Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Divorce support

• 04-12-2019 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a friend going through a divorce (here in Ireland). She was granted legal aid last year and assigned a solicitor. She's been dealing with the solicitor for about approximately 15 months. Divorce is still no where in sight. The last correspondence from her solicitor was in September or even August of this year. There has been no correspondence from her solicitor since then. She doesn't know if the solicitor has applied to the court for the next part of the divorce process. I think it might be called case progression. The ex is not contexting as far as I'm aware. How is this taking so long? I recommended for her to phone the solicitor but she won't saying the solicitor is clearly busy with other clients aside from herself.

She is stressed. What advice can you give me so I can support her? Is there anything she can do to get things moving?

Why is it taking so long from her solicitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

I've no idea of the timeline involved here and how long the process should take, but surely the only way she's going to find out is by contacting the solicitor involved. Not sure I understand why she's reluctant to do this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Why are you getting involved and asking advice for her when she's not bothered herself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Divorce doesn't take that long when there is no contest. She should just handle it herself. Using the legal aid board will be lenghtening the process. There are plenty of companies who will draw up the documents for you for a few and guide you in the process. They usually charge around 600- 800 for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

She doesn't know if the solicitor has applied to the court for the next part of the divorce process.

She needs to ask this, specifically.
    I recommended for her to phone the solicitor but she won't saying the solicitor is clearly busy with other clients aside from herself.

Not necessarily true, she may simply have failed to progress the case. Your friend should ascertain whether or not the solicitor has done so. Perhaps it has been done and it's a case of waiting for the case to come up. However, she'll probably have a long wait given the volume of cases, and if the solicitor hasn't even started the process, and your friend keeps on waiting, it'll be a hell of a lot longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

My parents divorce took ages.

Through their experience I would say you have to be ontop of your solicitor for regular updates and timelines to ensure things get moved along when they should.

Most solicitors are dealing with multiple cases and things fall by the wayside and reprioritised unless there is someone chasing for answers in mosts cases.

If your friend is waiting on her solicitor to make contact she could be waiting a very long time .

• Advertisement
Advertisement