Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiny Kitchen & Growing Family

Options
  • 03-12-2019 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

We live in a 1960's built ex corporation house. The only bathroom was downstairs, just off the kitchen. Whoever lived in the house before we bought it built a poorly-constructed extension leading from the kitchen (at the original back door of the house) to the bathroom extension.

We have since put in patio doors from the kitchen directly to the back garden.

However, our kitchen is very small and poorly laid out. It means that our kitchen/dining table is situated between 2 doors. 1 is the door from the hallway into the kitchen and 2 is the door from the kitchen into the bathroom.

What this means is that the kitchen table is always pushed up against the wall and whenever we pull it out to sit down as a family for a meal, anyone coming in or out to the bathroom or kitchen from the hall is opening the doors on top of us.

I was thinking of swapping things around, and having a new kitchen fitted on the opposite side, and moving the table & chairs to where the current fitted kitchen sits. The problem with this is that the kitchen units would be squashed
    in with little or no counter space to prepare food.

An extension is out of the question for now as finances do not allow for this.

I was hoping for some inspiration / guidance / ideas here!

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I'm far, far from an expert but on a first glance could you move the table lengthways in the room or hang the doors so they don't open into the kitchen. I've absolutely no idea if doors that are hanging one way can then be hung a different way.

Why not just put a couple of kitchen units and worktop on the wall that the table gets pressed against,? but leave a large gap underneath (ie; no units in the middle) so you can slide a few chairs under it and use it as a 'breakfast bar' of sorts, against the wall?

Would get the table out of the way of the foot traffic going between the doors, and would also maintain the practicality of being able to sit at a table to eat when you wanted it. Plus a lot cheaper than swapping the whole kitchen around.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Nua

Maybe a round table would be worth a try? Would leave better access to doors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any chance you could show the whole ground floor layout?

Advertisement