Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

profits on stock market

• 08-12-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

i assume cgt is charged on stock market profits
    are they charged on the amount of profit shown when funds are withdrawn, or do i have to inform the tax authority of my profits (on paper) each time i write a tax return
    i assume if i lose money on the stock market said loses can be calculated against profits i make on other business ventures

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

beaufoy wrote: »
    i assume cgt is charged on stock market profits
    are they charged on the amount of profit shown when funds are withdrawn, or do i have to inform the tax authority of my profits (on paper) each time i write a tax return
    i assume if i lose money on the stock market said loses can be calculated against profits i make on other business ventures

Bit of reading in order.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/how-to-calculate-cgt.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

CGT is ring fenced to CGT gains and losses and not transferable to other tax heads.
    Do you hold the shares in your own name or are they managed for you.
    Gains and losses generally only arise when there's is a disposal.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭beaufoy

i hold etf's and standard shares in a degiro account in my own name. If i sell one share and keep the money in the degiro account to buy another share i assume that is not counted as a disposal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭daheff

beaufoy wrote: »
    i hold etf's and standard shares in a degiro account in my own name. If i sell one share and keep the money in the degiro account to buy another share i assume that is not counted as a disposal

Yes it is counted as a disposal.

Also as you have etfs, be aware of the 8 year deemed disposal rule and that etfs are not taxed like normal shares unless they are under a specific UCITS type.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭beaufoy

daheff wrote: »
    Yes it is counted as a disposal.

Also as you have etfs, be aware of the 8 year deemed disposal rule and that etfs are not taxed like normal shares unless they are under a specific UCITS type.

thanks for info.The tax on shares sold to buy other shares seems to discourage short term trades
    The shares i have sold showed a large profit therefore it would seem logical to sell some of the shares which made a loss in order to reduce my 2019 tax liability
    Does the tax year for CGT run jan 1-dec 31 same as income tax. Is there an extra tax free allowance for CGT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1,270 euro personal reduction in the taxable gain. NOT from the TAX PAYABLE
    For normal shares, ie not in the etfs etc, losses on disposal can be carried forward, and must be used before the 1,270 gets taken off

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement