Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I used drive4fun.info in faro this summer. Half the price of everyone else and no problems at all. The best service I've had in 20 years of driving.
    I did 2000km

http://www.zitautorentacar.co.uk/at Faro are also cheap as chips and they take cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭donalh087

Autoeurope clearly state that their insurance / excess cover is organised separate from the rental company so I'd not call it sneaky.

Actually they don't state it anywhere, It took me 3 emails to find out. I find the whole process quite unclear (I only rent a car once a year).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I used drive4fun.info in faro this summer. Half the price of everyone else and no problems at all. The best service I've had in 20 years of driving.
    I did 2000km

+1 to this. I got a brand new Clio with 1000kms on the clock and integrated Sat Nav for half the price of the bigger companies. Really nice staff also who emphasised their desire to get me on the road with the minimal paperwork and no upselling or sneaky stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭shovel

well, dealing with niche bargains on cars that arent open to the general public, if you are an ADAC member as many in Ireland are (german version of AA - as its a value way of getting breakdown cover on older cars and camper vans) their deals more or less match the price that you get direct from the rental company themselves BUT include an extra driver and full insurance with zero excess as part of the price. If renting for 10 days for example, thats a saving of €300+

when you are travelling as a couple/ family, its very practical to have an extra driver and a nice safety net to not care about any damage in the slightest. Indeed theres external excess cover you can buy, but theres work involved in claiming that back and a chance the insurance company will play silly bugger and just not pay, but having the proper super-cover is great

(NOTE: I've rented over a dozen times without the super cover insurance and without excess insurance, so I am more than prepared to go for a super cheap deal and risk taking a hit on the excess if it makes sense at the time for that circumstance , and I am confident that the car wont get a bash)

Thanks for the above post.I am an adac member and have checked the website for car hire.as its in german, I was wondering if the additional driver and full insurance was standard on all their offers with the different car hire companies.

Any further info would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

shovel wrote: »
    Thanks for the above post.I am an adac member and have checked the website for car hire.as its in german, I was wondering if the additional driver and full insurance was standard on all their offers with the different car hire companies.

Any further info would be great
    firstly, google translate can translate on the fly.

But otherwise, if you see a mention of kilometres it likely means theres only a certain amount of km included.
    If you see a € figure mentioned, then its likely an excess "Selbsbeteiligung"
    I think the extra driver is always included, sometimes only 1, with hertz normally unlimited in number.

Ive an upcoming reservation and when I was looking, every avis and sixt price had an excess, with hertz there was cheaper prices with excess/ kilometre limit and slightly higher without excess or km limit.

but as i said, if you view the website through google translate then you can use it as if it was in english in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just including a link to a similar thread over in the Motor forum on 'Car Rental Experiences' right here.

Some info there might assist people here.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi, off to Cuba in a couple of days as independent travellers and neglected to hire a car till now. My goodness but prices have shot up. The only reasonable one was Cuba carhire but the insurance details are sketchy. Would we be ok to land in Havana and hire one without having reserved one? Any suggestions? Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Anyone know why renting a car in Northern Ireland is so much cheaper than in ROI. Been comparing for a while and same class of cars are on average more than 50% cheaper in the north?

What's the catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

rightyabe wrote: »
    Anyone know why renting a car in Northern Ireland is so much cheaper than in ROI. Been comparing for a while and same class of cars are on average more than 50% cheaper in the north?

What's the catch?

The catch is do you need a rental car in the north or the republic? Different prices in different countries. You might as well ask why is south of Spain and north of Norway not the same price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

The catch is do you need a rental car in the north or the republic? Different prices in different countries. You might as well ask why is south of Spain and north of Norway not the same price?
    Not necessarily true. If a person is planning a tour of Ireland and can opt to start in Dublin or Belfast (only 100km apart), the cost of car hire could be a big factor in the decision. Given she (I'm guessing female) has a location of WA, 100km is SFA in terms of starting points. Some Aussies I know would travel that distance for a night out without blinking.

• Advertisement

i did a search for a week in December with Hertz and it comes out exactly the same, €145, hiring in Belfast Aldergrove or Dublin airport for an astra/ golf.
    Anyone I know who has rented in Northern Ireland over the years would actually say that its more expensive up there than the south.
    Maybe for the dates and rental period you are looking at theres more demand in the south than the north.

Over christmas for a fortnights rental there is a noticable difference, its 590 Euro in the north vs 790 euro in the south but thats most likely just a supply and demand thing. Maybe down long distance flights into Dublin from Europe or USA or middle east/ asia, where families arriving will need a car, whereas Belfast pretty much only has UK flights and any families might choose to just take the ferry and drive rather than take the plane.
    You might also have more demand out of Dublin for cars at Christmas where people arriving need to get to far flung corners of the island to their parents one off house in the middle of nowhere with no public transport, whereas in Northern Ireland the planning system is a little more advanced and favours sustainable urban development with comparatively good public transport meaning its easier to function without a car up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

@whomitconcerns
    Didn't ask for a geography lesson mate. Ireland is a small country. A short distance between Derry and Letterkenny but the price difference I got is astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Well as regards other factors, lower taxes, bigger pool of cars possibly, different vat rates, different insurance costs, currency rates, etc.

I did look at this myself a while ago, and as another poster said, when's all said and done prices can be a lot closer normally. I went to hire a car recently to drive from Belfast to Leitrim was costing me 50 for the day. From knock it cost me 39 . Sale on the flights meant knock was far cheaper for flights as it happened also..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robotron1000

Hi guys,
    I'm coming to Ireland in a couple of weeks and will hire a car. Last time I was there we rented online via Europcar. When we came to pick up the car a bunch of additional fees awaited for us.

This time I decided to check their website again and was pleased with the price they offered on a mini car (Ford Ka). After booking, I got an email from them telling a different story (deposits, reserved funds and so on...). They also require me to have a valid (and major) credit card, which I don't have - I only have a VISA debit card.

Too cut a long story short: what other car rental companies exist in Dublin (city, not airport) that are flexible and won't consider me not having a credit card to be a showstopper? I tried googling, but a lot of fluff comes up - or my googling skills are not as good as I thought they are :)
    Anyway, thanks for your answers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Unfortunately, there are no cheap hire cars that I know of in Ireland. Insurance is the killer.

All the major companies are here - Avis Hertz Budget... Normally Europcar is the cheap one.

Your Visa debit should work as long as you have funds in the account to cover the deposit.

Steve wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there are no cheap hire cars that I know of in Ireland. Insurance is the killer.
    <snip>
    I got some savage deals from Enterprise over the years and even next weekend you could rent a fiesta from them in Cork for €14 per day or an Astra or Insignia for <€20, which is not a lot of cash to be honest.

If you want full insurance then that really bumps it up, but if you are happy with the excess and/ or have an excess insurance policy, then its a bargain. Enterprise are very fair with their damage policy and a small dent or chip only counts as wear and tear, you have to have damage bigger than roughly a golf ball to get stung, so a proper crash or proper negligence.

At christmas prices go bonkers, but high prices when theres high demand is just economics.

Honestly, I'd pay a bit more, just as long as they accept Visa Inspire/Visa Electron debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Steve wrote: »

All the major companies are here - Avis Hertz Budget... Normally Europcar is the cheap one.

Your Visa debit should work as long as you have funds in the account to cover the deposit.

Ireland's the cheapest country I've used for Car Rental.

I just use a broker like Autoeurope and have used all of them, Hertz, Europcar, Thirfy, also used Sixt via our Corporate Benefits site.

It's usually half the price renting in Ireland at Cork or Dublin compared to most German cities I've rented in.

Airport location is usually cheaper than City Location, there's a big price difference between Dusseldorf City Locations and Dusseldorf Airport for example.

Amsterdam is the priciest I've found.

I just took a yearly policy for the excess insurance.

The company (Hertz/Europcar/Sixt) doesn't really have any bearing on the service imo as it's usually completely separate and just branding.

E.G. Sixt in the UK my colleagues have nothing but complaints but Sixt in Germany they have top quality cars with low mileage and zero damage.

Cheapest I paid in Ireland was 9 euros / day, most expensive was 18 euros per day but that's because I splashed out on full size.

Honestly, I'd pay a bit more, just as long as they accept Visa Inspire/Visa Electron debit cards.
    well, you're limiting yourself there by not having a normal credit card.
    You will need to pay all deposits up front when renting and take all super insurances.
    I've a friend who only had a debit card and did manage to rent from Dublin. I cant remember which one he said was ok, but hertz do seem to allow debit cards.

Honestly, I never had any need for one up until now. Maybe they'll let me rent a bike without all the world credit card & banking infrastructure supporting the transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can anyone recommend a car hire company in Tenerife?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

They're all pretty much the same to be honest. I've used Sixt and they were fine, although their location is off airport but they collect you and take you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I use plus car tenerife. I have had mercedes vito mini bus things twice. Had a few scratches, but laid back, service was good and the price was right.

They are off airport but bring it to you in the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Can anyone recommend a car hire company in Tenerife?
    Thanks

I have used Las Rosas in Gigantes who offer an airport service. Economical and reasonsble cars.

Avoid Goldcar and TJ Rentacar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Cabrera Medina or cicar, both the same company really, have used them on Lanzarote & Fuerteventura, you can pay in cash on arrival so no card needed, all insurance is included, if you are staying in a hotel they will deliver it if you want, just leave keys with hotel reception on your last day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cabrera Medina or cicar, both the same company really, have used them on Lanzarote & Fuerteventura, you can pay in cash on arrival so no card needed, all insurance is included, if you are staying in a hotel they will deliver it if you want, just leave keys with hotel reception on your last day

Thanks, will check them out.
    It's cheaper to get a car for the week than book a hotel transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Oxter wrote: »
    I have used Las Rosas in Gigantes who offer an airport service. Economical and reasonsble cars.

Avoid Goldcar and TJ Rentacar.

+1 on avoiding Goldcar. Shower of shysters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Autoreisen at the south airport are usually best. I lived there for a year and a half and rented cars from time to time.

Dan Dooley

They were willing to accept only a debit card. I had to take an insurance with them, but I would've done that anyhow (500 ). Even though looking at the card history, it seems more like 400 . Still waiting for the deposit to be returned, they said it might take a couple of days. Seeing as its weekend I don't expect it for a couple of days more.
    I booked a Compact and got a Skoda Octavia with a very basic package (e.g. no A/C). On the other hand it was a diesel and if I remember correctly, diesels are usually charged extra, so I'm happy there.
    I got a car with a full tank - the company policy is to return the car empty (they'll refund any gas that's left), but I didn't want to test their rates on that so I returned an empty car.
    I took all the insurances they had, so I'm not expecting any surprises there, but you never know.
    Anyway, all went ok.
    If they mess up with the deposit or charge me for some nonsense I'll be back with an update, otherwise its thumbs up from me.
    P.s. Always email them before you decide on renting, and tell which specific card you have. I noticed most companies don't even consider Visa Electron to be a debit card, while Visa Inspire is considered one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 jamesdeanjames

MalagaCarHire.com are a top class company. They run a shuttle from the airport which takes about 60 seconds. It's actually walkable if you want but busy roads. It's not a zoo like the rental area of the airport either. Very reputable and good value. I'll stick with them from now on.

Advertisement