Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Jacket

Options
  • 06-11-2019 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

This is a regularly discussed topic I know but need something fairly quick as my Galibier Mistral Foul II was nowhere to be found when went looking for it recently.

Want something to protect reasonably well against winter elements but it has to be breathable... owned a Galibier Colombiere before and it was horrible in typical Irish winter conditions, soaked inside when dry outside.

See a good looking price on the Rapha Classic Winter at CRC:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/rapha-classic-winter-jacket-aw18/rp-prod177582

I presume this would do the job and a bright color would be my preference for winter. Any feedback on it ?

Also wondering about

https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-pro-jacket/

but it may be too warm in spite of the zip options.

Other well priced suggestions, I would generally be looking to wear just a single layer underneath ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I ordered the Rapha one, i have the Castelli Alpha jacket at the moment and its perfect with one layer underneath. I have had the Alpha jacket about four years now and its starting to fall apart.

Great price on the Rapha one, too good to turn down

The Galibier stuff gets great reviews but its too dark to get in my house

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've been using along sleeve Gabba with compression vest and long sleeve base layer underneath. Its been more than enough for the last 2 winters.

I also have a winter jacket that I bought in Aldi two years ago, its very warm, windproof & shower proof but a bit bulky. I use it when out on the mountain bike during the winter.

The LS Gabba has now been renamed the Perfetto, I also have one of them, as far as I can tell its identical to the LS Gabba but with a slightly neater tail piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

posted by Daroxtar in the bargain thread:

Castelli Perfetto €111

https://www.tweekscycles.com/eu/cast...mpaign=119535/

i got one its great but sizing is Italian....

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

devonp wrote: »
    posted by Daroxtar in the bargain thread:

Castelli Perfetto €111

https://www.tweekscycles.com/eu/cast...mpaign=119535/

i got one its great but sizing is Italian....

Second that but go one size up

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

The Mistral is bloody fantastic piece of kit, for me its the perfect balance for Irish winters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

What's the Rapha like for sizing, very tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I have both the gabba SS and the Galibier mistral. I run quite hot so I find the gabba + galibier arm warmers just right for most of autumn winter spring as I can add baselayers beneath and take off arms to cool down.

Mistral I find its warm and a little short at the back - how is the sizing and fit on the Rapha? This review shows it as loose fitting
    I think it has a storm flap at the back which is a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Assos 851 for the very cold days and a Castelli Perfetto (long sleeve Gabba) for the rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

+1 on the Rapha Winter Jacket

Wore one on the Tara 200 last year. The day was as miserable as they come in an Irish winter - 12 hours of wind, rain and cold temperatures. It held out perfectly, keeping me warm and dry for the whole day. (Currently selling one as I have a second).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

OleRodrigo wrote: »

Wore one on the Tara 200 last year. The day was as miserable as they come in an Irish winter - 12 hours of wind, rain and cold temperatures. It held out perfectly, keeping me warm and dry for the whole day. (Currently selling one as I have a second).

https://road.cc/content/review/215280-rapha-classic-winter-jacket

Ole,
    The review, above is generally very good, but the reviewer doesn't like the fitting around the waist. Apparently, it's a bit bit loose. What do you think?.
    I'm 185cms and about 87kgs,do you think the XL would fit me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭G1032

OleRodrigo wrote: »

Any reviews that gave a poor rating said the for around the waist is very loose and that the pockets on the back are very high up and difficult to access.
    Have the found those criticisms to be true??

I've looked at a few pictures of the jacket too on Google images. The fit around the waist does indeed look loose

What's the Rapha like for sizing, very tempted.
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    https://road.cc/content/review/215280-rapha-classic-winter-jacket

Ole,
    The review, above is generally very good, but the reviewer doesn't like the fitting around the waist. Apparently, it's a bit bit loose. What do you think?.
    I'm 185cms and about 87kgs,do you think the XL would fit me?

Didn't notice the waist fitting as being loose at all and I didnt make any adjustment with the chord either. Can't imagine it being an issue.

It's a snug enough fit, for a jacket. You only need a base layer underneath. I think the XL would be fine. They have great returns service anyway.

G1032 wrote: »
    Any reviews that gave a poor rating said the for around the waist is very loose and that the pockets on the back are very high up and difficult to access.
    Have the found those criticisms to be true??

I've looked at a few pictures of the jacket too on Google images. The fit around the waist does indeed look loose

The pockets are slightly high, now that you mention it, but if you've been attending your pilates classes you'll be grand :)

I don't think any of the criticisms are significant, tbh, more a personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

C3PO wrote: »
    Assos 851 for the very cold days and a Castelli Perfetto (long sleeve Gabba) for the rest!

Agree with C3PO - can’t beat the Assos air jack 851, although I think that model isn’t available anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Missed out on the Rapha, raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Also looking for a new jacket, most of my cycling is city commuting, at least one way in the dark. What’s the Provest 360 like? I’ve seen plenty on the road and they look good. Are they a shell or is there heat in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

C3PO wrote: »

Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Have a Columbia Outdry. Totally waterproof and breathable enough so I don't need to check the weather forecast to see if it's worth bringing, I just throw it on regardless of the weather 9 months a year (excluding summer when it gets too hot for long sleeves). Had too many "boil in the bag" issues with other waterproofs I tried.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

For cold, Santini Meridian jacket. Bloody amazing for rain, Parentini Vita. It's like a gabba, but better imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hmm, my Vita was okay this morn. Sleeves soaked through, the rest held up better.

I've given thought to getting a Shakedry jacket or Castelli Idro, but I don't know if they'd even be much use on a day like today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Also looking for a new jacket, most of my cycling is city commuting, at least one way in the dark. What’s the Provest 360 like? I’ve seen plenty on the road and they look good. Are they a shell or is there heat in them?
    I assume you mean the ProViz 360? I have one for commuting. Not breathable (so I wouldn't wear it on a spin) but waterproof. Not very packable. But good for commuting, particularly rural.

I also have a Polaris RBS waterproof - they often have a sale on their site, I think I paid stg£15. Postage steep direct to Ireland, but addresspal/ parcel motel works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Weepsie wrote: »
    Hmm, my Vita was okay this morn. Sleeves soaked through, the rest held up better.

I've given thought to getting a Shakedry jacket or Castelli Idro, but I don't know if they'd even be much use on a day like today

Left Bray at 8am to Dublin 2 - bone dry top half with a Shakedry. It continues to be the best bit of cycling kit I have ever bought, period. They are phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Weepsie wrote:

I have a Shakedry jacket for running (North-face Hyperair). It does an excellent keeping the rain off and is great for running. The only technologies I trust for staying waterproof are Shakedry, Outdry or Nikwax Analogy (mostly found in Paramo jackets). The DWR coating which most jackets use is not fit for purpose imo. I'm wary using it commuting on the bike though as the material feels quite flimsy and would be worried about rucksack straps potentially tearing it. Also, they only make it in black which isn't great for winter evenings imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Missed out on the Rapha, raging.

By the time I managed to measure myself up to decide on size missed out too. Back to drawing board

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

If anyone has direct links to bargain prices on jackets that fit the bill could they post here. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I assume you mean the ProViz 360? I have one for commuting. Not breathable (so I wouldn't wear it on a spin) but waterproof. Not very packable. But good for commuting, particularly rural.
    What would you wear under it on a day like today? How's the fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What would you wear under it on a day like today? How's the fit?
    Fits true to sizing chart, more in line with "normal clothes" than cycling. I'm medium in most cycling gear, border line S/M in normal clothes. I brought a small, as was a proper bargain, but it's aero. Medium would've been better, but was 2/3's more!

Today I would've gone winter base layer, winter jersey but I've circulation issues so I go overboard in keeping my core toasty (latest thinking is core temp does a lot for extremity temp).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

If anyone has direct links to bargain prices on jackets that fit the bill could they post here. Thanks

I'm interested as to why you don't seem inclined to go for another Mistral? I have one of the first generation, it's my go to jacket from end Oct to early May since I got it in July 2015, it's still pretty much as good as the day I got it with a bit of TLC and occasional DWR re treatment I do at home here with the Graingers spray on product.

I have the pro jacket too, I doubt I'll ever wear it out, just because we don't get enough days really cold enough for it, though if I was out today I'd have it on.

Weepsie wrote: »

Am, just looked up that Castelli Idro. It's around €400. That's just absolutely insane beyond belief.

• Advertisement

By the time I managed to measure myself up to decide on size missed out too. Back to drawing board

Mistral Pro. Just order that.
    I had a Mistral before and found it fantastic. But was a tad too big and sold it. Guy that bought it is delighted with it too.
    I'm going to order another now I think. My Gabba has totally lost all water resistance despite washing with Nikwax to try and restore it. But it owes me nothing at this stage. I've gotten a huge amount of wear out of it.

Advertisement