Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat dragged in this bird

Options
  • 09-07-2019 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Have no idea what it is, closest thing I could find was some water birds, but we're not too near any water.

Bigger than a robin, smaller than a blackbird, any ideas?

That plume at the top of it's legs was a wine type colour.

W9MNJaN.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I don't know what the bird is, but I love the cat's paw still in the picture. Not a happy pussy I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Anybody nearby keep poultry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Feet look webbed, perhaps a tern? Global warming is really messing with migratory patterns and overfishing is forcing birds to move inland. Sick society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Feet look webbed, perhaps a tern? Global warming is really messing with migratory patterns and overfishing is forcing birds to move inland. Sick society.

Feet weren't webbed

Anybody nearby keep poultry?

Not that I know of, I'm in a housing estate with lots of cats, so I'd imagine they might be more careful if there is..

I don't know what the bird is, but I love the cat's paw still in the picture. Not a happy pussy I'd say!

I've never heard my cat growl before until I tried to hoosh her out the door :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I found a half eaten blackbird under the car this morning. Proxy cats.

• Advertisement

I found a half eaten blackbird under the car this morning. Proxy cats.

They are the bane of our lives around here at the moment. Prowling our garden for birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Kinda looks like a quail.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That's what I was thinking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

It's In My Nature

tn-Rifle.jpg

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking too.

I think we have a winner, juvenile male tuxedo quail... (Adult in the pic, markings in the same place)

bqBFtuxmale2015.JPG

Now the next question, where did the cat get it from :-D

Somebody locally breeding them isn't too happy now. I'd keep that cat at home for a while.

Somebody locally breeding them isn't too happy now. I'd keep that cat at home for a while.

They usually are, was home at lunch so let them out for a float around... were literally out 10mins and I saw this ... but will keep an eye on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never found out what the law says on cats entering your property; if a neighbour's dog entered your property, i suspect you'd have some comeback in informing the council about loose dogs, but i can't imagine a warm welcome if you reported a cat on your property, even if it was killing birds (be they wild or domesticated). if you're allowed use deadly force on a dog using livestock, what does the law say on cats killing domesticated birds?

and i say this as someone who has recently taken in two rescue kittens. i am in no way endorsing violence against animals, but by the same token, our two are going to be house cats.

Someone certainly won’t be happy. I know I wouldn’t be happy at all. Cats in my back garden have scared off my hedgehogs that were once plentiful under my shed have no disappeared. I know they won’t do anything to an adult hedgy but they’d certainly pester them enough to drive them off. I have a worm garden for the hedgehogs and I’ve plenty of words because the hedgehogs aren’t around.

arccosh wrote: »
    I think we have a winner, juvenile male tuxedo quail... (Adult in the pic, markings in the same place)

bqBFtuxmale2015.JPG

Now the next question, where did the cat get it from :-D

Quails are getting more popular now for bird owners. They’ll be at the bottom of a aviary while finches etc sleep on the top of it. Neighbour of mine used to have them under his parrots. But they weren’t tuxedos. They were Chinese painted quail. Used to get the odd egg off him for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and i say this as someone who has recently taken in two rescue kittens. i am in no way endorsing violence against animals, but by the same token, our two are going to be house cats.

house cats? as in never go outside? thats cruel surely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

our previous cat was as happy as a clam. we've a decent size house the cats have the run of.

fryup wrote: »

You can have cats that are predominately indoors and under a level of control while outside. It's the irresponsible owners who let cats roam at will and, worse again, leave them out at night that are the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

It's the irresponsible owners who let cats roam at will.

I thought that was what most cats were designed to do!

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    I thought that was what most cats were designed to do!

Many species are designed to roam much more that cats, dogs included, but they are not allowed to do so to the detriment of others.

is it more cruel to a cat to keep it inside, than it is cruel to other animals to let the cat roam and possibly kill them?

i guess the choice has three options:
    don't get a cat.
    get a cat, and let it roam free and accept it will probably kill other animals.
    get a cat, keep it as a house cat and try your best to give it a good life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Why can't cats be treated same as dogs. If you want to let it outside, and it tends to wander, ( as cats do) then get an enclosure for it. Loads for sale on the net. If you don't have a garden, bring it for walks on a leash, just like people with dogs do.

I can feel the eye's rolling, but why does this sound such an alien concept? If you care for wildlife, then do what ever it takes to protect said wildlife from your pets.

P.s I'm sick of neighbours cats *issing and *hitting in my turf shed. Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

FFS house cats my a*se no such thing- every bloody cat near me are all "house cats" - majority of cat owners are irresponsible - they leave them wander to crap in garden's- kill birds and generally do what they want- killed countless birds in mine and neighbours gardens,each time I spot one in mine the hurley appears,noise is enough to scare them but the disgusting creatures are back again pretty soon

FFS house cats my a*se no such thing- every bloody cat near me are all "house cats" - majority of cat owners are irresponsible - they leave them wander to crap in garden's- kill birds and generally do what they want- killed countless birds in mine and neighbours gardens,each time I spot one in mine the hurley appears,noise is enough to scare them but the disgusting creatures are back again pretty soon
    Here, here.

And the absurdity of rural dwellers thinking they are better placed to let cats roam, because they have no immediate neighbour. The cats still kill huge numbers of birds and small mammals and will find a distant neighbour's garden to use as a toilet - as I know all too well. They then have the nerve to say they are doing us all a favour by keeping the rat population in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

What could you legally do if you could actually catch a neighbours cat in your garden? Have 3 of them targeting bird feeders in my garden and taking birds. I live in an urban area and have worked bloody hard to get the birds I have, so it is sickening.

Impossible to catch the b*stards but if I did, it would be getting a sound dunking in the pond in the hopes of scaring it into not coming back. (Small chance of that working anyways, I know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Impossible to catch the b*stards .....

Expect a PM ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

geRKZ22.jpg

FFS house cats my a*se no such thing- every bloody cat near me are all "house cats"
    not sure how to respond to this; given that my post formed part of the chain which you responded to. there are plenty of people who are conscientious cat owners, but most people don't know they exist precisely because their cats don't cause problems or appear in your garden.
    so yes, "house cats" are a problem but house cats are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wife was at the window this morning and saw a cat get a starling, she ran after it but it would not drop it, this cat actually has a collar and bell I am feeding Goldfinches, Sparrows, Blue Tits and Starlings what is the best way to try to protect them, I have the feeders under a plastic cover on the shed but I still see cats hiding, I move all the pots etc so they can not hide was thinking of getting plastic fence and attaching it to the shed both ends so they would not be able to surprise the birds, any other ideas. In Galway City.

Advertisement