Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop smoke from neighbours stove coming into my house?

Options
  • 18-11-2019 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Is it possible to do anything to stop it? I presume it mainly coming in through my chimney and the air vent. Have a newish house so it’s well insulted otherwise. Have a gas inset stove myself but doesn’t seem to stop the smell of smoke from the neighbours stove coming into the room.

Is my best bet to get something like a dyson air purifier? Or something like a lunos decentralised air ventilation system?

Or should I just offer to purchase a gas stove for my neighbour if they get rid of the wood burner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

There's a serious and potentially life threatening problem with your neighbors chimney, which is affecting your safety. You need to talk to them, obviously the chimney is leaking.
    Its a serious issue.
    Hope it goes well for you.
    T.

Is it possible to do anything to stop it? I presume it mainly coming in through my chimney and the air vent. Have a newish house so it’s well insulted otherwise. Have a gas inset stove myself but doesn’t seem to stop the smell of smoke from the neighbours stove coming into the room.

Is my best bet to get something like a dyson air purifier? Or something like a lunos decentralised air ventilation system?

Or should I just offer to purchase a gas stove for my neighbour if they get rid of the wood burner?

Has anyone checked the installation for safety

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It happened in a house I was renting.
    Poor updraft and chimney pots very close caused smoke from
    My chimney to go straight down theirs.

Literally a guy came and extended our chimney up one pot and it never happened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

I assume your house semi-detached ? Do you know if your neighbour has a flue installed in their chimney? If a two storey, is it worse upstairs or downstairs?
    Does it vary with wind strength/ direction? Can you see any staining on the outside walls?
    These are things you can investigate as you await professional guidance.
    As stated above You really need to get this resolved as you have a potential life threatening situation ...carbon monoxide poisoning. You need an engineer to survey this. As you recently moved in , did you get a surveyor to do pre purchase survey? If so then maybe get them back to investigate?
    I would avoid any purifying device as this will only mask the problem. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

I had a problem like this. As suggested, a two foot steel tube extension on the chimney solved the problem. I wonder if a house is very air-tight air for combustion is drawn down through the chimney, with the possibility of drawing also smoke from a neighbour?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Fair few threads on this sort of thing over the years on Boards

Do a site search using terms like 'neighbour' 'smoke' 'leak' 'stove'

A couple of examples :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108726069

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111574175

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Newuseruntaken

Thanks for all the replies. Yes it’s a semi d. The house isn’t airtight but is b1 rating. We have a carbon monoxide detector in the room. I’m not sure it’s a chimney issue as when I walk outside the smell of smoke is worse out there, I think it’s just a case of it coming in through the vents. I think its just on the days when there is little to no wind. I see the government is considering banning all smokey fuels in urban areas so hopefully something comes of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭whomenonotme

Thanks for all the replies. Yes it’s a semi d. The house isn’t airtight but is b1 rating. We have a carbon monoxide detector in the room. I’m not sure it’s a chimney issue as when I walk outside the smell of smoke is worse out there, I think it’s just a case of it coming in through the vents. I think its just on the days when there is little to no wind. I see the government is considering banning all smokey fuels in urban areas so hopefully something comes of that.

This article may be of use
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/our-neighbours-new-stove-flue-is-blowing-smoke-into-our-bedroom-1.4109507

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

As Brian said, I experienced this. No break in chimney. One house chimney is possibly an air intake

Advertisement