Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improving/Learning to swim

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Unsure if this is the right place but mods feel free to move this if needed...

I have a couple of questions regarding swimming.
    Do folk wear swim socks?total beginner i am with dodgy feet from psosrsis,visually,nothing contagious!!!
    Also regarding body hair,do folk have a skit at others?or should i shave as much off me back altogether?
    Silly questions!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

dahat wrote: »
    Unsure if this is the right place but mods feel free to move this if needed...

I have a couple of questions regarding swimming.
    Do folk wear swim socks?total beginner i am with dodgy feet from psosrsis,visually,nothing contagious!!!
    Also regarding body hair,do folk have a skit at others?or should i shave as much off me back altogether?
    Silly questions!!!!

Silly questions indeed....don't even think about shaving anything, no one will be looking at you...wear socks if it makes you feel more at ease...Enjoy the swimming...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

At 27 now, I would really love to be able to swim. I did a few lessons when I was 12-13 in a group but never mastered it. I am fine if I can hold onto a floating object but that's it.

I can't even walk inside the Pool at the moment, I have developed a massive fear of water. Hoping to start swimming lessons in 2 weeks 1-2-1. My fear is bigger now than at a younger age. I would pay anything if I was able to swim at the end of it. What can I expect now in my first lesson 1-2-1 with an instructor?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

What I teach on my first lesson with beginners is floating, board work, and putting the pupils face in the water.

But you sound quite scared so I would take it much slower, and work just on getting comfortable in the water and putting your face in the water, and floating.

lorcan122 wrote: »
    What I teach on my first lesson with beginners is floating, board work, and putting the pupils face in the water.

But you sound quite scared so I would take it much slower, and work just on getting comfortable in the water and putting your face in the water, and floating.

My first lesson is tomorrow. Im facing my fears at last. Along with my fear of snakes, water is my number 2 fear. But i am going to put big effort into this. In not giving up until I can do it, even if it takes me months,years or decades. Knowing me it will take me longer. I hope to god i will be able to swim in a few months though. That would be my aim. Nervous as hell now though.

teednab-el wrote: »
    lorcan122 wrote: »

My first lesson is tomorrow. Im facing my fears at last. Along with my fear of snakes, water is my number 2 fear. But i am going to put big effort into this. In not giving up until I can do it, even if it takes me months,years or decades. Knowing me it will take me longer. I hope to god i will be able to swim in a
    few months though. That would be my aim. Nervous as hell now though.

Without the intention of sounding harsh,This is got to be one of the least helpful forums on boards. Only for Lorcan122 replying and thanks Lorcan btw I would have thought this forum was dead or something.Thought there would be swimmers on here offering support and advice to people such as myself learning to swim from a beginner stage. Thanks anyway guys. A great and helpful bunch you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Does anyone know of an instructor that gives one-on-one lessons at Terenure College pool?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hi all,
    Im 31 and never been able to swim. I have a huge fear of water (more so water on my face/not being able to breath). I will get into pools, but basically walk around with my head out of the water. I cant put my head under a shower because I panic, so I have to wash my hair separately (so the water doesn’t go on my face). I am hoping to take up swimming very soon (in Dublin), and can anyone give me any pointers on how I can overcome this fear, or where/who would be a good place to be taught? On a secondary note, I will need to get ear plugs, as I am not meant to get water in my ears (medical reasons). What would be the best ear plugs to get?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DR_HOUSE

Probably this is a psychological problem and you might need some therapy to overcome fear. Probably a good instructor can help you with this, but it is mainly up to you and how much you want to get over this barrier. Maybe you should practice first on your own, splashing some water on your face. Don't force yourself and take your time as this things won't go away so easily! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

DR_HOUSE wrote: »
    Probably this is a psychological problem and you might need some therapy to overcome fear. Probably a good instructor can help you with this, but it is mainly up to you and how much you want to get over this barrier. Maybe you should practice first on your own, splashing some water on your face. Don't force yourself and take your time as this things won't go away so easily! Good luck!

This is good advice! I've worked with people that have a huge fear of water in the past with success (& a couple of failures. it's quite common)but over a long period of time I honestly believe & told them they needed & would be better off speaking to a psychiatrist about it beforehand! None of them ever did but I really believe you'd take alot of time & heartache off of your learning experience if you spoke to someone!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for the advice. I have let it build up into a huge fear now at this stage. Im thinking of getting goggles and ear plugs and start by trying to immerse myself under a shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

antodeco wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I have let it build up into a huge fear now at this stage. Im thinking of getting goggles and ear plugs and start by trying to immerse myself under a shower.

Its all in the mind. I was the same as you last year. I was afraid of water but eventually overcame the fear. Now i wonder what all the fuss was. Go outside your comfort zone and go for it. It will take time but you WILL overcome it if you really want to. Trust me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

Hi,

Anybody recommend 1 to 1 classes, i am based in glasnevin but willing to travel within reason, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Hello!

Im 22 and started back swimming after a 12 year break :o

I used to be a very confident and ok swimmer but i am finding it very hard to get back into the swing of things. I am having problems with my breathing and what i do with my legs. I seem to kick too strong with my legs but if i go weaker i pretty much dont go anywhere and it just seems to be my arms that are pulling me along. I have gone 3 times in the last week and i would love to improve.

So i just have a stupid question....what do you do with your legs?! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

Hi there,

Is there anywhere that would give the likes of a certificate of competency or something along those lines?

I am a confident swimmer in that I am comfortable in water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Pixie not a swim instructor but a reasonable swimmer, I only push hard with legs if over taking main issue with peoples legs is hanging down too low and causing drag, i only light flutter kick to keep them high. Use a pull bouy to see what i mean. Fiver dont know but pretty sure swim ireland have different levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tony Chelsea

Clseeper where do you do your lessons? Do you know any instructor who is willing to do lessons in Kilcoole Co. Wicklow. I am desperately trying to source a swimming instructor who would be willing to give lessons in Druids Glen resort, Kilcoole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Pixie not a swim instructor but a reasonable swimmer, I only push hard with legs if over taking main issue with peoples legs is hanging down too low and causing drag, i only light flutter kick to keep them high. Use a pull bouy to see what i mean. Fiver dont know but pretty sure swim ireland have different levels.

I figured out my problem, i was kicking way too hard. I kind of flck them now, but im still swimming wrong. I flick my legs but use the frog technique with my arms. Its completely wrong but im trying to do the normal breast stroke.

Ive gone from widths to lengths now. i still have to stop half way for breath. I havent quite figured out how to breathe properly swimming. I literally stop for breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Sorry pixie assumed you were on about Front crawl, on breast stroke you breathe after the arm pull then head down again. Not very good on BS on the surface as I am usually underwater doing mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I figured out my problem, i was kicking way too hard. I kind of flck them now, but im still swimming wrong. I flick my legs but use the frog technique with my arms. Its completely wrong but im trying to do the normal breast stroke.

Ive gone from widths to lengths now. i still have to stop half way for breath. I havent quite figured out how to breathe properly swimming. I literally stop for breath.

To be honest, you need to get lessons. If you are swimming front crawl, you breathe in co-ordination with your stroke i.e. you turn your head in line with your body when 1 arm is outstretched and the other is pushing. An arc is formed the gives you a pocket to breathe. You should be breathing out as your head is 'underwater' and only breath in when you 'take a breath'. In reality, you should be pretty much breathing as normal as opposed to holding your breath and exploding out your breath and grabbing another one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

Just finished my second five week term (one class a week) in my local pool. I think I will look into getting 1on1 coaching now to perfect my technique.
    Anyone know of any swim teachers in the Dundrum/Ballinteer/Stillorgan area??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tommy Target

Looking for beginner lessons in Drogheda area..No fear of water as such ..Tried so many times over the years to learn ..Always broke too much water while trying & combination of bad instructor didn't help

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Hey
    Anybody know instructor for beginners 1 on 1 Blanchardstown area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Anyone know an instructor in the D6 / D6W area?

I have been contacting Swanleisure for the last month without any help despite the "someone will be on to you shortly" messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Where would I go to get a lesson with a proper swimming instructor?

My current swim teacher is a general gym trainer and has been telling me to do some things the opposite of what my friend's teacher is telling him. I would like to get a lesson with a real swimmer for some pointers as Im working daily on my technique and don't want to pick up bad habits.

Any advice? I can go anywhere in Dublin or anywhere between Dublin and Kilkenny more or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

I would pop into a local triathlon store and I am sure someone there would be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jmmj

Great videos on utube just consentrate on the basics and practice 3 times a week best tip I ever got was to make myself as long as possible in the water hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

At the moment I'm practiving for a few weeks before I get another lesson. I'm just concentrating on my kick and adding in my arms occasionally, but I have a question with regards to the front crawl...

Do you actually close your mouth underwater or do you sort of leave it open so you can just turn your head up and catch a breath? The breathing part is hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Hi All - was hoping for some advice please?

How important is pool length when learning to swim?

I started learning to swim last year and got to the point where I could do 2 x 20m lengths with front crawl. I haven't been swimming in six months and am looking for an improvers class. I have it narrowed down to two options - both in gyms with popular classes. One pool is 18m and is close to my house. The other is 25m and is an extra 10 minutes away. Should I make the effort to go to the 25m pool? Would I get more benefit by having a longer distance to get into my stroke?

What pool did you learn to swim. I going starting to learn shortly looking for place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I got private lessons when I started out. Whereabouts are you based? Oakgrove leisure centre has been recommended to me in Cork, but I reckon you could start just about anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Pool length won't make any difference whatsoever, unless you are trying to shave 10ths of a second off your time.

I learned in a combination of lakes during the summer, and a 25 yard pool during the winter/school year.

From a point of view of technique, it makes no difference, the strokes are the same.
    If you are practicing turns, then obviously a shorter pool will be more intense. IF you are training for triathlon, then a longer pool can be more advantageous from the aspect of straight lines, stroke length, efficiency etc. But there is no advantage to learning to swim in a 50m pool.

If you are at the stage where you ares starting to build sets (swimming multiple 100m, 200m in a session, and using a pace clock,) then I would make the effort to go for a 25 or 50m pool, outside of that, it's not essential.

I'm a complete beginner here and have been looking at swimming lessons for a long while but I think it's time I went ahead and did it.

The problem is, I'm completely petrified of water. I had an accident in a swimming pool when I was 8 and had to be taken out of the pool. It wasn't until a villa holiday about a year and a half ago that I got into water again and there was no way I was lifting my feet or putting my head under. I'm 29 now.

What would you suggest for someone like myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm a complete beginner here and have been looking at swimming lessons for a long while but I think it's time I went ahead and did it.

The problem is, I'm completely petrified of water. I had an accident in a swimming pool when I was 8 and had to be taken out of the pool. It wasn't until a villa holiday about a year and a half ago that I got into water again and there was no way I was lifting my feet or putting my head under. I'm 29 now.

What would you suggest for someone like myself?

If you are anywhere near the national aquatic centre in Dublin they have a class for nervous adults and also have a few fantastic teachers who do private lessons with nervous people

If you're not near the aquatic centre, contact your local pool and see if they have teachers who offer private lessons. Then go down and talk to the teachers before you start

If you are anywhere near the national aquatic centre in Dublin they have a class for nervous adults and also have a few fantastic teachers who do private lessons with nervous people

If you're not near the aquatic centre, contact your local pool and see if they have teachers who offer private lessons. Then go down and talk to the teachers before you start
    Thanks. I'm in Fairview but wouldn't have any problem going to the NAC. I'll check it out. :)

Karsini wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm in Fairview but wouldn't have any problem going to the NAC. I'll check it out. :)

There are probably some good teachers in westwood clontarf too if the NAC doesn't work out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Hi there, my son is 9 and doing lessons at the moment. He is currently on level 13. I would love him to swim competitivley. His teacher said he would have to give up his football if he wanted to join a club ( they don't coincide).

Hi there, my son is 9 and doing lessons at the moment. He is currently on level 13. I would love him to swim competitivley. His teacher said he would have to give up his football if he wanted to join a club ( they don't coincide).

At 9 he would be able to do both - though a lot of swimming clubs have sessions on saturday mornings so there could be clashes. The best thing to do is talk to the coaches of the club he wants to join and see what compromise they can come to. There will come a time when he will have to choose one over the other though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

At 9 he would be able to do both - though a lot of swimming clubs have sessions on saturday mornings so there could be clashes. The best thing to do is talk to the coaches of the club he wants to join and see what compromise they can come to. There will come a time when he will have to choose one over the other though
    ok thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Hi all,

I took up swimming today (in my gym, 3x lanes and 1x open area) after a number of years without it (I used to swim a lot when I was a kid, competed etc.

I have completely forgotten how to swim properly. I feel comfortable in the water but I can't tread water or swim in a straight line, the usual I imagine.

My general cardiovascular fitness is very good but not when it comes to swimming, limited to half lengths using the breaststroke when I started today. I'm looking to progress step by step and work up to doing lengths.
      When using the breaststroke how many strokes should I be doing per breath?
        When I breath out it's normal but my breath in is short and after 6 or 7 cycles I have to stope because I am not getting enough air with each breath. Is there a specific method of breathing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Not sure if this is the right thread but I just wanted advice on improving my swimming.
        I've recently taken it up again after many years. Now I'd say my technique is OK but I'm struggling trying to get the breathing right. Basically having to stop because I'm not getting the inhalation right.
        I'm aware of the theory.
        Breathe out underwater and continue while turning the head then inhale; one goggle in the water; inhale bilaterally ideally; turn body and head; keep the hips up so the head is level; etc.
        Gleaned mostly from expert swimmers on YouTube.
        But I'm having difficulty putting it into practice.
        Is it normal when starting out to have difficulty with breathing.

Any drills I could do.
        I have wondered about "quietening" down my arm movement for now and just concentrating on getting my hips up and practising turning my body and head.
        Any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 digestive biscuits

Hi all,

I'm interested in adult swimming lessons in Dublin City Centre. I can already do backstroke, front crawl and tread water. I want to learn freestyle, but don't currently put my head under the water (scared). Can somebody recommend a swim instructor for 1:1? I'd be grateful. I'm thinking of the Markievich pool.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Not sure if this is the right thread but I just wanted advice on improving my swimming.
        I've recently taken it up again after many years. Now I'd say my technique is OK but I'm struggling trying to get the breathing right. Basically having to stop because I'm not getting the inhalation right.
        I'm aware of the theory.
        Breathe out underwater and continue while turning the head then inhale; one goggle in the water; inhale bilaterally ideally; turn body and head; keep the hips up so the head is level; etc.
        Gleaned mostly from expert swimmers on YouTube.
        But I'm having difficulty putting it into practice.
        Is it normal when starting out to have difficulty with breathing.

Any drills I could do.
        I have wondered about "quietening" down my arm movement for now and just concentrating on getting my hips up and practising turning my body and head.
        Any advice.

I'm in the same boat - I am fairly fit and my general stroke is OK, however my breathing is terrible. I usually end up swallowing a bit of water and then my stroke goes off and I end up flapping everywhere and have to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

hadoken13 wrote: »
        I'm in the same boat - I am fairly fit and my general stroke is OK, however my breathing is terrible. I usually end up swallowing a bit of water and then my stroke goes off and I end up flapping everywhere and have to give up.

I was in the same boat too and still am when I don't swim for a while. What worked for me is to slow down. I used to just swim hell for leather but like that couldn't breathe enough. So I just slowed down and built up speed. Find a speed that you can breathe properly and it will all come together!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

breadbin wrote: »
        I was in the same boat too and still am when I don't swim for a while. What worked for me is to slow down. I used to just swim hell for leather but like that couldn't breathe enough. So I just slowed down and built up speed. Find a speed that you can breathe properly and it will all come together!

Ye I'll do that next time I'm out - I do try to take it slow, but I don't swim that often so maybe I need to just keep at it.

• Advertisement

Well I've finally got the ball rolling. Had my first one-to-one lesson in the Mespil pool on Wednesday evening. I wasn't sure how I did at the time but thinking back, I got my head under and was able to lunge forward and float. Couldn't really move much and the instructor was telling me I was breathing through my nose.

I tried again today on my own in my gym, first time I ever used the pool there. I could see that the breathing was an issue because I couldn't stay under again. If I plugged my nose, I could go under just fine though. When I got home I looked online for breathing techniques and I think I might have found something that works for me, so I'll try again in my next lesson on Tuesday.

I think I'm doing okay, considering that I hadn't been in a pool at all for 20 years, and then only once after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 littlebuddy84

Great thread. I start swimming lessons on Friday, I'm terrified.

Where you learning littlebuddy? Im looking for a place close to Blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 29 littlebuddy84

Murphyj7 in the whitford hotel in wexford.

Murphj7 wrote: »
        Where you learning littlebuddy? Im looking for a place close to Blanchardstown

National Aquatic Centre?

• Advertisement
      Advertisement