that animals live for less time so we can home and love more of them, if that's what we choose to do. I personally believe that completely.

My point of view is that we can help more of them.

anewme wrote: »
    The day you get them, is the day you know you will have to let them go.

It is the times in between that make it all worthwhile.

You made me cry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

For me there was never a question whether or not I would get another cat when mine passed away last November. And my new cat will never replace my little yowler, he's just a new friend that was in need. I'm still very emotional about her loss but I believe that getting another rescue was the best way to honour her and keep her memory alive for me. New cat reminds me of her every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I’m heartbroken I had to put my dog of 14 years down, he had a great temperament and was such a loyal dog.

I will have his ashes next week and he will always have a permanent home with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Sorry for your loss Darren.

Lovely photo of a handsome boy!

Take comfort in the knowledge that you did right by him when he needed you most.

May he rest in peace, x

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I’m heartbroken I had to put my dog of 14 years down, he had a great temperament and was such a loyal dog.

I will have his ashes next week and he will always have a permanent home with us.

so sorry for the loss of your beloved dog...14 years..what a great fulfilling life he had..

So sorry Darren, it's so, so heartbreaking, thinking of you.

So sorry Darren, what a great age, my heart goes out to you, RIP sweet boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Thanks for the kind words, I was quite worried about my little other dog thought she might be depressed over him gone.

They grew up together but she is an energetic 14 year old Jack Russel, she definitely knew he wasn’t ok always licking him. Sometimes he had to be lifted up and she wouldn’t let us as she probably thought he was hurt. She also sleeps in his bed most of the time.

She keeps me going and a daily reminder why I will always have a home for a dog.

R.I.P Milo

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

We lost our beloved Sadie overnight got the call this morning from the vets. To say we are heartbroken is an understatement. Got her and her sister from the pound as pups 13 years ago. They have been with me through thick and thin through the loss of my mother. My eyes are so puffy I can barely see what I'm writing. She was loved so much and her place in our home will never be filled. RIP my little babybumbum.

sadie1502 wrote: »
    We lost our beloved Sadie overnight got the call this morning from the vets. To say we are heartbroken is an understatement. Got her and her sister from the pound as pups 13 years ago. They have been with me through thick and thin through the loss of my mother. My eyes are so puffy I can barely see what I'm writing. She was loved so much and her place in our home will never be filled. RIP my little babybumbum.

So sorry for the loss of your beloved Sadie, no doubt she has left a hole in your family that will hardly or never filled.
    You loved her so much, she loved you so much in return. Such a strong bound will be never broken.
    RIP dear Sadie.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

So sorry for the loss of your beloved Sadie, no doubt she has left a hole in your family that will hardly or never filled.
    You loved her so much, she loved you so much in return. Such a strong bound will be never broken.
    RIP dear Sadie.

Thanks Irish Stones. A part of me is gone with her. She was such a big character. Can't stop crying.

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Thanks Irish Stones. A part of me is gone with her. She was such a big character. Can't stop crying.

Think of the good times. Mind yourself.

So sorry for your loss, its heartbreaking for you all, She will always be in your heart and memories. R.I.P sweet girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm very sad and sorry to say I had to let Lucy go today :(

She was 14 at Christmas. I suppose she had been slowing down for a while but the last couple of months she started going downhill.

She was having difficulty walking or standing and because of that recently she was finding it difficult to go to the toilet. The vet put her on steroids a while back and assured me she wasn't in pain. She was just getting weaker and weaker.

It's seems like only a couple of years since I made a big round trip to Fermanagh to collect her one frosty and foggy day in February 2007.

She was great company for those years and I believe I looked after her well.

Gone to join Zoe Molly and Hayley at the Bridge, it doesn't get any easier.

Lucy aka Tinkerbelle's Little Angel (GB) 26/12/06 - 10/05/21

First pic first day home

Second: Flying on the boardwalk on Diamond Hill

Third: A recent snap in March

Lucy.jpg

lfd.jpg

20210321_210019.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy. You must be heartbroken.
    I absolutely adore that second picture, on Diamond Hill. Captures such a happy, carefree doggy!! One for a frame.
    Sending you big hugs at this incredibly difficult time.
    Sleep tight Lucy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm very sad and sorry to say I had to let Lucy go today :(

She was 14 at Christmas. I suppose she had been slowing down for a while but the last couple of months she started going downhill.

She was having difficulty walking or standing and because of that recently she was finding it difficult to go to the toilet. The vet put her on steroids a while back and assured me she wasn't in pain. She was just getting weaker and weaker.

It's seems like only a couple of years since I made a big round trip to Fermanagh to collect her one frosty and foggy day in February 2007.

She was great company for those years and I believe I looked after her well.

Gone to join Zoe Molly and Hayley at the Bridge, it doesn't get any easier.

Lucy aka Tinkerbelle's Little Angel (GB) 26/12/06 - 10/05/21

First pic first day home

Second: Flying on the boardwalk on Diamond Hill

Third: A recent snap in March

Lucy.jpg

lfd.jpg

20210321_210019.jpg

So sorry to hear this, I remember your Lhasa girls from years ago, as we've one who was 12 at the weekend. They are such funny little dogs, so calm and cuddly, yet mad and full of life too, wonderful companions.
    Thinking of you.

• Advertisement

Oh CH i'm so sorry. Heartbreaking

Advertisement