Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splicing/joining ultra small guage wire

Options
  • 12-12-2019 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Given the season that's in it we are currently putting up our Christmas decorations. In the process of putting our crib away last year and taking it out again this year we managed to damage a wire on some decorative lights we have around the crib.

The wire is ultra small gauge and is measuring only 0.42mm diameter including whatever covering is on it. The lights are tiny LEDs linked in series and seem to be soldered to the wire (i.e. not removable like more traditional lights). They are powered by three AA batteries.

Just wanted to see if it was possible or even feasible to repair these lights and how I would even begin to go about it??? I assume given the small gauge a connector is out of the question but I assume it should still be possible to solder them?? If I can solder them how do I strip back to cover on such a small gauge wire?

The lights have sentimental value so it would be nice not to have to chuck them. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could solder the connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

2011 wrote: »
    You could solder the connections.

That’s what I was thinking. What would the best way be to strip it back before I solder it do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

The little gel filled telephone line joiners would work, if you can find somewhere that stocks them! An electrical shop that supplies electricians would have them, or amazon if you can wait:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H8R5KRG/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Kencollins wrote: »
    The little gel filled telephone line joiners would work

I'd imagine most electrical suppliers would have them.
    I got some in National Electrical Wholesalers, Marino/Malahide Road, during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Kencollins wrote: »
    The little gel filled telephone line joiners would work, if you can find somewhere that stocks them! An electrical shop that supplies electricians would have them, or amazon if you can wait:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H8R5KRG/

I’ve seen those but never used them. Do I need to pare back the cable or is it just a case of inserting them as is and tightening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You push the cables in and then push down on the orange part which clamps the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

coL wrote: »
    I’ve seen those but never used them. Do I need to pare back the cable or is it just a case of inserting them as is and tightening?

Just insert the cable and squeeze the orange button with a set of pliers (or a hammer ;) )

Advertisement