Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High water table

Options
  • 09-12-2019 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

Im looking at buying a house for myself and have gone sale agreed on it. However on checking planning permissions in adjacent properties and the flood agency I noted that nearby lands flooded 15 years ago. There is a river but it is 1.5 km away and the floodings cause was due to low lieing lands according to the note. I believe the lands were raised since and no flooding has happened

This house seems to be raised 2 feet above the gardens surrounding it and likely the garden is higher than the adjacent lands that flooded.

Anyway the bore hole drilled for the septic tank next door noted that the water table was 1.2meters below the garden in dry weather so the septic tank would need to be raised. Permission was declined due to the water table being too high and the site being too small noting low lieing land. It is possible to raise the percolation area to make the septic tank work. In any case the septic tank for this house indeed seems to be on adjacent raised lands.

The house was built in mid 70s but has had likely 120k spent on it since then on improvements and the owners seem super careful with the quality of work-everything of the highest quality and looks like brand new. They seem to be there 10+years. No evidence of damp or anything like that was seen inside.

What are the chances long term like 50 years of this property ever flooding? Also is it safe to have a water table 1.2meter down+2 feet, would this affect the foundations negatively or could there be rising damp. Would a damp membrane be fitted in the mid seventies? I believe it is concrete slab.

Should I hire a structural surveyor and if so what should I ask him to check? Whats the worst case scenario, I love the house, nothing else on the market like it, price is ok and really want to go ahead but don't want my investment turning to crap later.Thanks

Advertisement