Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Device to automate my existing curtain/rails

Options
  • 30-11-2019 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hi - wondering if anyone has found a good device which can be added to an existing curtain rail to make the curtains "smart?". ie. Could be controlled by a timer, and/or be controller remotely via an App.

Noting that I do want to keep the existing curtain rails, rather than getting one of the rails advertised online.

I've seen some options online for devices which can be added to the existing setup. One or two looked like what I'd need. However, they both seemed to be startup companies. looking for finance.

I see some other threads on this topic - however, they are generally around 3 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Google got me this; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automated-Electric-Intelligently-Motorized-Controlled/dp/B0744Q9XVL?th=1
    One of he reviews has the person getting Alexa to close the curtains via a voice command.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Are your existing rails, motorised, cord operated or hand draw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

the_syco wrote: »
    Google got me this; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automated-Electric-Intelligently-Motorized-Controlled/dp/B0744Q9XVL?th=1
    One of he reviews has the person getting Alexa to close the curtains via a voice command.

540 stg!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

If you have a 3d printer you could try the below.
    I`m currently setting up something like this for some rollerblinds in my house.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3174263

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

This is a Kickstarter, but Switch it are already established... Simple solutions are often the best etc.

https://odditymall.com/switchbot-curtain-robot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

the_syco wrote: »

Thanks - looks like a good device, but I see it involves replacing the entire curtain rail, which I want to avoid, as the existing ones match the room. Rather pricy also!

cram1971 wrote: »
    Are your existing rails, motorised, cord operated or hand draw ?

Hi - the existing rails are wooden poles, with the curtains hand drawn.

I'm looking for this as a security aid - so I could set the curtains to close/open at set times, when I'm away.

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Hi - the existing rails are wooden poles, with the curtains hand drawn.

I'm looking for this as a security aid - so I could set the curtains to close/open at set times, when I'm away.

I don’t know of any proven product that will work with an existing hand draw wooden pole.. I have been working in this area for nearly 30 years, happy to be proven wrong.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    This is a Kickstarter, but Switch it are already established... Simple solutions are often the best etc.

https://odditymall.com/switchbot-curtain-robot

Hi - yes, I'd seen this device on another site earlier. It actually looks ideal for what I'm looking for! But, my understanding from the "kickstarter" site is that it is just being launched. Looks like you can order it now, but won't be delivered until April 2020 at the earliest.

If you think it's available now, do let me know! I'd order immediately. Thanks

Hi - yes, I'd seen this device on another site earlier. It actually looks ideal for what I'm looking for! But, my understanding from the "kickstarter" site is that it is just being launched. Looks like you can order it now, but won't be delivered until April 2020 at the earliest.

If you think it's available now, do let me know! I'd order immediately. Thanks

If your curtains are in anyway heavy there is no way a motor that size will work.

That is demonstrated on unlined 1 width curtains. Its a gimmick

• Advertisement

If your curtains are in anyway heavy there is no way a motor that size will work.

That is demonstrated on unlined 1 width curtains. Its a gimmick

Thanks for your feedback Cram.

You mentioned you work in this area. What products would you recommend as the best option?

Thanks for your feedback Cram.

You mentioned you work in this area. What products would you recommend as the best option?

Have a look at Silent Gliss

It’s not cheap

https://www.silentgliss.co.uk/engb/products/view/curtain-systems/metropole/electric/

You can buy their stuff online and nearly get it as cheap as trade prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Sorry to hijack this thread, but have you any recommendations for smart blinds Cram?
    Leaning towards the Ikea blinds, there are others from the Chinese sites but not sure about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

paulbok wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but have you any recommendations for smart blinds Cram?
    Leaning towards the Ikea blinds, there are others from the Chinese sites but not sure about them.

I'll be going for Ikea Blinds in the new year... if the sizes fit my windows

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I've just had Louvolite installed - they use the Neo Smart Blinds app. I had been searching for over a year for a system that would be able to handle one very large blind, 3 metres wide with a 2 metre drop, and found that this would work, but it needs mains power rather than the usual re-chargable battery. I happened to be having my house rewired at the time, so got the electrician to put in fused spur to the windows I wanted to put blinds on. All works well.

As a sidenote, I had a lot of trouble getting the app going, and could only get the setup completed using my old smartphone (Android 6.0.1) - not a hope with my current phone (Android 9)......but the setup is a once off, and the app works well on any of my devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

vienne86 wrote: »
    I've just had Louvolite installed - they use the Neo Smart Blinds app. I had been searching for over a year for a system that would be able to handle one very large blind, 3 metres wide with a 2 metre drop, and found that this would work, but it needs mains power rather than the usual re-chargable battery. I happened to be having my house rewired at the time, so got the electrician to put in fused spur to the windows I wanted to put blinds on. All works well.

As a sidenote, I had a lot of trouble getting the app going, and could only get the setup completed using my old smartphone (Android 6.0.1) - not a hope with my current phone (Android 9)......but the setup is a once off, and the app works well on any of my devices.

Could you post a link to where you bought them ?

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Which Chinese site? I can find very few

Could you post a link to where you bought them ?

Cheers,

I bought from Star Blinds.

Www.starblinds.ie

Luxaflex do a good system,

https://www.luxaflex.co.uk/powerview-motorisation/

Irish site Luxaflex.ie

Luxaflex do a good system,

https://www.luxaflex.co.uk/powerview-motorisation/

Irish site Luxaflex.ie

These are actually the same as the Louvolite blinds I have - I was told that Louvolite is the manufacturer and Luxaflex is a brand name - anyway, they both use the Neo smart blinds app. Mine are wired in, but a friend has Luxaflex with rechargeable batteries. Yes, the system is excellent.

Meanwhile I have another blind which I want motorized but I'm not fussed about a schedule or off-site control for this blind. I've ordered one of these from Amazon:

BENEXMART DIY Motorized Your Tranditional Roll Shade with Bean or Cord Chain Smart Home Automation Support APP Timer Remote control

It's just bluetooth and is being shipped from China, I think.......not expecting it for 3 weeks. Reviews are okay so we'll see how it goes.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

vienne86 wrote: »
    Looks much the same as I have ordered, but better price.

Louvolite/ Luxaflex supports Google home all right, but not sure about Alexa.

How much you pay if you don’t mind me asking?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    How much you pay if you don’t mind me asking?

I think it's 45.99 sterling. Whatever it is on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I just saw a video for this:

https://www.switch-bot.com/

YMMV.

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Ordered one of these in late January before the crisis; https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33034302382.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.769d4c4d7iOZgL

It arrived yesterday:eek:
    Already had a RM pro, all set up today, and works a treat with Alexa. Routine set up to close 15mins before sunset and open at 8:30 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just bumping this thread to see if any new devices have come on the market lately, something for retrofitting onto a curtain pole that is currently hand drawn. Have seen a kickstarter for one unit but the order time was long.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

zemismart on aliexpress (or amazon) and switchbot on amazon have good reviews and good amount of flexibility in the type of curtains they can automate. you might want to check those out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks brio09, will check those two out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Finally got around to measuring the tube of my IKEA blinds, 25mm

So I’ve ordered one of these , if it’s good I’ll double down and get a a full set up.

€ 43,18 54% Off | Zemismart Tuya WiFi Roller Shade Motor for 17mm 25mm Tube Built-in Battery Smart Life Blind Engine Alexa Google Home Alice Work
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKBDuTF

My 9 year daughter is looking forward to doing a YouTube video of the kit, install and review.
    Will update in 18-26 days. (Delivery is 17-25)

Advertisement