Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Are My Goldfinches Gone To

Options
  • 05-12-2019 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭

Up to about two weeks ago I had over 30 Goldfinches at the feeders morning and evening now there are only a handful, I had to fill the feeders on a daily basis with Niger and Sunflower seed now I am getting three days if not more without filling the feeders, where have they gone to they just could not all have cleared out of a well established feeding area which they had been using for months now. Any ideas out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's the nature of goldfinches to form bigger flocks (100+) in Winter and to be extremely peripatetic, wandering over large areas. From a garden feeding point of view, they can be very fickle and move on even though food is still being provided. There is an element of movement southwards in winter but it's not highly significant.

Advertisement