Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The U.K. Brexit Election

• 13-12-2019 7:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭

Watching Sky News there.

Incredible result.

Brexit Party no seats.
    Labour terrible show.

The public getting behind Borris

Did Corbin surround himself with yes men so preventing him from knowing actually how unpopular he really is as an individual.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Has to be a second indy ref in Scotland now you'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

DukeCaboom wrote:
    Has to be a second indy ref in Scotland now you'd imagine.

I'd say the uk is done to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭contrary_devil

Arlene won't be so cocky for a while now that Boris won't be courting her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Arlene won't be so cocky for a while now that Boris won't be courting her.

Plus there’s a chance it will be 9 republican seats to 8 unionists seats. Be interesting to see how she tries to make that into a success story for unionism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

hus3ycfetc441.png

For those who voted Borris back in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭memorystick

100 years on from the War of Independence, this could be the last and final push.

One Green Party MP.
    Not much of a green wave going on over in the U.K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭davidk1394

What are people's thoughts on the impact on agriculture? Will it see a reduction in prices or exports to the UK ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

_Brian wrote: »
    One Green Party MP.
    Not much of a green wave going on over in the U.K.
    When the system is not proportional representation small parties like the Greens likely to get feck all seats, while at same % of vote they will get more seats in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

davidk1394 wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on the impact on agriculture? Will it see a reduction in prices or exports to the UK ?

Sterling is up anyway. That has to be good for Beef prices here.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

Labour - Pushed even harder left

Conservative - Pushed even harder right

Centre had no-one. Common sense had nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

flexcon wrote: »
    Labour - Pushed even harder left

Conservative - Pushed even harder right

Centre had no-one. Common sense had nowhere.

Agree, if labour had pulled in to centre more it wouldn't have been such a calamity for them.

Agree, if labour had pulled in to centre more it wouldn't have been such a calamity for them.

Corbin is toxic, people seem unable to vote for him, his ideals are just too far out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭148multi

davidk1394 wrote: »

Most tories interviewed this morning are talking up a deal, particularly with ireland, even accepting this may cause Borris some difficulty.

Regards the potical situation in the UK, the parties that took a centre position got slaughtered, peoples views hardened.
    Look at what happened in NI since the good Friday aggreament. The UUP and the SDLP lost seats and the more hard line parties gained support. If, and a big if Labour and the Lib-Dems hadn't muppets as leaders it could have been a very different vote. Right now I look favourably on this Uk and government from the feelers being sent out today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Really amazing a leader who lied,dodged leaders debates,made gaff after gaff got elected. Matt Hancock made to look like an idiot over the 20k extra police and they got a landslide?
    Corbyn was unelectable too far left for most.Diane Abbott was brought out to speak on the economy and could not get simple maths right.
    Sammy Wilson on RTE last night WTF world of his own.
    It will not be good for us in the farming community but what can we do, not our rodeo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Well one thing I learned from yesterday is don't believe a word typed on social media.
    If Twitter was to be believed yesterday, Labour would have had a party majority with all these new young voters queuing on the street to vote. Even Boris Johnson had his seat lost and celebrities and all their hangers on had Labour in.

Boris Johnson pulled off a master stroke. He made this election all about Brexit. People that had never voted for the Conservatives did so this time, simply to push ahead with Brexit.
    Nationilists now have a majority in the North. Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Looks to me that there was a whole load of voters looking for a new home because of the Brexit situation.

But while Boris managed to convince leavers to back him this time, Corbyn's big jump to the left nationizing everything scared off remainers from voting for him.

Big pressure on Boris now imo to back up his promises. For the last decade it's been convenient for them not to have had a majority. They had someone else to blame for their failures. For the next 5 years, all negative stories will land squarely at the door of no.10. People in poor areas of the north who are disgusted with their standard of living put their faith in Boris to improve their lot with the completion of Brexit. If they don't see a material change in their standard of living over the next 5 years, then the next election could be big losses for the Tories. I suppose he'll still be able to blame the EU though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Labour were never going to do anything besides lose the election. Corbyn is unelectable regardless of his policies. Had labour a decent leader they'd have wiped the Torys last time nevermind this election. Corbyn, and his enablers, were the biggest gift Boris ever got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

It's the same reason why trump got elected in the USA also, his opposition in Hillary nobody wanted. The sooner Labour get rid of Corban and find someone more central the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Almost three million more people voted for Clinton than Trump.

God, this result is a right kick in the teeth for the left ideologists. Jeremy Corbyn's manifesto reads like something from Karl Marx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I could never see anything but a Conservative victory. It was assured when Farage's Brexit candidates withdrew from the race and gave Borris a clear run at it. Most forget that Corbyn is a Brexiteer as well but was unable to clarify any policy position and neither remainers or brexiteers could or would trust him. His refusal to consider tactical candidate withdrawal with Libs and other parties ended any hope of a remain victory. As well he refused in the last parliment to consider letting another MP be PM until a deal could be done.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Ya got hand it to boris.the whole brexit thing was set in motion to get him where he is today.people who dismiss the likes of boris and trump haven't a clue about modern politics. Dont waste your time trying convince people to vote for you ,just make sure the people that will vote for you do.similar tactics in irish politics and lately we see the tactics being used in agri politics

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Judging by Callan's kicks last night we'll probably have our own election next Spring. The exit polls are so accurate maybe that's the way to have an election:rolleyes:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A bit about what the next year will bring in GB as regards Ag policy and negotiations for Brexit.
    http://capreform.eu/implications-of-the-uk-election-result-for-eu-uk-agricultural-trade/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

one of the lib dems manifesto 'ideas' was a 'frequent flying tax' seems to have gone down like a lead balloon, and reinforces my doubt that 'the consumer' wants to take any responsibility for reversing climate change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    one of the lib dems manifesto 'ideas' was a 'frequent flying tax' seems to have gone down like a lead balloon, and reinforces my doubt that 'the consumer' wants to take any responsibility for reversing climate change.

There's been a huge change in the reporting of Agriculture in the climate change debates in the last 6 months. I'll throw up a link to a Washington Post article on the ability of Agriculture to be a huge factor in mitigating emissions from other sectors.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2015/12/04/fe22879e-990b-11e5-8917-653b65c809eb_story.html
    That wouldn't have made a regional paper last year but is printed in a national broadsheet. They'll be paying us to build soils in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lano Lynn wrote: »

Yes, one of the main reasons I don't take climate change serious...... no point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

There's been a huge change in the reporting of Agriculture in the climate change debates in the last 6 months. I'll throw up a link to a Washington Post article on the ability of Agriculture to be a huge factor in mitigating emissions from other sectors.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2015/12/04/fe22879e-990b-11e5-8917-653b65c809eb_story.html
    That wouldn't have made a regional paper last year but is printed in a national broadsheet. They'll be paying us to build soils in the near future.

they should be paying us now for food and they don't we will be regulated out of existence and the natural rewilding will take care of the rest.so why bother paying for it?

Aren’t OZ already paying farmers for it.

The drive against ag on climate was driven by paid for vegan “science” to add an arrrow to their attack on farming.

But the truth that we already know will surely become known. That non industrial farming is a positive both on animals, biodiversity and climate.

Advertisement