Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overwatch (the second thread)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It'll only be for the PvE content is my guess. Same as the way Tracer put her bomb on Mei's back pack. It all seemed to be showing the group working together and we know that's not how the PvP game works.

BUT WHAT IF!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

fixXxer wrote: »
    BUT WHAT IF!!!

The combo abilities would never be used in PvP because your Brig will be to busy charging into the enemy team trying to 1v6 them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

No interest in OW pve, it's a load of shyte at best of times so good news I guess that I don't have to buy anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

A big win for those happy enough to stick with ow1 I would say, a wave of new maps and characters without spending a penny more

I'll prob buy it out of my sheer love for the game but I I'm not pushed on pve on any game inc overwatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah, not gonna lie.
    This looks like what I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

went back to this game after a long absence, did my placements. Went from 2688 to 2402 in placements despite winning 2/5 and getting blue dps card in 4/5 of the matches, seriously wtf. didn't think it was possible for that to even happen, usually sr is within 100 or so range?? Can anyone explain how I could lose almost 300 sr in that scenario

Homelander wrote: »
    went back to this game after a long absence, did my placements. Went from 2688 to 2402 in placements despite winning 2/5 and getting blue dps card in 4/5 of the matches, seriously wtf. didn't think it was possible for that to even happen, usually sr is within 100 or so range?? Can anyone explain how I could lose almost 300 sr in that scenario

Someone else can correct me but there was some jiggery pokery with SR when role queue came out. You'd GMs being placed in all sorts of strange ranks. I don't play comp since role lock. Just arcade QP these days.

Yeah someone just told me that in placement you can lose 50-75sr per loss, normal competitive is 20-30, but it seems a bit OTT to me. It's kinda killed my interest in the game again tbh. The losses I had weren't bad ones they were close games and I enjoyed them, but to be slammed down so much sr has just made me lose interest. i'm not quite sure at this point how the game calculates sr because for dps I won 3/5 and gained sr (4/5 gold damage medals but only 2 blue card i think), compared to winning 2/5 for support and loosing hundreds (4/5 blue card heals). I'm sure there is some sort of logic but can't really understand it.

I play lots of competitive games like apex, siege, cod, etc, and overwatch is the only game that I get this frustrated by, theres such an element of complete unique randomness to it that doesn't exist in other games

New update

So now when you're in lobby waiting for game you can choose to go practice range, skirmish, deathmatch or game browser

Nice touch

Shield meta is mostly gone praise jebus. Sigma can go suck one.

Been one tricking RH in comp for the lulz and the only good thing about role lock, the ONLY thing. You never have to play the same team again so you don't have tilty f*ckers from the last match either on your team throwing or on the other side being toxic.

• Advertisement

Really enjoying the new set up. Chokes now feel less like banging your head against a wall and more like a knife fight where one slip gets you a punctured kidney. The new Rein is great feeling on attack and Orisa seems to balance out with what a defensive main tank can be, putting herself in harms way to protect the team. Now if only there was a way to sort out the DPS Moira and Baptiste that seem to be everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anybody still playing Overwacth. Ony really started to give it a proper go and just love the look and style of Overwatch. Only lvl 20 at the moment and dont know if if good, bad or mediocre. Playing Pharah for damage, Zenyatte when healer and have not really touched tanking. Is there any end game/goal with Overwatch or is it just to keep leveling up?? Playin on PC

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Endgame would be competitive i suppose but its salty and toxic as fcuk.
    It id rather excellent when you play with a regular team.

Still playing :) on PS4, probably the last of my group that still gets any enjoyment out of it. Funny time to get into it, last time I played through a smurf account the first 25 levels were a wierd wasteland of other smurfs and forever bronze. The end goal? Find characters you like, and git gud. Oh and use LFG, its best played with a team communicating. Enjoy!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Still a massive amount playing on PC.

I have gone back to it again lately actually on PC. When you get used to playing Comp it feels more like "real" Overwatch but Quick Play is just so relaxing in comparison I find myself playing that all the time.

Kinda wish I was more motivated to play more comp as I play so little it's hard to gauge what my "real" rank would eventually be. I'm hardstuck with DPS at high gold/low plat now but that suits me fine as that's kinda as good as I can be and I'm OK with that.

Support is my main role and I am 2600SR but I feel there's definitely room to climb there as I'm not outclassed at that level and even the losses are usually close run things..... I just don't ever feel like playing on my own and rarely get to play with friends.

Haven't bothered doing my tank placements as I never play tank even in QP and the last season I did, the SR gap between my tank and support was nearly 1,000SR. :eek:

I play Support always all the time but lately been enjoying playing Soldier 76 and Ashe, I would say 80% of the time I have the end-game card for damage done as well. I'm more of a spam-damage player though rather than picker as my aim and tracking aren't the best. But works well enough at high gold/low plat level.

I played for a while on PS4 because some friends were, but it's mad how different it feels to the PC version, I didn't really enjoy it.

Still play it every day 3 years since I bought it, at this stage I consider it a hobby in itself, gaming is for other games!

I play mostly comp with zero thought about my sr. If I have the baby with me I play arcade.

Cause of role queue I rarely get to play dps anymore, pretty much tank/heal 99% of the time. I also have my xbox set to private so I dont talk or receive messages etc. Too old to be listening to little ****s give me grief.

I still play the odd 2-3 games but as said, the wait to play DPS is atrocious still.

So a few quick games as Zarya/D.Va and I'm done for the night.

If anyone here is interested in playing with other people, send me a PM (PC). I play Overwatch a lot, and it's just such a team game. I don't mean that in the sense of having to win - more just playing with others is a lot of fun, win or lose.

I mostly play QP, though I'll happily play comp as well. Don't care much about SR anymore, it's just good to play with others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone tempted back into OW2 now thats its released??? Worth a spin if its free to play I suppose.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think there was a massive DDoS attack on it yesterday so not sure if many got to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Didn't get playing last night as couldn't get in, but I played the second beta, then went back to OW1 again for a few weeks, having not played in about 3 years previous.

At its core it's still such a fantastic game to play. The gameplay is tight and fluid, great selection and variety of heroes and abilities, and the back and forth between teams can be exciting.

That said, I worry about what they're doing with OW2. Going forward, new heroes will be locked deep into the battle pass system, which goes against the whole ethos of being able to switch to a different character whose abilities would help counter another etc. So how are they addressing that? Firstly, you can't play competitive until you've unlocked the new hero (they've said Competitive won't start until 2 weeks into the start of each season to gove people time to unlock the hero, but it'll still be a lot of work/grinding). Secondly, they've said they want to do away with having to pick heroes who are great at countering other heroes by trying to balance out all heroes, which makes it sound like all the heroes will become more generic and interchangeable. Plus moving to a 5v5 with only one tank means each tank now has to be more interchangeable too or are very circumstantial.

Locking heroes in the battle pass is a really sh*tty move because they're not like using different guns; their differing abilities are integral to the balance of each map in terms of how well their abilities and ults can work together etc.

So in a way, I worry about how it's going to go. But on the other hand, I only ever play Mystery Heroes, and they've said new characters will be available in those kinds of modes even without unlocking them, so none of the above will really impact me for the most part. I'll certainly be playing for the first few weeks anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Enjoying it but will definitely not put as much time into it as I did the first game.

I love ove the refresh of the UI and HUD. Everything is crisper and easier to see. Gameplay-wise, I think they are missing something with the loss of the defensive tanks. I mained Orisa for years and not sure I like her style now. I feel there is some strategy lost with the change to 5v5. I miss that second tank slot.

Also, while loot boxes are not for everyone, I had no issue with the ones on OW as it's all cosmetic. The new progression system - battle pass - is totally meh. There are probably three things I like on the whole pass - levelling up after a few hours to get a quote for a character you'll never use is pretty awful.

Was reading last night (as I still can't get into the game) that to buy a legendary skin for a character (eg. not from the battle pass but just using the in-game currency) costs about 1900coins. You can only earn the currency by completing weekly challenges, and if you grind and complete all the challenges each week, that's 60 coins per week.

So buying one legendary skin will take 7-8 months.

I had no real complaint about the loot boxes in OW1 either. You got them fairly consistently, and even though there was a lot of nonsense items in them, you'd still get skins, voicelines etc pretty regularly. And even then you'd also either get coins as an item, or a few if you got a duplication of an item you already had, so you'd still end up with coins to buy the actual item you want every few weeks too.

I get that the game is F2P now, but they're really getting the balance wrong. If I felt the currency/reward system was fair, I'd be inclined to buy the occasional battle pass and grind some others. Now I'm not inclined to try get any items and will probably be far more of an occasional player.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I seem to have unlocked the new character after only playing one game even though I dont have the battle pass.

Pain in the arse having to unlock all the old characters too though....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do you not get all the old characters straight away cause you bought OW1?

I didn't have them yesterday evening but I seem to now alright. Must have been a glitch.

Which new character? There are two new characters which are being given for free at launch (Junker Queen and Sojourn) and were part of the Beta. The other new hero Kikiro is the one in the Battle Pass.

I think there's still an issue where it's not recognising some accounts that owned OW1 and is treating them as new players.

Kikiro, she was only announced recently so have her in my head as newer than the other two!

• Advertisement

That's strange. Wasn't aware she was being made available, thought she was battle pass only.

Yeah that's why I was surprised when I was able to pick her on my second match. I've only done one battle pass level yet too and I'm pretty sure she is like tier 55 or something (on the free tiers at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

I unlocked all but 2 hero's yesterday... Annnnnd now today they are all locked again 🤬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's a disastrous launch.

Finally got playing after a 20min wait in queue. Played a few rounds of Mystery Heroes. Taking a bit of time to get used to changes to existing heroes, but other than that the game felt good. Can't see me rushing back until they fix the queuing though.

The pitiful amount of battle pass xp you get, considering how deep the new hero is in the battle pass, is shocking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I jumped on for a few games this evening and enjoyed what I played. Couldn't give a shite about the battle pass or cosmetics or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I placed in silver 4.

I used to be high platinum/low diamond. How the mighty have fallen.

I like that's its only 5v5. Seems easier to break teams down at choke points.

Lots of people seem to be getting low placements relative to their rank in the first game from what I've seen.

• Advertisement

I don't mind the 5v5 either, but in modes like Mystery Heroes or Open Role etc where you can have more than one tank, it can be a nightmare. Some of their abilities, increased health bars, and balance changes due to the 5v5 make it insane if there's more than one tank. Sigma has about 625 health I think, has a barrier, and can absorb projectiles into shield. Zarya has more bubbles now too (though I'm glad of that as I always liked Zarya but felt she could be weak at times).

Really weird occasional bug where everything on screen other than the characters gun and UI is incredibly blurry, as if the character is suddenly short-sighted. Happened once on the first night after launch, but happened twice last night. No matter if I left the game and joined a new one, was still happening. Only way to fix was to close the game completely.

I googled and all the fixes appear to suggest turning off anti-aliasing settings or other graphical settings, however this is on PS5. I did try play one game like that hoping it'd fix after respawning etc, but no joy. Once it happens, just have to close the game and restart.

The monetization model is ass (why would I pay for a battle pass if I'm not even guaranteed to unlock everything??) but Sojourn is damn fun to use!

Advertisement