Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Crime Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

They are talking about The Nobody Zone right now on Radio 1 with one of the producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

The Nobody Zone Episode 3:
    In relation to whether they should have included Geoff's claims at all only to discredit him, I think the justification in this instance is that the podcast would not exist were it not for the book he wrote. It was his book and the hype surrounding it that sparked the idea in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

fair point Kansas. agreed

I've also been listening to the Fatal Voyage podcast by that Colin McLaren guy from Australia. Series One was about the death of Natalie Wood, Series Two was about the death of Princess Diana, and Season three is about JFK Junior and his "unfortunate" plane crash.

They are worth a listen but I sort of lost all respect for Colin Mclaren when he came to the conclusion that JFK Senior was actually shot by a secret service agent who was in the car behind (whose automatic weapon went off by accident!).

https://podbay.fm/podcast/1411528418

the dateline NBC podcasts are actually fairly good one-episode case stories imo - a reasonable amount are quite interesting and pretty well done as they have integrated the witnesses pretty well - has anybody tried them?

• Advertisement

I've also been listening to the Fatal Voyage podcast by that Colin McLaren guy from Australia. Series One was about the death of Natalie Wood, Series Two was about the death of Princess Diana, and Season three is about JFK Junior and his "unfortunate" plane crash.

They are worth a listen but I sort of lost all respect for Colin Mclaren when he came to the conclusion that JFK Senior was actually shot by a secret service agent who was in the car behind (whose automatic weapon went off by accident!).

https://podbay.fm/podcast/1411528418

sounds like he is partial to a donning tinfoil hat?

I heard Tubridy this morning saying that The Nobody Zone is one of the best podcasts ever made. I think this remark only makes sense in the context that he considers himself an excellent host of the late late show. It's not bad by any means by the structure of it has really gone to hell after they pulled the rug from under their own story in Episode Three. And I listened to Episode four where they discussed three particular murders, and this is probably where they should have started the series.

Tubridy says they were right to tell the story in only six episodes. I argue that they could have told the story in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really enjoying the nobody zone 2 episodes in
    Kelly was a really ****ed up person and the cop guy in episode 2 equally as
    The Christy Moore song really fits in

Episode Five of The Nobody Zone is out today. I listened to it earlier and thought it was quite good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

glasso wrote: »
    the dateline NBC podcasts are actually fairly good one-episode case stories imo - a reasonable amount are quite interesting and pretty well done as they have integrated the witnesses pretty well - has anybody tried them?

Yeah really enjoying them and the 48 hours ones, really easy to listen too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The Annie McCarrick case was covered by True Crime Garage this week.

Well worth a listen.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

If we're picking individual episodes with an Irish bent, then the Redhanded podcast did an episode on Ana Kriegal.

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/redhanded/episode-130-ana-kri%C3%A9gel-the-LnArtPpwUlk/

It's a good telling of the story, but God it is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Anyone listen to the last episode of The Nobody Zone?
    Overall, it was interesting series and very well done. However, it presented very little new information.

I was hoping there would be some type of breakthrough, but they seemed to draw blanks at every turn. They never really determined if the person supposedly murdered in Bank Tube station in 1953 actually existed. You'd imagine there would have been some record of a body found so likely it never happened.

IMO, Kelly was a serial killer, but also a fantasist and didn't kill as many people as he claims. The ex detective (I think they showed he never actually was a detective nor central to the case) was a headbanger also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I thought it was only so so. A lot of dead ends and much building up to revalations that never arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Did love the nobody zone series but found last episode a bit disappointing

Day Six in the Big Brother house and somebody else has made a gobsh1te out of Rob. In this episode, some lad tells Rob that there are bones buried in the ground. Rob hires a team to dig the ground and they found nothing. I think if you sent out Rob to sell your cow he would come back with magic beans.

Really annoyed with this podcast. Aside from episode four, which I thought was really good, the rest of it just really annoyed me. Lost complete trust in the podcast after the second episode and never recovered. The narration really annoyed me. This should have been a one hour episode on Documentary On One, not this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I finished episode three of Nobody Zone tonight. I am enthralled by it. I can see the flaws, and am as disappointed (not sure it's the correct word given the scale of the crimes) as anyone that Geoff was a spoofer, but his whole angle is fascinating as it is. He's like Jay from the Inbetweeners with his high tales.

Now I'm far from an expert when it comes to podcasts- Dan Carlin and No Such Thing as a Fish are the only two I have on my playlist-but it seems to be really well put together, from the use of underground trains whirring by the background, to interjecting in and out of the original police interview in 1983.

Looking forward to finishing out, and now have a craving for similar podcasts. Any recommendations? (I use podcast addict on my samsung)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I've just finished The Nobody Zone. I really enjoyed the first three episodes, I was gripped. Sadly though it really fizzled out from that point. I guess that's the nature of true crime but it was a disappointing ending to a promising series.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Currently listening to the Nobody Zone, on the final episode, feel like it may fizzle out and flatter to deceive overall.

Any other recommendations for similar podcasts?
    Had West Cork and Serial (or something like that) mentioned to me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I finished episode three of Nobody Zone tonight. I am enthralled by it. I can see the flaws, and am as disappointed (not sure it's the correct word given the scale of the crimes) as anyone that Geoff was a spoofer, but his whole angle is fascinating as it is. He's like Jay from the Inbetweeners with his high tales.

He was some spoofer all right. I enjoyed the first few episodes but the last episode was just totally unnecessary. Overall I thought it was decent enough but could have been done in 4 eps easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Broken Harts
    Body on the Moor (BBC)
    Criminal Broads
    Death in Ice Valley (this one is AMAZING, highly recommend joining the FB group too)
    Down the hill: The Delphi Murders (also very interesting)
    Lost in Larrimah
    Finding Cleo
    Redhanded
    Sinisterhood
    The dating game killer
    The lighthouse
    To live and Die in LA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm two episodes into "Death in Ice Valley" based on the recommendations in this thread. Really hooked in.

It'll be great to keep my mind engaged on my walks over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I'm two episodes into "Death in Ice Valley" based on the recommendations in this thread. Really hooked in.

Just finished it based on a recommendation here also. It was very good. Their Facebook group has some interesting stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Delighted people seem to enjoy it from my recommendation :)

Currently listening to Bear brook. Interesting and well produced but also frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Could anyone recommend a good Irish based on similar to Trevor Deely or Sophie Tuscan?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Could anyone recommend a good Irish based on similar to Trevor Deely or Sophie Tuscan?

Red Handed did Anna Krigel, Casefile did Graham Dwyer, True Crime Garage did Annie McCarrick and this week Jason Corbett. All Irish linked cases if that’s any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

pc7 wrote: »
    Red Handed did Anna Krigel, Casefile did Graham Dwyer, True Crime Garage did Annie McCarrick and this week Jason Corbett. All Irish linked cases if that’s any help.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

are there any podcasts on Criminal Psychology out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

MENS REA is an Irish true crime podcast - different story each week though as opposed to a series on one crime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

The Trail Went Cold covered Trevor Deely a few years ago now. A good overview in 45minutes.

Advertisement