Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dyspraxia

• 02-12-2019 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    Just looking for ppls opinions on this. I recently came across dyspraxia as a condition online and I’m fairly sure I may have it. Going back through a lot of the symptoms esp to childhood and I had them-my parents still laugh and say learning to tie my shoes in childhood was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I still struggle big time with maths and numbers and did think I might have a v mild form of autism or something but nothing enough to make a fuss over.
    So as an adult I know how to deal with it-I’ll always come last in anything involving hand eye coordination and get colleagues to set up excel spreadsheets for me when it’s involving calculations as I just can’t do it etc etc I have work arounds.
    So my question is -is there any point going getting diagnosed (I could be wrong as I know self diagnosis is not a good idea!) or just leave it be as it won’t change anything?
    It’s more the validation that I’m not absolutely stupid in certain areas to not to be able to do something -but In reality it doesn’t affect me day to day significantly as I have learned to play to my strengths.
    Advice or opinions would be appreciated. If it’s to tell me to get over myself and stop googling I’ve no issues hearing that as well :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I cant offer much help but... A family member of mine has it but was diagnosed early. He is an absolute genius with numbers but has short comings in other areas. For him, I would say he will excel at a job in a math/figures related field. As far as I know, people with the condition often excel in one particular area. Have you any idea what that area might be for you? Perhaps take some time to try new things, find out what your great at and look into a career change..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

An assessment isn't too hard to access. We had an assessment done privately with an OT and paid privately, having attended an educational psychologist beforehand to no avail.
    However before going down this path you should maybe ask yourself what you hope to achieve with an assessment/diagnosis.
    Also what the implications could be with e.g. health insurance if you're living or working abroad, or visas/residency to work abroad.

Think it through carefully. Is there anything you'd like to work on that a diagnosis could help with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Call me Al wrote: »
    An assessment isn't too hard to access. We had an assessment done privately with an OT and paid privately, having attended an educational psychologist beforehand to no avail.
    However before going down this path you should maybe ask yourself what you hope to achieve with an assessment/diagnosis.
    Also what the implications could be with e.g. health insurance if you're living or working abroad, or visas/residency to work abroad.

Think it through carefully. Is there anything you'd like to work on that a diagnosis could help with?

Good point and that’s what I’m thinking as well-I don’t see it being an issue with working abroad etc tbh as that won’t happen again but more what will it effectively change....I already know what areas I can excel and what ones I avoid(I’m very polarised as in in either excellent or crap-no in between!!)
    I think it’s more when I thi back to childhood and a couple of teachers in particular it annoys me the way they treated me so a diagnosis would give me some validation but that’s prob a stupid reason which is why I’m thinking there is no point and I might just be creating issues for myself that I don’t need....
    Thanks for taking the time to respond 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Get over yourself and stop googling.

You seem happy and functional so not sure what putting a label on it will do for you.

I’m a cr@p singer, will I go googling if there is a name for it?

You seem happy and functional so not sure what putting a label on it will do for you.

No need wear a badge on your chest at all OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Perhaps you could look up dyspraxia and how it affects people before you start comparing it to not being able to sing, which, the last time I checked, is not a neurological condition that affects fine and gross motor skills, co-ordination, balance, spatial awareness and sequencing abilities that presents with poor muscle tone and overlaps with some of the symptoms of Autistic Spectrum Disorder just to add to the fun of it.

OP, the toughest thing about having dyspraxia is the attitude of other people towards those who have it. Sadly that won't change with a diagnosis.

You and I can't go back in time and confront those teachers or get the support that thankfully kids with the condition get now. You seem to be doing well despite your challenges and should feel proud of yourself. If you feel really strongly about having an assessment then go for it. I understand the need for answers and validation. What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that most adults with dyspraxia grew up being constantly told they were stupid, lazy, big babies, slow and you do believe it when you're a child. That kind of negative self-perception can be difficult to shake off so I get where you're coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

L1985 wrote: »
    So my question is -is there any point going getting diagnosed (I could be wrong as I know self diagnosis is not a good idea!) or just leave it be as it won’t change anything?
    I

I think you should do just that.

There is occupational treatment for Dyspraxia now. There is no cure but it can help you in your life.

Try Dyspraxia Ireland. They have a website. https://www.dyspraxia.ie/What-is-Dyspraxia-DCD

Also you can meet other people who suffer with it maybe. It might help you.

At least you would be surrounded by people who can genuinely empathize with your issue. That might be a nice environment for you to experience.

After being surrounded by people who don't understand and cannot relate it might be just what you need to surround yourself with people who do understand.

Even if you don't have it....there might be something else ..or things you can do to help yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you are intending to do further education at any point, a diagnosis could be very important in terms of getting course access or any required assistance.

My dyspraxia mainly shows up in motor control function and nothing else* and I've developed my own coping methods that I don't even realise I'm actually doing - until they stop. If I'm unwell, or very tired, or when I got an concussion a while ago I had significant obvious symptoms. But some things have just been unadjustable for me so I basically can't handwrite at all and needed assistive technologies (an ancient Brother word processor!) for some exams. I wouldn't have got that without a diagnosis.

*well, some other things from the list of potential signs are there but people notice you bumping in to them or being unable to write and not some others.

Advertisement