Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second electric shower or pumped shower

Options
  • 10-12-2019 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a property that has a 10.5kw electric shower mains fed in the en suite.

I've been toying with a couple of ideas and wanted to get some feedback or advice.

Option 1 is the priority shower I believe where a new electric board is added??

Option 2 add a normal shower with a pump coming from the water tank in the hot press. I've been quoted 1050 on this with pump (medium range metal thats some way silent) taps and fittings etc.

Is option 2 the best way and money wise does that seem okay as in could option 1 be cheaper? I'm tight cause of xmas but need the job done. I'm guessing parts are about 600 in that so it's probably not that bad as it's probably a prick of a job for him to do. Plumber is decent, he's done work for me before so not questioning his price more the alternative option compared to it.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Option 2 will result in a far superior shower. Price wise, hard to say but I wouldn't think there is much in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

Would something like a Triton power shower be a cheaper (and handier) version of Option 2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭leduigs

2011 wrote: »
    Option 2 will result in a far superior shower. Price wise, hard to say but I wouldn't think there is much in it.

Brilliant, thanks, that's kind of what I was hoping to hear. I'll stick with that so.

1641 wrote: »
    Would something like a Triton power shower be a cheaper (and handier) version of Option 2 ?

See I have a 10.5 Triton already and the fuse board cant handle more than one without work. I was looking to do that myself initially.

leduigs wrote: »
    See I have a 10.5 Triton already and the fuse board cant handle more than one without work. I was looking to do that myself initially.

No - I was referring to a power shower, rather than a pumped electric shower. You need a hot and cold supply for it as it doesn't heat water. It should not affect your fuse board.

Like this one:http://www.tritonshowers.ie/novel

• Advertisement

No - I was referring to a power shower, rather than a pumped electric shower. You need a hot and cold supply for it as it doesn't heat water. It should not affect your fuse board.

Like this one:http://www.tritonshowers.ie/novel

Ah sorry mate, I did ask the plumber about that type and he still steered me to option 2 based off the electrical demand. Do you know can you have that type with an existing electric shower?

Ah sorry mate, I did ask the plumber about that type and he still steered me to option 2 based off the electrical demand. Do you know can you have that type with an existing electric shower?

Bear in mind that I am neither a plumber or electrician. But yes you can run it along with an electric shower.

It is the water heating element of the electric shower that creates the high electrical loading. With a power shower like this one, the pump is in the shower unit rather than having a seperate pump in the hot press. There is no water heating. The hot comes from your tank. It is a different version of your option 2.

Here is a link to an installer for price comparison purposes - I do not know anything about them or their work: https://www.dublinshowerrepair.com/product/triton-novel-sr-thermostatic-silent-running-power-shower/

Or simply to purchase: https://www.barrettsofmaynooth.com/products/new-trinton-novel-silent-run-thermonstatic-power-shower

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Option 2 is the way to go. You'll have the best of both worlds. Instant hot water with the electric shower & great pressure with the power shower when you have a tank of hot water

Thanks all for the feedback, I'll go with the second option so. I like the idea of a nice powerful shower haha!

1641 wrote:

Bar mixer and dedicated pump beats a pump in a plastic box type of shower every day

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Bar mixer and dedicated pump beats a pump in a plastic box type of shower every day

I am sure it does. Its just that the OP put a particular emphasis on cost.

Thanks lads, all feedback is welcome but yea I was specifically wondering if it would be worth the cheaper option but going off everyone's feedback and response I will go with Option 2.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated lads, good to get an idea of what option 1 would have cost too

Thanks everyone, much appreciated lads, good to get an idea of what option 1 would have cost too

Just to be clear. The shower I linked to above is nothing to do with your Option 1. It is more akin to your Option 2, but may work out cheaper.

I am sure, as Sleeper says, your Option 2 is the superior system but it is a bit more complex and, probably, a bit more expensive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am sure, as Sleeper says, your Option 2 is the superior system but it is a bit more complex and, probably, a bit more expensive.

More complex from a plumbing point of view and less complex from an electrical point of view so overall pretty much the same in terms of complexity.

1641 wrote:
    I am sure it does. Its just that the OP put a particular emphasis on cost.

Bar mixer and dedicated pump is cheaper in the long run and gives a far better shower. Less maintenance & zero chance of getting electric shock. Bar mixer gives op the option of a rain head as well as the regular shower head. Triton novel SR 14 lpm. Dedicated pump and bar mixer can be up to 25 lpm

Advertisement