Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance question

Options
  • 05-11-2019 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I have just purchased car insurance on a new car and they sent me a proof of sale document for the old car. But I haven’t even sold the other car yet and they are looking for proof of sale within the next 7 days. What do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have just purchased car insurance on a new car and they sent me a proof of sale document for the old car. But I haven’t even sold the other car yet and they are looking for proof of sale within the next 7 days. What do I do?

Never in my life have I heard of this....

None of their business even if you kept it....

You are no longer insuring it so their interest stops there.

I would be contacting and asking why.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Depending on how old the car is and how many owners it's had you could always "sell" it to a relative/friend.

But I'd just query first why you need to sell your old car to insure a new one? You won't be covered in it and there's no requirement to dispose of a vehicle just because you bought a new one. The only reason I could think is if you don't have your own off road parking the car needs to be insured but that's your problem not the insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TheRacerboy5

Yeah I don’t get it either like it’s parked in the back of my house waiting to get a few things tidied up on it before I put it back up for sale as it’s still worth in the region of €5000 but it will not be on the road until it’s sold.

I’ve asked a few people about this and they never heard of it before either???

I'm wondering are they doing this as others are insuring one car but driving another.

Is the new car worth more?
    Is the policy open drive.
    Was the other car in your name or other family members name....

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TheRacerboy5

I'm wondering are they doing this as others are insuring one car but driving another.

Is the new car worth more?
    Is the policy open drive.
    Was the other car in your name or other family members name....

Yeah new car is €20,000, policy is not open drive I can only drive my new car. The old car was in my name aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

What "proof of sale" can they ask for ? It's none of their business who buys your car, so they can't ask for a copy of the change of ownership details.
    What else can they expect to recieve to prove you sold it ?
    TBH my 1st thought was that you were using a driving other cars extention to carry on driving a faster car, but you have answered that one.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    What "proof of sale" can they ask for ? It's none of their business who buys your car, so they can't ask for a copy of the change of ownership details.
    What else can they expect to recieve to prove you sold it ?
    TBH my 1st thought was that you were using a driving other cars extention to carry on driving a faster car, but you have answered that one.

Yeah it's the only reason I can think that they are at this....

I would be contacting them and stating you have no receipt as sold private....

None of their business what you do with something you own once of course they no longer have interest in it as insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the OP provides a proof of sale then they can drive their old car assuming they have the 3rd party extension and it doesn't require the other car to be insured. So this letter is actually allowing them to drive their old car. Without proof of sale then the insurance could argue that the car still belongs to the OP, with proof of sale then they can't.

Definitely needs a phone call to find out why they want this, you don't want them cancelling the policy.

Funny how the usual self-appointed "Insurance Reps" haven't come up with an answer to this one......
    Normally once you question anything to do with the Industry they're all over it. :D:D

Yeah it's the only reason I can think that they are at this....

I would be contacting them and stating you have no receipt as sold private....

None of their business what you do with something you own once of course they no longer have interest in it as insured.

The thing is, he wouldn't have a Receipt as he is the Seller not the Buyer. If anything he would be giving the buyer a Receipt. As he doesn't have 'driving other Cars' this makes no sense whatsoever.

We'll just have to hope he can get a reasonable answer from his Insurer....and come back and tell us.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    If the OP provides a proof of sale then they can drive their old car assuming they have the 3rd party extension and it doesn't require the other car to be insured. So this letter is actually allowing them to drive their old car. Without proof of sale then the insurance could argue that the car still belongs to the OP, with proof of sale then they can't.

Definitely needs a phone call to find out why they want this, you don't want them cancelling the policy.

I have 3 cars and have never been asked this....

Never heard of it before.

Thinking about this , the only reason why some Insurers might look for this is if you are changing Insurer and Car at the same time. If the reg number on the NCD Cert doesn't match the reg no the OP is now insuring then apparently a few Insurers will look for this.
    A quick google shows it in Chill's requirements. What difference it makes...I don't know.

https://www.chill.ie/blog/sending-in-insurance-paperwork/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 insuranceman

So reasoning behind this for insurance companies is that you cant use your no claims bonus on 2 vehicles at once. When you are buying a new insurance policy with a new car then they want to be sure that your plan is to not just continue using your discount on your current car with your current company and then using the same bonus on the car they're insuring.

If you did this then you would be using the no claims bonus on your new car and your old car which for whatever reason in Ireland it is a big no no.

They cant actually ask for any proof, usually they send you a form asking for your signature to say that the car is no longer in your possession.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement