Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in NI and ROI

Options
  • 12-12-2019 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I live in NI and have a part time job here. I live on the border and have had a job offer of another part time job in ROI.

So I would be working both jobs. How does this work in terms of tax?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ardgorm

Thank you but am I correct in saying that is only applicable if you live in ROI? I live in NI

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Hi all! I am following this as I was hoping to follow the same as the OP.
    Live in NI and work in ROI, with the added constraint that I am a European rather than Irish citizen.
    I had looked at the link for the citizens info site and indeed it only refers to examples of people living in ROI and working in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

Check out borderpeople.info which has information about Frontier working and tax

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi all! I am following this as I was hoping to follow the same as the OP.
    Live in NI and work in ROI, with the added constraint that I am a European rather than Irish citizen.
    I had looked at the link for the citizens info site and indeed it only refers to examples of people living in ROI and working in NI.
    So we Irish citizens are not European citizens?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

As you live in NI you should make it clear if you are subject to Irish tax on your ROI income. As a UK resident, you would be taxed on your "world wide income" i.e. you would pay UK income tax on your ROI income. You should firstly check in your ROI job if you pay tax on that and how it works.

There is a double tax agreement between in UK and ROI, which means that if you are subject to Irish tax on your ROI income, and then you have to pay UK tax on your ROI income (gross). In the UK you will get a credit for the amount of tax you pay on your ROI income, so the amount of tax you actually pay nets out as if you are taxed for your ROI income in the UK.

Check out https://www. gov. uk/tax-foreign-income/taxed-twice which has info for cross border workers on the UK side. I would also check with payroll in the ROI job to see how they will treat your income tax wise.

If anyone is living in ROI and working in NI there is a cross border works relief available.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

So we Irish citizens are not European citizens?

Yes of course Irish citizens are European and so are UK citizens, for the time being anyway :)
    What I meant was I am not native to Ireland, as far as I am aware the UK government gives Irish citizens life less "complicated" in terms of free movement between countries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ardgorm

user.name wrote: »
    As you live in NI you should make it clear if you are subject to Irish tax on your ROI income. As a UK resident, you would be taxed on your "world wide income" i.e. you would pay UK income tax on your ROI income. You should firstly check in your ROI job if you pay tax on that and how it works.

There is a double tax agreement between in UK and ROI, which means that if you are subject to Irish tax on your ROI income, and then you have to pay UK tax on your ROI income (gross). In the UK you will get a credit for the amount of tax you pay on your ROI income, so the amount of tax you actually pay nets out as if you are taxed for your ROI income in the UK.

I don't earn enough in NI alone to be taxed by UK and I done earn enough in ROI to be taxed by them.

Combining both incomes I understand I may be liable to pay tax in NI. My question now is how do I go about this? Is it an end of year thing...but then the tax years are different between both systems! I'm just very confused

Advertisement