Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another driver hit me. I didn't claim but now being offered full repair

Options
  • 02-12-2019 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

So a strange one today.

In October another driver collided with me trying to get into the space in front in traffic.

The damage to my car was not major. A few scrapes on the wing and bumper. Car is a 181. I decided not to claim because I got the paint repaired for €150.

I informed my own insurer but didn't make a claim.
    I didn't make a claim against their insurer either.

Fast forward to today. I got an email from , I'm assuming, the other driver's insurers apologising for the accident and admitting their driver was fully at fault.
    It went on to say they would repair fully at their approved repairers or I could get my own repairers to do it. All at no cost or affect to me.

Note I didn't receive any calls or visits for an investigation from anyone.

Has the other driver told their own insurers?

Ideally I would have got the car repaired by the main dealer but didn't go down that road due to the cost outside of claiming.

Should I now get the main dealer to look at it for a "proper" repair under the new circumstances?

Comments

Nah. Just claim your €150 back off them and be done with it. You should have done that in the first place (and if you wanted a 'proper' look at it then that was also the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

batman1 wrote: »
    Fast forward to today. I got an email from , I'm assuming, the other driver's insurers apologising for the accident and admitting their driver was fully at fault.
    It went on to say they would repair fully at their approved repairers or I could get my own repairers to do it. All at no cost or affect to me.

Did they say that if you want your own guy to do the repairs that they would need to send an assesor to inspect the damage and approve the estimate? I know the car is already repaired to your satisfaction but they don't know that.

The way you've described it, they are giving your repairer a blank cheque i.e. you can take the car to anyone you chose, he can fix your car, send a bill to the other guy's insurance and they will pay it. It doesn't work like that.

Which would make me a bit suspicious. I'd forsee someone contacting you and asking you to pay an 'admin fee' to process the claim i.e. it smells like a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Conspiracy theories abound in this place. The 3rd party has obviously informed their insurers, as they should. Liability has been admitted and they are looking to settle your damages without quibble (the bastards)

Tell them you had it repaired for €150 and they will pay you. If you don't have an invoice for the repair, it is unlikely to be a problem. You had a ding with one of the few good guys out there. Karma

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement