Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A golfer in Ireland with 5 Holes in One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Neworld17 wrote: »

Corballis is the dream golf club for hole in 1s as seen here , even if 5 is still amazing.

It kind of backs up my point on the top 100 list on other thread .

In corballis there are par 3s everywhere (almost).

But some you are hitting SW, a couple need a 52 another a 9 iron another an 8/9 .

Also a couple of pins enable you to go to side or over flag to spin at flag . Even bad shots can end up close that landed off the green.

It a strange course.

But 5 is bloody impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

https://connachttribune.ie/frank-tees-66-million-one-shot-533/

Two in one round and they weren't short holes either!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

We had two golfers from the same group have a hole in one on the same hole a few months back. Think our total competitive hole in ones for the year was 11.

https://twitter.com/WicklowGolfClub/status/1175134858034798593?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Neworld17 wrote: »
    Could they think of a more stupid way to present this data than a 5 minute YouTube video of spinning text?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

fearruanua wrote: »
    https://connachttribune.ie/frank-tees-66-million-one-shot-533/

Two in one round and they weren't short holes either!!!

This happened in our course a couple of years ago as well, 9 pts in 2 holes and he still didn't finish in the top 5:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Corballis is the dream golf club for hole in 1s as seen here , even if 5 is still amazing.

It kind of backs up my point on the top 100 list on other thread .

In corballis there are par 3s everywhere (almost).

But some you are hitting SW, a couple need a 52 another a 9 iron another an 8/9 .

Also a couple of pins enable you to go to side or over flag to spin at flag . Even bad shots can end up close that landed off the green.

It a strange course.

But 5 is bloody impressive.

I've played with him once, he is off 2. Really tidy golfer but 5 is seriously impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thargor wrote: »
    Could they think of a more stupid way to present this data than a 5 minute YouTube video of spinning text?

Probably not, I exited the movie before I saw a single golf ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Can't be arsed watching youtube video, especially after comments:P:P

Was it 5 hole in ones in a round?

If so that's impressive, although Corballis is like a P&P course really.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

JCDUB wrote: »
    Can't be arsed watching youtube video, especially after comments:P:P

Was it 5 hole in ones in a round?

If so that's impressive, although Corballis is like a P&P course really.

Corballis has 7 par 3s by my count, and I’d say the average in Ireland is between 4 and 5. There’s also not really any of the par 4s that are somewhat drivable (the 2nd and 11th both are short enough, but the green is completely blind from the tee and in reality are very rarely taken on).

Whilst it definitely increase your chances, it doesn’t even double the probability, so if the lad in question was playing somewhere more normal, he would statistically at least have 3 holes in one by now on a more regular par 72

7 par threes, above average alright but comparing it to a pitch and putt course is ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

HighLine wrote: »
    We had two golfers from the same group have a hole in one on the same hole a few months back. Think our total competitive hole in ones for the year was 11.

Talk about stealing your thunder! Imagine you just holed your first ace, all the cheers, high 5s, etc, only for the next guy to go and do the same thing :mad:

Corballis has 7 par 3s by my count, and I’d say the average in Ireland is between 4 and 5. There’s also not really any of the par 4s that are somewhat drivable (the 2nd and 11th both are short enough, but the green is completely blind from the tee and in reality are very rarely taken on).

Whilst it definitely increase your chances, it doesn’t even double the probability, so if the lad in question was playing somewhere more normal, he would statistically at least have 3 holes in one by now on a more regular par 72

but there are par 3s that are far shorter than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

but there are par 3s that are far shorter than average.

Both 4 and 6 are short, less than 120 yards, the others are all 140 plus, and 9 and 10 are both closer to 200 off the tips. The slopes on the greens on 13 and 17 make them extremely challenging.

4 and 6 are admittedly very short, but they’re both well bunkered with small undulating greens. I’m not pretending they’re overly tough, but at the same time I bet the average golfer would find them tougher than a big standard flat 150 yarder found in 90% of the parklands in Ireland.

Both 4 and 6 are short, less than 120 yards, the others are all 140 plus, and 9 and 10 are both closer to 200 off the tips. The slopes on the greens on 13 and 17 make them extremely challenging.

4 and 6 are admittedly very short, but they’re both well bunkered with small undulating greens. I’m not pretending they’re overly tough, but at the same time I bet the average golfer would find them tougher than a big standard flat 150 yarder found in 90% of the parklands in Ireland.

I know the course very well.

You couldn't play a better course to get hole in ones.

I witnessed 2 , and never witnessed any on any other course. Ive come very close there about 10 times.

2 others nearly 3 in summer are pws/9irons

1, 13 , 17.

And in certain pin positions there is a natural backstop and
    ball can spin back, roll back to hole.

4/6 are a 52 , reduced sw. you are going to get some bad shots from that distance close. And I've even bounced of rough bank and got close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Of course it's relatively easy to get holes in one there (still extent hard). But you've 7 par 3s, so there's your first advantage. Furthermore, holes in one are generally scored on the shorter holes. I generally hit a full wedge on 1 and a cut down one on 4, 6, 13 and 17 (depending on wind and flag). Really there's 2 normal length par 3s which can be long or relatively short depending on wind. But I'd say you've 5 holes which would be the most common for holes in one on a lot of courses.

13 and 17 in particular are very difficult holes, but the 4 cut down wedge holes are very penal if you go wrong. But if you're talking about holes in one you're not talking about shots that are 5 yards offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I saw it happen at the old RGSC pitch and putt course in Belgard back in the 70s when a golfer got 2 aces on the first and second hole consecutively.

5 is still bloody remarkable

willabur wrote: »
    5 is still bloody remarkable

it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I wouldn't have thought it possible if he hadn't done it. It's incredible.

Advertisement