Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Murphy & Gunn BMW business at Milltown will cease trading

• 02-09-2018 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭

Shocked to hear this
    End of an era

"MOTOR INDUSTRY CHANGES LEAD TO OUR MILLTOWN GARAGE CLOSURE
    Murphy and Gunn Hyundai business in Rathgar unaffected

It is with a great sense of sadness that the Directors of Murphy & Gunn Group have today (Friday, 31 August 2018) announced the intention to wind down the Murphy & Gunn BMW business at Milltown which will cease trading from 1st of October next. The Murphy & Gunn business in Rathgar is unaffected by this decision and continues to trade normally.

The decision follows an extensive review by the company into the future viability of the Milltown business after the announcement by BMW, for whom Murphy & Gunn was a franchised dealer since 1968, to change its distribution arrangements in Ireland from 1 October next.

While the business had initially hoped and planned to take a very different route after October 1, the negative impacts from the adverse publicity around that decision changed the basis of assessment.

An analysis of options highlighted several significant uncertainties and challenges in the marketplace, many beyond our control. We have thus been forced to accept that the Milltown operation will not be viable without the franchise, and that, as directors, we have no option but to wind up on a voluntary basis before losses are incurred.

Murphy & Gunn will continue to trade at Milltown until the BMW franchise contract agreement has ended. The subsequent closure will impact 37 staff across sales, service, parts and administration. There has begun a period of consultation with staff and their representatives to conclude redundancy terms.

Despite the wider challenges in the longer term, trading in the last few weeks has been buoyant, although there is an unplanned and unwanted end in sight, we have plenty of cars to sell at Milltown. We plan to see out our last month with one of the car industry’s greatest brands with the same energy and focus we have always shown our customers.

We would like to thank our staff and our customers for their loyal support through the years."

Source
    http://www.murphygunnbmw.ie/web/Notice/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Sad to see it end up like that for the sake of the staff if nothing else. It's been rumoured to be on shakey ground for a few years though hasn't it, it's disappointing but not a surprise as such.

We're they hoping to stay on as a service centre or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

Ive no idea
    but at a guess id say they refused to build a big expensive showroom etc. , the site was small and probably easier to cash out now rather than invest in a new site or go below ground which id say would be the only viable option there,either way id say redeveloping or selling the site would be a easier and more financial sensible option for the directors , A shame as they were 50 years in operation,haven't bought of them in a few years but they used to run a great service and there were some great staff there , Hopefully they all end up o.k. bye the end of it ,but must be devastating for them all them same , its a big change to the landscape of south Dublin BMW anyway just like when Maxwell Motors went

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Do the owners own the property? If so, I'd assume they are cashing in on its value as the market is pretty much topped out. If it goes for residential it'll bring in a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What happened, did BMW take their franchise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I wonder if they will sell off the existing stock at good rates, to clear house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

IrishZeus wrote: »
    I wonder if they will sell off the existing stock at good rates, to clear house?

Might attract a raft of tyre kickers making ridiculous offers. They may negotiate to offload the used stock in one or two tranches to Joe Duffy and/or Frank Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ELM327 wrote: »

BMW are restructuring their Irish dealer network like Audi did a few years back. M&G were one of the unlucky ones to lose the franchise, my guess is that the property value of the site is more lucrative than just running a service centre. Could be another one or two more around the country too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

ELM327 wrote: »

Most manufacturers are reducing the number of dealerships. They are also insisting on high standards of premises and staff training as well as restrictions on selling on trade-ins. Many dealers are finding the requirements too onerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Most manufacturers are reducing the number of dealerships. They are also insisting on high standards of premises and staff training as well as restrictions on selling on trade-ins. Many dealers are finding the requirements too onerous.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    BMW are restructuring their Irish dealer network like Audi did a few years back. M&G were one of the unlucky ones to lose the franchise, my guess is that the property value of the site is more lucrative than just running a service centre. Could be another one or two more around the country too.
    Pity, I recently bought a car from their Hyundai dealership and they all seemed nice enthusiastic people.
    Unlucky. I'd say you're right, that land in D6 is I'm sure more valuable as a commodity than as a service centre

It's just the BMW franchise M&G are losing, none of the others.

I was interested in a 430d GC they had for sale last year and they wanted silly money to trade up from what I had. No attempt at showing any flexibility on the price at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What was the change of direction they hoped to take after October that drew the negative publicity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

What was the change of direction they hoped to take after October that drew the negative publicity?

They were going to continue as an authorised service centre, and sell used BMW's. Seems that quite a few people read the initial stories saying they were closing down, and took their servicing work elsewhere.

They would have had to invest millions in upgrading the premises to keep the BMW franchise, so opted against it. Can't really blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

kdevitt wrote: »
    They would have had to invest millions in upgrading the premises to keep the BMW franchise, so opted against it. Can't really blame them.

+1 MSL (Grange Motors) in Deansgrange built a brand new Audi showroom, in it's day the only standalone (i.e. not shared with VW) Audi showroom in the country and they still lost the franchise. It's now a Hyundai showroom, operated by Mooney.

So you can't blame M&G for not taking the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

did Audi take all sales back under here own control ?
    Audi Dublin did I think
    surely we are getting closer to when manufacturers will handle sales direct to customers for new cars and not have to deal with third parties for a lot of manufactures over the next decade I would guess that will be the model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mr c wrote: »
    surely we are getting closer to when manufacturers will handle sales direct to customers for new cars and not have to deal with third parties for a lot of manufactures over the next decade I would guess that will be the model

The Tesla way. Going into a car showroom and chatting to people who actually know a lot about the cars they are selling is a revelation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Really sad to see this happen. It’s where I bought my BMW and it’s where I take it for service etc. always super nice and super helpful staff. Hopefully they will all land on their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Will probably sell for millions for apartments...

unkel wrote: »
    The Tesla way. Going into a car showroom and chatting to people who actually know a lot about the cars they are selling is a revelation.

Now if only Tesla could focus on doing the same when their customers have a problem. Selling is the easy bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

did Audi take all sales back under here own control ?
    Audi Dublin did I think

Audi Dublin is Lookers/Charles Hurst.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Audi Dublin is Lookers/Charles Hurst.

There's audi centre and audi North Dublin. North Dublin is Joe Duffy.

Audi centre is the Charles Hurst one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Now if only Tesla could focus on doing the same when their customers have a problem.

But they do. And unlike other manufactures they replace faulty parts not with the same part but with improved parts where possible

Problem is that the Teslas S and X are low volume essentially hand built cars and their build quality is nowhere near on the same level as say a BMW or Mercedes of the same value

Back on topic: sad to see them go after 50 years in business and after having survived the terrible recession. I had my E34 V8 5-series serviced there once when I just got it and they were sound and knowledgeable about the car (which was quite rare at the time, particularly as it was an original Irish car bought new by the Finnish ambassador to Ireland. Most Irish E34 were 518i and 520i)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

BMW demand that the showrooms are of a particular standard. This may make the milltown site unviable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,462 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It's just the BMW franchise M&G are losing, none of the others.

I was interested in a 430d GC they had for sale last year and they wanted silly money to trade up from what I had. No attempt at showing any flexibility on the price at all.

good riddance to them too.
    I remember looking at a 530D touring and they were offering me only trade price for my 525D..5k less than what Conlan's were offering me.
    Tried to push me into a pcp deal for a new one.
    Had considered it before I went there but didn't like their attitude one little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

was it not manufacturer demands on sleek modern stand alone showrooms and service areas that put alot of the main dealers out of business when the crash came along? Falling sales & the big money they'd ploughed into new buildings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Does anyone have any thoughts on buying a used BMW from Murphy and Gunn now?

Looks like they're selling the car I'm after at a few K discount to other BMW dealers.

I assume that BMW would still honour the warranty.
    Are they still able to issue finance etc, does anyone know?

Would appreciate any advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭MarkN

Their prices do seem a bit keener alright in the last few weeks, finance is something you’d have to enquire about, if they’re still operating under BMW then I’d imagine it’s not an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Does anyone have any thoughts on buying a used BMW from Murphy and Gunn now?

Looks like they're selling the car I'm after at a few K discount to other BMW dealers.

I assume that BMW would still honour the warranty.
    Are they still able to issue finance etc, does anyone know?

Would appreciate any advice.

The only used warranties M&G give with their cars is the BMW AUC one, which is from BMW Europe.

The only used warranties M&G give with their cars is the BMW AUC one, which is from BMW Europe.

That's all they will all give though isn't it? Or am I missing something?
    Thanks.

Thanks.

24 month warranty which can be extended, what else are you potentially thinking about?

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    24 month warranty which can be extended, what else are you potentially thinking about?

Sorry, is the AUC warranty above not the same as the 24 month warranty?
    Apologies if I've confused things here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Thanks.

What more do you want, it's a 2 year end to end warranty...

Sorry, is the AUC warranty above not the same as the 24 month warranty?
    Apologies if I've confused things here.

It is, different terminology but same product. Only really the dealers call it an AUC, to the consumer it’s a “24 month BMW warranty”.

What more do you want, it's a 2 year end to end warranty...

Think you've missed my point.

MarkN wrote: »
    It is, different terminology but same product. Only really the dealers call it an AUC, to the consumer it’s a “24 month BMW warranty”.

Thanks, good to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Jizique

Shocked to hear this
    End of an era

It is with a great sense of sadness that the Directors of Murphy & Gunn Group have today (Friday, 31 August 2018) announced the intention to wind down the Murphy & Gunn BMW business at Milltown which will cease trading from 1st of October next. The Murphy & Gunn business in Rathgar is unaffected by this decision and continues to trade normally.”

Does anyone know if anything is happening to Rathgar? There are no second hand cars outside and most of the Hyundai stock in the showroom has been removed.
    There are also no brochures visible when I was passing today so it looks like it is closing.
    Valuable site, plenty of room out the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

Closing at Christmas I heard... very valuable piece of land I would have thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Murphy and Gunn had a turnover of 60 million in 2016 but only squeezed a profit of 1.1 million and this was wiped out by accumulated losses of 3.7 million from previous years. I fear the Hyundai off the shelf "budget" brand won't help profits hugely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    Murphy and Gunn had a turnover of 60 million in 2016 but only squeezed a profit of 1.1 million and this was wiped out by accumulated losses of 3.7 million from previous years. I fear the Hyundai off the shelf "budget" brand won't help profits hugely.

Sounds like Hyundai are going as well though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭KevRossi

There was a solitary maroon E24 in there the past few months, not sure if it's still there.

road_high wrote: »

What will they be selling then?

• Advertisement

Nothing. Whole lot closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Probably fancy apartments for huge money!

Am I missing something or is there wires crossed all over the place here?

road_high wrote: »

Jizique is quoting the article from a year ago , about the milltown garage, which closed months ago.It specifically says Rathgar is unaffected .

Is there another article missing since about Rathgar?

Jizique wrote: »

quote="mr c;107976406"
    Shocked to hear this
    End of an era

It is with a great sense of sadness that the Directors of Murphy & Gunn Group have today (Friday, 31 August 2018) announced the intention to wind down the Murphy & Gunn BMW business at Milltown which will cease trading from 1st of October next. The Murphy & Gunn business in Rathgar is unaffected by this decision and continues to trade normally.”

Does anyone know if anything is happening to Rathgar? There are no second hand cars outside and most of the Hyundai stock in the showroom has been removed.
    There are also no brochures visible when I was passing today so it looks like it is closing.
    Valuable site, plenty of room out the back.

Am I missing something or is there wires crossed all over the place here?

Jizique is quoting the article from a year ago , about the milltown garage, which closed months ago.It specifically says Rathgar is unaffected .

Is there another article missing since about Rathgar?

Nope. Read the last paragraph of Jizique post. No cars in Rathgar.

Murphy & Gunn no longer listed as Hyundai dealers.

The M&G website for Hyundai is still live selling a small number of cars.

Solo check still has M&G as normal operating business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Murphy & Gunn no longer listed as Hyundai dealers.

The M&G website for Hyundai is still live selling a small number of cars.

Solo check still has M&G as normal operating business

Yes, but what about the apparent lack of activity at its Rathgar premises?

The Rathgar premises is the registered office for M&G holdings that manage(d) BMW, other franchise and M&G leasing. The leasing division may have to survive until all leases are up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Jizique

Strange - dropped by this morning and all locked up.
    At least there was a statement when Milltown was closing - this seems to have happened with no notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Had the car in Rathgar for some repairs a few weeks back and they did some of the job and said the rest would take too much time which they didn't have as they were winding down and didn't have the staff left I was told.
    I'd wager a property play is in the offing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

jay0109 wrote: »
    Had the car in Rathgar for some repairs a few weeks back and they did some of the job and said the rest would take too much time which they didn't have as they were winding down and didn't have the staff left I was told.
    I'd wager a property play is in the offing

No doubt, that site is worth a solid fortune.

• Advertisement
Advertisement