Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2k fine for 30k above limit...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Fantastic , about time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Good news this, that's 80kph in 50kph zone or 60kph outside a school! They do this in Germany. I believe it's an automatic disqualification for double the speed limit. In Sweden I think the fine is down to how rich you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Great news but is there an increase in enforcement?

Waste of time and effort otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is it? 30 km over in a 50 kph zone wouldn't be uncommon but is a huge difference in speed...
    30 kph over on a motorway is only 150kph, doesn't seem as significant,
    Maybe a percentage would be better... Maybe 50% (or something) over the speed limit gets you the bonkers fine..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is it? 30 km over in a 50 kph zone wouldn't be uncommon but is a huge difference in speed...
    Maybe a percentage would be better... Maybe 50% (or something) over the speed limit gets you the bonkers fine..

Doing 179kmph should be a 2k fine and a 2 year ban. Doing 150 likewise. If anything it's too soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

It may happen but not for a very long time, even then it'll probably be filtered to the point it's either unenforceable or not worth it, BTW, that's if Ross lasts which would be very doubtful.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Good - driving in this country is a horrible experience, the aggression on the roads is incredible.

Keyzer wrote: »
    Good - driving in this country is a horrible experience, the aggression on the roads is incredible.

Try England or the US, little ol Eire's positively easy going in comparison. :D

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You if they were actually trying to save lives and not generate revenue they would be outside the schools with the speed guns instead of being on an empty N7 on a Sunday morning catching the "killers".

Sunday is the worst day for road deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Maybe, but not on motorways.

Keyzer wrote: »

Get out of the way then :D

zubair wrote: »
    Maybe, but not on motorways.

Get out of the way then :D

N7 isn’t a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

they should concentrate on reckless phone usage - rampant more than ever, running red lights , tail gating and aggressive behavior.

i seen a guy in a ford focus the other night on m50 , inside of the car was glowing like an ord - he was looking at a tablet ffs ! Not the first ive seen either , man or woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I speed by the schools as fast as possible! Minimising the risk v time exoposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Markcheese wrote: »

It definitely should be a percentage over the limit not a set speed. 150 on a motorway(125% of the limit) is not as dangerous as 60 outside of a school(200% of the limit). I thought I'd read about this proposal being shot down only recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭AlanG

Its not a bad idea although I would say you could watch all day at a road like to slip form the N3 onto the M50 and not one car would pass without doing at least 20 over the limit. The vast majority would be at least 200% of the limit and I don't recall there ever being a crash there. These sort of limits need to be sorted out before any blanket rules for fines are brought in.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3840898,-6.3619922,3a,75y,107.29h,81.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSCklu4hY_beNf8abS2K96A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

...and when did it become legal for drivers to be allowed to wear noise cancelling headphones ...and carry hot beverages while driving....:confused:

..and, who's going to be calibrating all these speed guns taking into consideration that speedometers are rarely accurate....

...AND, we ALL speed..its only when we see others doing it in their cars that we get pi$$ed......

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Meh, rally on

..and, who's going to be calibrating all these speed guns taking into consideration that speedometers are rarely accurate....

Usually UKAS or NASI approved labs, though theoretically a traceable cal from one gun to the other would be fine (esp with our law), ie. get one gun properly calibrated then double it with another and compare results, would work fine really.

They don't need to be calibrated or even working according to our statute book. By EU law all vehicles have to overstate the speed you are doing by up to 10%, so if you are caught doing 51 in a 50 zone your speedo will have shown around 55. If you modify the vehicle its up to you to ensure that the speedo is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Just steal a car and have a few hundred previous convictions and hit somebody with it while doing double the speed limit and this won't apply to you.

More easy pickings nonsense rather than tackling actual issues and enforcing stuff. If it went ahead I guarantee there would be zero speed cameras anywhere near a school or a built up area and they'd actually all be hidden on wide open motorways and national roads where they would make the most money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

..foreign guy knocked at the door today offering cheap insurance...€100 for all my bikes fully comp....result...:D

Hoboo wrote: »
    Doing 179kmph should be a 2k fine and a 2 year ban. Doing 150 likewise. If anything it's too soft.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Banzai600 wrote: »
    they should concentrate on reckless phone usage - rampant more than ever, running red lights , tail gating and aggressive behavior.
    A range of behaviours need to be targeted. Otherwise people will do everything but that one thing you are enforcing against.
    AlanG wrote: »
    Its not a bad idea although I would say you could watch all day at a road like to slip form the N3 onto the M50 and not one car would pass without doing at least 20 over the limit. The vast majority would be at least 200% of the limit and I don't recall there ever being a crash there. These sort of limits need to be sorted out before any blanket rules for fines are brought in.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3840898,-6.3619922,3a,75y,107.29h,81.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSCklu4hY_beNf8abS2K96A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
    The problem at such locations is trucks toppling over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭H_Lime

batman_oh wrote: »
    Just steal a car and have a few hundred previous convictions and hit somebody with it while doing double the speed limit and this won't apply to you.

More easy pickings nonsense rather than tackling actual issues and enforcing stuff. If it went ahead I guarantee there would be zero speed cameras anywhere near a school or a built up area and they'd actually all be hidden on wide open motorways and national roads where they would make the most money.

This is the actual scenario that I envisage.
    Easy taxation and yet further nanny stateism, and with that I depart further politicking on boards and shall only ever ****e on about bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conndeal

I hate the way Shane Ross introduces new laws. I would like new laws to be based on facts and figures. In this case it would be good to know what speed drivers were doing who received penalty points over the past 10 years. Have we a big problem with drivers going at 50km over the speed limit?

My heart goes out to people who have lost relatives in road accidents. I have cried listening to their stories. But I hate the way these people are used to bring in new road traffic laws. Laws should not be based on tragic cases unless there is evidence to show a change is needed. This evidence is not being presented by the RSA or Shane Ross or it is not been reported in the media if it is available.

It really annoys me. I feel they are trying to manipulate me with these tragic cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Banzai600 wrote: »

i seen a guy in a ford focus the other night on m50 , inside of the car was glowing like an ord - he was looking at a tablet ffs ! Not the first ive seen either , man or woman.

Almost got clattered in heavy rain and traffic on M50 earlier from some car drifting lanes while the driver was watching a video on their mobile. Enforcement and education are what we need, not revenue generating disincentives which are unlikely to do anything real to tackle the actual problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's only 2000 if you get caught!

N7 isn’t a motorway.

Sh1t, really, I've been doing 120 +29% this whole time!

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Sh1t, really, I've been doing 120 +29% this whole time!

There can still be a 120 limit on an N road. If there's no alternative route the road has to stay a national road so learners or slow vehicles can use it but the limit can be 120 if its built to motorway standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Del2005 wrote: »
    There can still be a 120 limit on an N road. If there's no alternative route the road has to stay a national road so learners or slow vehicles can use it but the limit can be 120 if its built to motorway standard.
    Is there actually any N road with a speed limit of 120kph?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

Coming off the M50, at lots of exits, you go from 100 mph and in a very short time you're supposed to slow down to a totally inappropriate 30kph. That's 18mph in old money.
    Literally everyone ignores it, and it would be very dangerous if someone decided to stand on the brakes to slow down to the speed required. Plus they'd be blown off the road for being inconsiderate.
    Brand new roads and some prik decided that 18mph is the maximum speed you're allowed do. FFS, if you're on the motorway in the first place, then by definition, you have to hold a full licence.
    Doesn't happen abroad. Poor Paddy is too stupid of calculating how fast/slow they should be going. Are we really that incapable of judging for ourselves what an appropiate speed is? This just brings the law into disrepute and even the appropriate rules get ignored.
    A speed limit is supposed to be just that. It's not a target. It should be up to the driver to decide what an appropriate speed is relative to road, weather and lighting conditions.

I blame the cycling lobby in the NRA. Couldn't organize a pics up in a brewery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is there actually any N road with a speed limit of 120kph?
    Carrigtwohill to Cork is 120.

Del2005 wrote: »

Not the N7 though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Murt10 wrote: »
    Coming off the M50, at lots of exits, you go from 100 mph and in a very short time you're supposed to slow down to a totally inappropriate 30kph.

1. Don't do 100 mph then.
    2. You know what is up ahead. Adjust your speed.

blade1 wrote: »
    Carrigtwohill to Cork is 120.

N1 north of Dundalk too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,495 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The fúck has happened to this forum?

Sad.

Don't any of you recognise a self-publicist career w@nker like Shane Ross when you see one? Election coming up, spout something controversial, name in papers, job done. Because that's what he sees as his job - getting himself elected - not doing anything useful in relation to transport. He's done nothing in relation to his actual job and spends more time giving out about a garda station in his backyard being closed.

I swear to fúck, if in a few years he or some other gobsh!te proposes that speeders will be shot without trial, there will be people on this forum thanking it. :rolleyes:

NEVER, EVER forget that if you gave people like that their way they'd ban motorbikes entirely in the morning.

Hang up your helmets in shame.

:mad:

Scrap the cap!

Victor wrote: »
    1. Don't do 100 mph then.

You know what he meant ffs.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

NEVER, EVER forget that if you gave people like that their way they'd ban motorbikes entirely in the morning.

i thought i was the only one noticing the anti-motorbike agenda in this country...so im not imagining it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have you the lotto numbers as well for this weekend?

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Have you the lotto numbers as well for this weekend?

Pretty sure the RSA can't tell you that but they do know the worst day to ride a bike.

bladespin wrote: »
    Pretty sure the RSA can't tell you that but they do know the worst day to ride a bike.

The stat I saw wasn't specifically for bikes, but yeah easy enough for the RSA to calculate on what day most road deaths occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

bladespin wrote: »

Is Sunday the worst day because the road deaths happen mostly between 00:00 and 04:00 on Sundays?

I think this stat is based on motorbikes, I've heard it before. There are more bikers on the road, some are seasonal riders and tend to have less mileage and are out for a hot spin on secondary and regional roads. Makes sense to me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

N1 north of Dundalk too.

Is that where the motorway becomes dual carriageway before the border? I'm always slowing down on that stretch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

The fúck has happened to this forum?

Sad.

Don't any of you recognise a self-publicist career w@nker like Shane Ross when you see one? Election coming up, spout something controversial, name in papers, job done. Because that's what he sees as his job - getting himself elected - not doing anything useful in relation to transport. He's done nothing in relation to his actual job and spends more time giving out about a garda station in his backyard being closed.

I swear to fúck, if in a few years he or some other gobsh!te proposes that speeders will be shot without trial, there will be people on this forum thanking it. :rolleyes:

Hang up your helmets in shame.

Nail on the head.

Since he has come in, any poor soul that has to pass through the city center on a bus , car or taxi may have to bring a packed lunch as they are going to be stuck there for hours as his NTA decided to put a train through Collage Green.

Lets face it, he is not up to the job, and a few last ditch attempts to give cyclist more rights and catch speeders is futile. Its a cop out. And a lame attempt to deal with the fact that he cant provide a safer cycle segregated infrastructure or more Garda to police the rules that already exist.

Unfortunately the snowflake generation are easy pulled along.

And unfortunately they also have a vote.

It's not even that he's not up to his job - which he isn't - he's not interested in even trying to do his job. A complete tosser.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I’m all for progressive punishments for faster speeds as the current 3 points for barely exceeding the limit isn’t fair or right.

Ross has got the formula all wrong, should be on percentages over the limit instead like some other places have but he still managed to mess it up. No surprise really.

They always go for the excessive punishment in these laws to put fear into people because there’s barely any enforcement.

Imagine a €2000 fine and court date for driving 131km/h on the M50?

Keith186 wrote: »
    Imagine a €2000 fine and court date for driving 131km/h on the M50?

You think that's mad, imagine a speed check on the m50! (not that I'm complaining)

• Advertisement
Advertisement