Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking up upgrade from my first car, is it worth it?

Options
  • 03-12-2019 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade my car.

I'm 22, been driving roughly a year, named driver at the moment.

2004, 1.4 petrol Golf (Mk5).

I'll be going in my own name next August (When my policy is up).

Should I just wait until I either need to change or I've a years no claims in my own name?

I'm betting I'd just get fleeced if I was to look at anything bigger than a 1.4 at the minute.

Am I right in thinking this? I thought ye lot might now best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

Wait until you need to....or the car is costing you for repairs maintenance etc.

Forget about newer more powerful cars until you get full ncb..... unless to you fancy paying a fortune on insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Insurance is going to be expensive either way until you can gain a few year's claim free driving on your own policy. On the flip side insurance companies have been upping insurance prices on older cars for a number of years but if you can keep the Golf insured for a reasonable price for another year or two to build up your own claims free driving then I'd do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

daheff wrote: »
    Wait until you need to....or the car is costing you for repairs maintenance etc.

Forget about newer more powerful cars until you get full ncb..... unless to you fancy paying a fortune on insurance

My plan was to wait until I graduate college (3 years) or if I need to before then, I'll see what way my work placement is fixed this time next year..

It's just I've been saving up for a guitar for the past while and my parents are saying to put the money into a new car.. even though I spend €600 on brakes, calipers and lines a few months ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement