Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax on the year a couple seperate?

• 13-12-2019 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭

So just a question.
    So the year in which a couple separate how does it work?
    Jointly assessed and myself with all the credits.
    Wife also works.

So just can’t get my head around the credits.

So it says that the year you separate the assessable spouse will be taxed on both incomes up until the date of separation after that date can continue on with the married tax bands on their income ... is that correct?

The non assessable spouse from the date of separation will be taxed as a single and get single persons tax credits.

So what I am asking is after separation will I continue to have the same band as an assessable spouse as I do now and my wife as the non assessable spouse get her credits increased to the single rate band for the remainder of the year?

So basically I can have the 44k tax band and hers will increase to the 35k single band?

So do I still have her credits for the remainder of the year and she gets an increase to the single rate?

Seems like the best thing to do or i probably getting it wrong as it seems like a win , which is unlikely with revenue.

We were going to go for seperate assessment so she can get her credits back and I can avail of the SPCCC credit.

But if I am reading correct then we would have a bigger tax band not going for spccc?

Advertisement