Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IndyCar 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Only option really. Couldn't go back to Andretti, or any of the Honda teams, as Honda didn't want them.

As for Alonso, don't know. Maybe he really wants two legs of the triple crown to be with the same team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Harika

Half way through the back row runoff. Good speeds from Hinch and Alonso. Not good from Chilton.

Chilton out, Alonso in 33rd with two cars to go

Mclaren had different ideas how that might pan out

Yeah great success

Alonso out. Beaten by a car with no sponsorship by 0.019mph!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That was tight. Shame for Alonso.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Very disappointed for Alonso ,annoyed with McLaren, yes things can go wrong and even PensKe have missed out in the past but the warnings have been there since Monday and not having a back up Oval car and losing a day of practice after the crash (noting Ganassi were back on track within hours) highlight imho a complete underestimation of what is required for Indy.

There is the option to buy out another drive - it's the car that is qualified not the driver....

• Advertisement

Imagine if he bought out Herta's car for the race. Herta has plenty of years ahead of him, Alonso, not so much.

We know Honda-powered cars are off limits for Alonso. What are his options for a buy-to-drive?

Pag on pole. 3 laps over 230mph.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Imagine if he bought out Herta's car for the race. Herta has plenty of years ahead of him, Alonso, not so much.

We know Honda-powered cars are off limits for Alonso. What are his options for a buy-to-drive?

Kaiser would make more sense as they have no sponsorship, but the question is why should they? Their car is not competitive and winning the Indy with that would be a miracle.

Gil de Ferran has said they won't look to buy their way in.

Gil de Ferran has said they won't look to buy their way in.
    Like PensKe they are doing the right thing and accepting their defeat imho , I know business is business but when Andretti bought a seat for Ryan Hunter Reay a few years ago (Brunos AJ Foyt seat iirc) it never sat well with me .

A full time McLaren effort will be brought forward now imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I dont think you can say the car isnt competitive, quali trim and race trim are totally different.
    Was surprised they have given up on buying a slot, there were a lot of sponsors on that car. Maybe theyre all queuing up at Juncos door this morning.

• Advertisement

I dont think you can say the car isnt competitive, quali trim and race trim are totally different.
    Was surprised they have given up on buying a slot, there were a lot of sponsors on that car. Maybe theyre all queuing up at Juncos door this morning.
    Open to correction but afaik the back up car was a Carlin prepared road chassis

Bob Fernley,present of the McLaren Indy project has left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I think that's the definition of the word omnishambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Fail. Just a fail. Not even fail to prepare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I think Alonso will come back next year to give it another go properly with one of the top teams, most likely Andretti as Penske will only field an additional car for Castroneves and Ganassi never fields additional cars

I can't see McLaren returning to Indycar after this embarrassment. If they are going to run Indy 500 next year they need to enter in the series full time. Entering Alonso as a sole entrant, with a leased car with technical support from a struggling 2nd year team thinking they were going to be competitive a bit of both stupidity and arrogance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Only option really. Couldn't go back to Andretti, or any of the Honda teams, as Honda didn't want them.
    Yeah pretty much, the only sensible option on the Chevy side would have been Ed Carpenter's team but he already has a technical alliance with Scuderia Corsa so that option was a non-runner. Norris drove for Carlin going through the ranks and there was not much options from outside of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

So much 'Muricah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Just start the race already

Can't get a working feckin stream, doing my head it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Was good start to the race, feels very fast after the f1

Castroneves. :rolleyes:

Lucky no one was hurt by that incident in the pits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is the greatest Motorsports race imo.
    Newgarden and Carpenter would be my picks at this stage.

Lucky no one was hurt by that incident in the pits

Jordan King hitting one of the tyres propelling it into a mechanic. Nasty enough that one.

A bit of mayhem ensuing!

• Advertisement

Feel very sorry for the Juncos team.

Alex Brundle sounds so like his father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For those who don't know, Conor Daly, currently 6th, is the son of Dublin's Derek Daly who was a formula one driver for a couple of years before moving to America and going into the Indycar racing. Daly snr. led the Monaco Grand Prix with just over a lap to go in '82 before his gearbox seized.

He does, and he's also an excellent commentator. Not watching the Sky coverage, but he has done great work for Radio Le Mans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

It's uncanny!

Good few incidents in the pits today. Unlucky for Rossi as well looks like he was on course to win

Such a spicy race. The pit lane is providing all the spectacle.

What a move from Rossi

Rossi is a man possessed

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    For those who don't know, Conor Daly, currently 6th, is the son of Dublin's Derek Daly who was a formula one driver for a couple of years before moving to America and going into the Indycar racing. Daly snr. led the Monaco Grand Prix with just over a lap to go in '82 before his gearbox seized.

Up in 4th at the moment and doing pretty well! Rossi behind him now, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I would hate to be in America watch that with the amount of ad breaks sometimes not even a minutes between adverts

I would hate to be in America watch that with the amount of ad breaks sometimes not even a minutes between adverts

Was really surprised when I watched the Chinese Grand Prix on ESPN 2 over there last year, expected it to be ridiculous but there was just the full uninterrupted Sky coverage. Could you imagine nowadays if they cut from the F1 to tell you about some new X Factor judge...

Actually, given how the last few F1 races have panned out, it probably wouldn't matter that much! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Was really surprised when I watched the Chinese Grand Prix on ESPN 2 over there last year, expected it to be ridiculous but there was just the full uninterrupted Sky coverage. Could you imagine nowadays if they cut from the F1 to tell you about some new X Factor judge...

Actually, given how the last few F1 races have panned out, it probably wouldn't matter that much! :)

I wonder since Sky are pulling the NBC coverage that is like ITV so maybe that is why there is adverts of wonder if the full race without adverts is on like NBC Sports or something like that

Massive shunt, going to be a long caution period to clean this up

Cool_CM wrote: »

It's sponsored so there's no ads.

Big crash. Big impact for Sea Bass and Veach.

• Advertisement

Great job avoiding the crash by Hinch and Ferrucci (the little racist prick).

The entire presentation is a shilling masterclass, constantly shoving another brand name down your throat. On the plus side, the racing is really good. Still anyone's race to win

Should be a good, straight run to the end. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How long before we fire up for the dash to the flag?

skipper_G wrote: »
    The entire presentation is a shilling masterclass, constantly shoving another brand name down your throat. On the plus side, the racing is really good. Still anyone's race to win

Thankfully I'm immune to such advertising*.

* This comment is brought to you by Firestone, keeping my backside stuck to my seat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement