Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Tree and Cats

• 04-12-2019 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

First Christmas as a cat keeper, any suggestions with going for a tree?

We had planned on getting a real tree but we're not sure if they're safer than a fake tree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I may have gotten lucky with my cat but all he's every interested in is batting the baubles. I've had real and fake and we just make sure to only put one or 2 baubles round the lower branches and he's happy out to just play with those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I saw on fb some place selling trees for cats and toddlers. Only the top third has branches :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Depends on how old your cat is. If its and older cat you’ve adopted then it might not be interested in the tree too much except for sitting under it. If its a kitten you’ve got be prepared to haul it out of the tree at least 10 times a day! Lol
    As for the tree itself, a real one is probably heavier and less likely to tip over....that said, if it did fall it may do more damage to both the surrounding area and the cat!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Jackson Galaxy did a video on it recently which may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The best thing you can do is train the cat not to interfere with the tree.

You could also secure the tree to the wall with some string or cable ties so it can't fall over.

Nody wrote: »
    Jackson Galaxy did a video on it recently which may help.

Excellent, thanks!!

I'm curious why he recommends a fake tree, aside from the health reasons, do cats not climb fake trees?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

GingerLily wrote: »
    I'm curious why he recommends a fake tree, aside from the health reasons, do cats not climb fake trees?
    I can guess two reasons; harder to climb (worse grip to dig into so to speak) and less weight if it falls over. As someone who's seen Christmas trees with 3+ cats in them I can understand both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Neither of my cats are much bothered by our trees
    My husband attached a hook to the wall in the corner of the room where we always put our tree, and I 'TIE' the tree to the wall hook with a green ribbon, just in case someone decides to go mad :D at least the tree cant/wont fall over.

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    Neither of my cats are much bothered by our trees
    My husband attached a hook to the wall in the corner of the room where we always put our tree, and I 'TIE' the tree to the wall hook with a green ribbon, just in case someone decides to go mad :D at least the tree cant/wont fall over.

I think we'll definitely anchor it too, makes sense!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

We don't have a tree. But well..i don't think there is anything you can do.

Even if there is not low branches ...they will jump. Maybe just don't leave them in the room alone with it.

We used the guide Jackson Galaxy.

We bought a fake tree and put it up last night undecorated to get them used to it and they don't want to climb it yet.

We bought them new toys too to distract them. We'll fix it to the wall too (drilled the hole already, screw is the wrong size)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

GingerLily wrote: »
    We used the guide Jackson Galaxy.

We bought a fake tree and put it up last night undecorated to get them used to it and they don't want to climb it yet.

We bought them new toys too to distract them. We'll fix it to the wall too (drilled the hole already, screw is the wrong size)

I think theres something wrong with my cats - if I shout NO! at them, they stop whatever naughtiness there were doing :eek: :D

I think theres something wrong with my cats - if I shout NO! at them, they stop whatever naughtiness there were doing :eek: :D

Same and they don't do the steroptypical cat things like purposefully knock things off counters or scratch people etc. They never cause trouble with the tree either. One of them took a tiny little plasticky bauble off the very bottom of it last Christmas and knocked it about the house all over Christmas but that was all and it was a cheap little yoke so it was grand. They climb the tree (real) as we're putting it up but once it's decorated and stuff they don't do much, other than sit under it.

Of course now that I've said that, they'll have me tormented this year! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Maybe this would work :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So do mine for which I am deeply thankful! They move too fast for me

In my Siamese days I had one young choc point who adored a Christmas tree... Used to climb it and peep coyly out from the top branches... He also devoured tinsel which I only realised when I saw it emerging at the other end so that got banished.

Until here I had enough rooms to put a small tree in a room they could not go, but here that is impossible. So we will stay treeless.. lost that tree in the move anyways..

Advertisement