Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small furry companions, which is best?

• 06-12-2019 3:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi lovely people :)
    Have just moved home to ireland, and had to give up my gorgeous ragdoll cat, as I'm back at home for the minute, my parents don't like cats, and sister is pregnant, and the last thing I wanted was him missing in the dublin version of the Bronx ;)
    just wondering please, any ideas for a small pet, that won't impose too much on the rest of the family but that would be nice to have/look after? A budgy perhaps? I would like something that's interactive as I can't see, and really like the idea of a budgy or similar, because I've seen/listened to, some videos on youtube where people have taught them to talk, cutest thing ever
    I know they poop a lot, and while I would have no problem cleaning the cage, I'm just wondering, do they need much time out, and presumably the pooping doesn't stop when they're out? This would not be well received at home, understandably I'm open to other suggestions, just, no fish :cool:
    TIA for any responses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

How about having some respect for your family and waiting till you get your own place?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

How about having some respect for your family and waiting till you get your own place?

wow! How about if you don't have anything constructive or helpful to say, then don't post at all? No need to be quite so rood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

OP, from your other posts I recall that you also had to give up your guide dog. Please don't add another animal to the list of "surrenders". Your other posts detailed your lack of housing security (living with grandparents then moving to your parents' where you don't have your own room, your sister will live there with her newborn, etc.). Please don't bring an animal into that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

SmartinMartin,
    There's no issue at all with you making the point you're making, but your delivery is needlessly antagonistic and goes against the requirement that people using this forum are respectful towards one another, even if they disagree with one another's viewpoints.
    Just dial it back a bit please.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Op you’re in no position to own an animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I have 2 Parrots & one is smaller then a budgie. However if you are to look after them properly they are more work then a cat & need as much interaction as a dog. They are also noisy. Budgies tend to chatter non stop all day long. They are also very messy. Both of ours talk but they would be better talkers then Budgies. Female Budgies don't tend to talk & even if you get a male there is no guarantee that they would talk. Budgies also do better in pairs.

Have you spoken to the other family members about you having a pet? If they are ok about this maybe consider a pair of Guinea Pigs or a hamster. Guinea Pigs are very sociable & friendly once tame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

How about a gerbil? I had one for years in a bedsit. They get very tame and snuggly.

Knine wrote: »
    I have 2 Parrots & one is smaller then a budgie. However if you are to look after them properly they are more work then a cat & need as much interaction as a dog. They are also noisy. Budgies tend to chatter non stop all day long. They are also very messy. Both of ours talk but they would be better talkers then Budgies. Female Budgies don't tend to talk & even if you get a male there is no guarantee that they would talk. Budgies also do better in pairs.

Have you spoken to the other family members about you having a pet? If they are ok about this maybe consider a pair of Guinea Pigs or a hamster. Guinea Pigs are very sociable & friendly once tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Graces7 wrote: »
    How about a gerbil? I had one for years in a bedsit. They get very tame and snuggly.

awe that's lovely
    I'm hoping maybe to find a houseshare, so will just wait and see what happens
    If I was in a place I was sharing, then I'd probably not get a pet, as landlords can be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

afterglow wrote: »
    awe that's lovely
    I'm hoping maybe to find a houseshare, so will just wait and see what happens
    If I was in a place I was sharing, then I'd probably not get a pet, as landlords can be difficult.

I had a gerbil for years, in rentals in the UK. Had a decent sized cage, complete with exercise wheel. He was loose when I was in, then caged if I was out, They tame easily and will sit on your shoulder, Very tactile.

I have been renting many years in Ireland, with cats and dogs and always found landlords who accept that. NB always rural areas,

Pets are such a comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I would hold off. The last thing that's needed is another unwanted pet looking for a home, when there are already so many. Also, if you get a cat, would it be indoors? Just you mentioned that your sister is pregnant, and caution needs to be exercised around cat faeces as it presents a risk of toxoplasmosis which can be dangerous if a pregnant woman contracts it.

• Advertisement

In Dublin you can forget renting with a pet. In 13 years of renting in Dublin every lease has stated no pets. If you were to live alone you could maybe risk it but sharing is a definite no no as the next tenant to move in could be allergic or have a phobia. They'll then kick up stink about the pet and you'll be forced to either move or give up the pet. In the current housing shortage moving may not be easy.

Advertisement