Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Elmo's crossing is chronic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

CSF wrote: »
    The problem is, El Ghazi isn’t good enough either, and at least Elmohamady provides more for his fullback.

My opinion is that wide areas are a much bigger area for improvement than the striker area. El Ghazi is garbage and Trezeguet is still getting used to English football.

Well that I agree with. A quality wide player is needed and Elmo needs to be a cup player only for me. You lose possession as much as he did and you are just inviting pressure on to you. That's why I am calling for composure and someone like Nakamba when playing to be just told that his job is to sit deep shielding the back four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

He’s a way better crosser than el ghazi (not saying much really though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,554 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Well that I agree with. A quality wide player is needed and Elmo needs to be a cup player only for me. You lose possession as much as he did and you are just inviting pressure on to you. That's why I am calling for composure and someone like Nakamba when playing to be just told that his job is to sit deep shielding the back four.

That’s where you want to reach for sure. Still not convinced El Ghazi is good enough offensively or defensively.

Such a pity that they didn't go that extra mile (tbh they splashed way more cash than most expected but still) when they clearly were interested in the type of players we needed at the end of the summer. So heavily linked to Maupay & Benrahma and although neither might be word beaters we would be in such a better situation if we were not relying on the likes of El Gahzi and if Wesley had decent competition / someone who could play with him up top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

That’s where you want to reach for sure. Still not convinced El Ghazi is good enough offensively or defensively.

Positionally El Ghazi gets into goal scoring chances at least.
    He's regularly in the box looking to get on the end of something but if I was a RB, I wouldn't be confident he'll protect me and help me out when I need it.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Positionally El Ghazi gets into goal scoring chances at least.
    He's regularly in the box looking to get on the end of something but if I was a RB, I wouldn't be confident he'll protect me and help me out when I need it.

But he’s so low quality when attacking. At least with Elmohamady, he’s good defensively. He may be sh*te going forward but at least he’s good at the thing that people refer to as his strength. El Ghazi is woeful defensively and below average offensively.

The striker situation Smith let arise is as bad as the defensive situation Steve Bruce let happen at the start of last season.

22 year old Brazilian from the Belgian league.
    30 year old Kodjia who's never played in the PL and never fully recovered from his injury. He couldn't even get a start in the championship and when he did he didn't try and his attitude /lack of work rate stank. Injury prone.
    21 year old Keinan Davis, has 1 goal in about 40 championship games, injury prone.

Put all his eggs in option 1 and it's been a complete failure to date.

But he’s so low quality when attacking. At least with Elmohamady, he’s good defensively. He may be sh*te going forward but at least he’s good at the thing that people refer to as his strength. El Ghazi is woeful defensively and below average offensively.

I won't debate this.
    Neither is the answer.
    I suppose it boils down to either playing more offensively or defensively as to who gets the nod, and we all know the managers style of play, hence why AEG gets the nod.

I'd be ok with having Elmo there when playing top teams, it just means Jack on the left will be absolutely swamped when we attack as teams will know Elmo won't cause damage offensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

The striker situation Smith let arise is as bad as the defensive situation Steve Bruce let happen at the start of last season.

22 year old Brazilian from the Belgian league.
    30 year old Kodjia who's never played in the PL and never fully recovered from his injury. He couldn't even get a start in the championship and when he did he didn't try and his attitude /lack of work rate stank. Injury prone.
    21 year old Keinan Davis, has 1 goal in about 40 championship games, injury prone.

Put all his eggs in option 1 and it's been a complete failure to date.

That's a bit harsh on both. We know SB and DS were both in for more players but they didnt happen. Bruce had no money until the last weeks of the window and Smith had a full squad to rebuild and got someone for almost every position. We know he pulled out of the Maupay deal because he felt it was too much money.

Both could have filled the squad with merc journeyman but I think we have had our fill of that over the last 10 years.

Transfer policy will leave us in a better standing long term no matter what happens.

Weve got 1 point from 9 in 3 games where we probably wouldnt have expected anything and while we nobody likes to lose, we have 5 games where we would all hope to get points now.

• Advertisement

LeBash wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh on both. We know SB and DS were both in for more players but they didnt happen. Bruce had no money until the last weeks of the window and Smith had a full squad to rebuild and got someone for almost every position. We know he pulled out of the Maupay deal because he felt it was too much money.

Both could have filled the squad with merc journeyman but I think we have had our fill of that over the last 10 years.

Transfer policy will leave us in a better standing long term no matter what happens.

Weve got 1 point from 9 in 3 games where we probably wouldnt have expected anything and while we nobody likes to lose, we have 5 games where we would all hope to get points now.

Good intentions and wishful thinking get you no where in sport or in life, executing the plan is what leads to results. The buck stops with the manager end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Easy Rod wrote: »
    He’s a way better crosser than el ghazi (not saying much really though).

And taking that a step further assuming we can improve our corners and crosses we need someone who can get on the end of those crosses.

I think Smith obviously felt more about Wesley than has panned out so far. Kodjia should have been good enough to be a backup striker in the Premier League but he doesn’t have the motivation by the looks of it. His effort marking in a rare opportunity against Liverpool was pathetic and costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Panrich

Considering our last 7 games have been against the top 6 and Newcastle who aside from our game have been flying, we've really got the sorts of results that you'd expect. Our season will be defined by our run over the next 10 games where we need to start getting big wins and points on the board.

I'm hopeful where I was confident a month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Patser

Hopefully money is there in January for a striker, even a merc on loan, who can add some goals. Even with Wesley's woes we're good a scoring, imagine how much better off we'd be in Wesley had had a few more goals in him

Panrich wrote: »
    Considering our last 7 games have been against the top 6 and Newcastle who aside from our game have been flying, we've really got the sorts of results that you'd expect. Our season will be defined by our run over the next 10 games where we need to start getting big wins and points on the board.

I'm hopeful where I was confident a month ago.
    We've played 16 games, the same as everyone else. We're only out of the relegation zone on goal difference. I don't think there is a good way to spin the season so far.

Arsenal, West Ham, Wolves, Leicester, Burnley, Palace. So many lows in terms of performance. Best performance Norwich and probably Newcastle comes in as quite a good one, other than that the wins against Brighton and Everton were in ropey performances that we'd easily could have lost on another day, so I don't think one could even fairly argue that we're unlucky to be where we are in terms of points, even if we conclude that some of the points we dropped could have gained a few more.

Stats from the mail

Wesley 16 games 4 goals
    Savo 16 games 5 goals
    JPA 16 games 5 goals
    Benteke 16 games 5 goals
    Carew 16 games 3 goals.

I suppose the key difference was all of those guys bar Benteke played as a 2 up front.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

As far as I can remember JPA's first season wasn't great and a lot were considering him as being a dud considering he was a record signing. Could be wrong.

Stats from the mail

Wesley 16 games 4 goals
    Savo 16 games 5 goals
    JPA 16 games 5 goals
    Benteke 16 games 5 goals
    Carew 16 games 3 goals.

I suppose the key difference was all of those guys bar Benteke played as a 2 up front.

That doesn’t come as a surprise. People’s reaction to him has been huge overkill.

As far as I can remember JPA's first season wasn't great and a lot were considering him as being a dud considering he was a record signing. Could be wrong.

He had 1 good season where he broke 20 under DOL. Hes remembered fondly but didnt have a great record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭tonytiger81

Stats from the mail

Wesley 16 games 4 goals
    Savo 16 games 5 goals
    JPA 16 games 5 goals
    Benteke 16 games 5 goals
    Carew 16 games 3 goals.

Robbie Keane 6 games 3 goals (was never a fan of JPA)

Mings out until Jan by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Mings out until Jan by the looks of it.

So do we think smith will go with Konza & Engles. Or Hause & Engles.

matrim wrote: »

I’d suspect the first option. I know Hause is closer to what Mings is than the other 2 are, but he truly hasn’t got a lookin at Premier League football.

matrim wrote: »

I think Hause, hes left footed and managers have an obsession with "keeping balance". I dont understand that myself, surely most pros can give a half decent pass or would be decent enough in the tackle with both feet.

How are Sheff United odds on to beat Villa tomorrow

If you put your car on it you'll be able to buy an air freshener

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭JPA

5/6

JPA wrote: »
    5/6

That's about right for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Fine margins at this stage of the season we've won four Wolves in sixth have won five but they've lost two we've lost nine. Today is about stopping the rot so as long as we don't lose hopefully we can get some wins over the next few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Hause and Lansbury in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

https://i.redd.it/3pjf86v9wl441.jpg

Hourihane not on bench so must have picked up a knock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Panrich

Hause and Lansbury in

Big changes there. We’ve seen what Luiz and Hourihane bring so a big chance for Lansbury today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Sheff utd are a dirty side

Showing Sheff Utd too much respect so far. Letting them have too much of the ball and not looking to have much in terms of an attacking outlet so far.

That said almost 25m into the game away against a team who has started the season well and Sheff Utd haven't had any real shots on Heaton and Villa are starting to grow into the game a bit more now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Different performance from Villa so far but it looks like they are in the process of learning lessons from previous games. Disciplined and tight so far. Getting the balance between the two styles will be the key.

Yeah much more solid, but we don’t look an attacking threat at all. 0-0 wouldn’t be a huge shock.

Given our respective positions in the league 0-0 away isn't terrible at half time tbh although that was not a great half to watch.

Sheff Utd are keeping Grealish (who also needs to try to stay on his feet more as this ref isn't going to give him 50/50s) very quiet and without him pulling the strings Villa don't have much of an attack so far with Wesley again looking a frustrated / isolated figure.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Trezeguet come on for Lansbury (if they don't do the like for like swap with Luiz) and then Grealish could go centrally.

Villa's defense however are looking well enough organized and I don't think Heaton has had to make a save all half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

This on tv?

Lansbury has been very solid, as has Hause. Wes continues to frustrate as in a tight match like this, someone with a bit more running off the ball would be a big help. Will probably need Trez off the bench with his energy covering back, wings a little exposed sometimes.

• Advertisement

sc86 wrote: »
    This on tv?

PM Sent ;)

1-0 Sheff Utd. Will need to loosen up now.

Midfield needed to track Fleck better there.

Feck Fleck. Need to up it now

Conceding right after half time been a problem last few games.

Looking like relegation.

Lack of quality in the squad far too evident. When Jack is having an off day, no one else to step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Looking like relegation.

Lack of quality in the squad far too evident. When Jack is having an off day, no one else to step up.

It's not a lack of quality, it's tactics/setup.
    Just look at our opposition today.

Wesley hits side netting, Jack heads just wide. Good response.

Chances starting to come, keep the heads up lads

DP

JPA wrote: »
    It's not a lack of quality, it's tactics/setup.
    Just look at our opposition today.

It's lack of quality.
    How many of that villa team would get in Sheff Uniteds?

Engels, Heaton, Grealish, McGinn

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement