Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Bill Maher made a video along the same lines a little while back. Shorter and probably more suited to an attack ad. I'd run them both personally.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Doesn't really address the obvious cognitive function decline in Trump, and I mean it isn't like we were dealing with a genius in the first place.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't dump videos here please. This is a discussion forum.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Don't dump videos here please. This is a discussion forum.
    It is as just a response to the video post in the twitter link I quoted. Is it ok to put up the twitter link to videos?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

eagle eye wrote: »
    It is as just a response to the video post in the twitter link I quoted. Is it ok to put up the twitter link to videos?

That's fine but please don't just link a video as the whole post.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think Joe Biden would certainly be more presidential than Trump is. It would be harder not to, to be honest. And I also think Biden would seek to be more of a unifier than Trump. Again, it would be harder not to be.

But on a longer term basis, I don't think Biden is going to do much to quell the movement which gave rise to Trump in the first place, if elected. That whole monster would slither underground and perhaps mutate into something even more terrible, if you can imagine that. If you think Trump is as bad as it could get for an American president to be, well A) they also thought that about George W. Bush, and B) conspiracy theorist radio host, Alex Jones, could decide to run himself one of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

briany wrote: »
    I don't think Biden is going to do much to quell the movement which gave rise to Trump in the first place, if elected.
    Exactly right. The corrupt DNC is much better than the corrupt GOP, but they are both still in thrall to their large corporate and wealthy donors.

Citizens United has destroyed America.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭eire4

serfboard wrote: »
    Exactly right. The corrupt DNC is much better than the corrupt GOP, but they are both still in thrall to their large corporate and wealthy donors.

Citizens United has destroyed America.

Sadly everything you wrote there is true. IMHO the US as it currently stands is no longer a democracy but rather an oligarchy at best but dangerously given how powerful their military and security forces are politically one that leans towards authoritarianism currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nearer to a kleptocracy with Trump.

Biden has been accused of sexual assault by a former staffer. She sought the aid of Time's Up legal defence fund but they refused to help her establish an investigation, which is a scandal in itself.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/joe-biden-metoo-times-up/

Here's an excerpt from the interview that she did with Katie Halper.

https://soundcloud.com/katie-halper/joe-bidens-accuser-finally-tells-her-full-story

And here's an interview that she did with The Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmVUQ7ii3_4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Watching the Hillary doc from Hulu, its quite clear the Dems are making the same mistakes this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Biden has been accused of sexual assault by a former staffer. She sought the aid of Time's Up legal defence fund but they refused to help her establish an investigation, which is a scandal in itself.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/joe-biden-metoo-times-up/

Here's an excerpt from the interview that she did with Katie Halper.

https://soundcloud.com/katie-halper/joe-bidens-accuser-finally-tells-her-full-story

And here's an interview that she did with The Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmVUQ7ii3_4

This is it. I always thing the left and anyone looking for votes from people with principles, is at a disadvantage. Trump fans are Trump fans because they can ignore all the terrible things he has done - or don't care if he did them or maybe even admire him for doing them. I think the "grab them by the pussy" attitude should be enough to make a candidate inviable. But if you appeal to people without principles, then you can get away with that. I think if Joe expressed the same "grab them by the pussy" attitude, he'd be dead in the water.

Accusations are not proof and I never believe anything just because an accusation was made. But accusations like this should be investigated. And the investigation alone would be enough to sink Biden's candidacy. Trump on the other hand is appealing to people who don't seem to care if the accusations against him are true or not.

Wasn't there ten or so women that came forward as regards inappropriate touching and such from Biden?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Trump on the other hand is appealing to people who don't seem to care if the accusations against him are true or not.
    We have politicians here that are like that too. Think of Michael Lowry, for example. A single rendition of "them above in Dublin" on your violin (along with a planning permission here, a medical card there), and all is forgiven ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Wasn't there ten or so women that came forward as regards inappropriate touching and such from Biden?

Was there? Do you have any proof of that?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Nal wrote: »
    Watching the Hillary doc from Hulu, its quite clear the Dems are making the same mistakes this time around.

It's not really a mistake from the DNC's point of view. Above all, they do not want someone like Bernie Sanders. They'd rather another term of Trump than that. It's either a corporate democrat or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

briany wrote: »
    It's not really a mistake from the DNC's point of view. Above all, they do not want someone like Bernie Sanders. They'd rather another term of Trump than that. It's either a corporate democrat or nothing.

DNC gave Bernie advantages in this race that no other candidate had.

You can come up with all the conspiracy theories you want about the DNC but your issue is with Democrat voters and the biggest issue of all is that Bernie simply is a terrible candidate.

Any of you see Cuomo on tv todau? A late push for him with all the exposure he is getting would be a great move. He'd win by landslide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

everlast75 wrote: »
    Plenty of arguments here that Biden has cognitive decline and isn't up to taking on Trump. This video from the daily show turns those arguments on their head.

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1242836333871202305?s=09

Seriously!?, this highly edited clip from the daily show(:rolleyes:) really turns those arguments on their head? I mean if that's the standard your setting then everyone is in cognitive decline with enough editing sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Foxtrol wrote: »
    DNC gave Bernie advantages in this race that no other candidate had.

You can come up with all the conspiracy theories you want about the DNC but your issue is with Democrat voters and the biggest issue of all is that Bernie simply is a terrible candidate.

Care to give some explaination to that conspiracy theory you just posted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Any of you see Cuomo on tv todau? A late push for him with all the exposure he is getting would be a great move. He'd win by landslide.

Only about 1,600 delegates left to win, simply impossible (barring winning like 90% of remaining) for him to finish higher than third considering the delegates Biden and Sanders have already accumulated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Care to give some explaination to that conspiracy theory you just posted?

Just because you weren't aware of it and you bought into the Bernie propaganda doesn't make it a conspiracy theory.

Bernie is the only candidate that was involved in setting the rules for the 2020 primary process. It was part of the DNC trying to appease him post 2016.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/time-bernie-sanders-rigged-system-against-himself-n1144361

He needed to declare about 3 months ago.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In fairness to Cuomo, I'd say he has enough on his plate and is totally focussed on the problem in front of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

If the DNC was clever, they'd try and persuade Romney or Justin Amash to run as a third party candidate and get Bloomberg to fund them where they could hurt Trump. They're thick as **** though, so they won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Only about 1,600 delegates left to win, simply impossible (barring winning like 90% of remaining) for him to finish higher than third considering the delegates Biden and Sanders have already accumulated

Martin Heinrich has my vote!

Martin Heinrich has my vote!

Well here is some of Biden's major gaffes and it's not like the one about Trump which was well edited with background music and all that. And guess what, it's much worse than the Trump one.

And this is Martin Heinrich at the time when for me he became an outstanding candidate for POTUS. This is only a short clip, the whole session was just excellent. He completely schooled Sessions.

Now if you can tell me that you trust that Biden is capable of being the President of the United States of America then I think you are delusional. And just so you know, you have never heard me saying that Trump is a good candidate. I'm simply saying he is more capable than Biden. It's not any sort of credit for Trump, just that Biden is an absolutely awful candidate. Trump is an awful candidate too but unfortunately he seems more capable than Biden.

Heinrich showed he is well capable of doing the job when taking on Sessions. If you read up on him you'll find a lot of great stuff but that video is enough to show me that he is a natural born leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Just because you weren't aware of it and you bought into the Bernie propaganda doesn't make it a conspiracy theory.

Bernie is the only candidate that was involved in setting the rules for the 2020 primary process. It was part of the DNC trying to appease him post 2016.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/time-bernie-sanders-rigged-system-against-himself-n1144361

Did you even read the article fully or did you just notice the title and decide it was good enough for you? In fact it, it looks like the editor didn't read it either judging by the mixed messaging and distinct lack of sources for certain claims. Here's some extracts that undermine the author's own point.

"Members of the commission have said that they didn't anticipate a scenario in which several Democratic candidates would be positioned to accumulate significant numbers of delegates, but leaving a front-runner well short of a majority heading into the convention."

Kind of important eh? Leaving aside the lack of named sources, having a plurality of delegates rather than a majority would make the most sense given the crowded field at the time this piece was written wouldn't you say?

"They succeeded, against stiff opposition from party leaders, in eliminating superdelegates — a pool of Democratic officials who could once cast votes at the convention for any candidate of their choosing — from the first round of balloting"

Smart politics by Sanders, not "rigging" by any means. In the 2016 primary Superdelegates actively went against Sanders in certain states he had won. Case in point, Indiana. Sanders won 44-39 against Clinton as per the popular vote YET Clinton received all 7 superdelegates and Bernie got none. So despite winning the popular vote by 4% he received 2 less delegates total.

Now if you want to talk about rigged systems, there you go. Explain that to me please Foxtrol. Why would Sanders want superdelegates deciding that the popular vote was not enough in certain states? Is it "rigging" a system to stop an already rigged system from voting AGAINST the intentions of the general population?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I tend to watch Governor Cuomo's press conference every day as it's nice to listen to someone that's competent , doesnt treat the conference as his propaganda conference and generally knows what he's doing

A very impressive politician

• Advertisement

Well here is some of Biden's major gaffes and it's not like the one about Trump which was well edited with background music and all that. And guess what, it's much worse than the Trump one.

And this is Martin Heinrich at the time when for me he became an outstanding candidate for POTUS. This is only a short clip, the whole session was just excellent. He completely schooled Sessions.

Now if you can tell me that you trust that Biden is capable of being the President of the United States of America then I think you are delusional. And just so you know, you have never heard me saying that Trump is a good candidate. I'm simply saying he is more capable than Biden. It's not any sort of credit for Trump, just that Biden is an absolutely awful candidate. Trump is an awful candidate too but unfortunately he seems more capable than Biden.

Heinrich showed he is well capable of doing the job when taking on Sessions. If you read up on him you'll find a lot of great stuff but that video is enough to show me that he is a natural born leader.

You seem to be determined to ignore the reality of the situation. Henrich could have run, but didn't. Of the available candidates, Biden has won more state delegates than anyone else.

Barring a major upset, it'll be Biden v Trump. Talk of anything else is delusional. Even if Biden drops dead, Heinrich won't get the support to run.

Biden is far more able and qualified to be president than Trump. It's delusional to think otherwise.

they/them/theirs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement