Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof Concrete.

Options
  • 12-12-2019 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, I'm planning on building a water feature in the garden which will require a water storage sump of around 2000 litres. Plastic tanks of suitable size run into thousands so I'd like to cast a re enforced Concrete tank just below ground. It would be great to mix something with the Concrete so that the finished tank would be watertight, but I'm equally happy to do a normal mix casting and then render it internally with two coats of waterproof rendering. The question is, what waterproofing method to use and where can I get it? Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

My concern would be poor compaction and cracking, not to mind the work :)
    2m by 1m by 1m internal :)
    How will you cover it to make it safe?
    Best think of tanking it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Meningate

Thanks Calahonda52. I plan to hire a vibrating Concrete compactor during construction and it will be re enforced with 6mm re bar mesh, as will the Concrete lid. Happy to tank it, but what with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Could you tank it with a pond liner, or if you have access for a truck or digger put in a concrete base, and put a large concrete pipe on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭bunderoon

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Put a couple of layers of fibreglass directly on to the concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

Casting a concrete tank would be the most expensive option by far and very labour intensive. Also safety becomes a concern as the hole needs to be much bigger and the sides sloping back to avoid the danger of it collapsing when you are in the hole putting together the form work. A plastic tank suitable for under ground use should be available for around € 1400 delivered to your site the benefit of plastic would be that it is light to lift into the hole.
    The next option would be precast concrete delivered to site with a crane truck and lifted into the hole should be doable for around €1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Could you build a block on flat enclosure and drop 2 1000 liter ibc tanks into it, they're on done deal for 70 or 80 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Why not couple two IBC's together and fill around them with lean mix ? water proof for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

You can buy a 4000L precast septic tank for €800 why bother building it yourself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Why not couple two IBC's together and fill around them with lean mix ? water proof for life.

Wouldnt even need to encase. Just keep them out of the light..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pond liner pond liner pond liner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

if you google "concrete koi pond sealer" you will get names of sealers for concrete ponds i have used a ibc container underground to collect rain water , sat it on concrete base and used a week mix of concrete between it and clay walls and topped it off with some concrete lintels if you are doing it this way make sure you fill the ibc with water before you pour the concrete walls to stop the ibc from distorting inwards .if you need to connect the two ibc together you will find lots of fittings on line catering to the koi pond community

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Meningate

Thanks you everyone, a very wide range of ideas there to look into, many of them new ones to me. I'm sure my problem will soon be solved !

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

BryanF wrote: »
    Wouldnt even need to encase. Just keep them out of the light..

He wants it below ground,depend on what vehicular traffic is in the vicinity.

Advertisement