Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Colleague talking shoes and socks off at desk

Options
  • 09-12-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

My Work Colleague takes her shoes and socks off at her desk and walks around the office barefoot . she then has her legs stretched out and her feet under my desk .. i think this is gross .. whats the best way to handle this ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

"Accidentally" break her toe. Wont be long about not wearing shoes again

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

My Work Colleague takes her shoes and socks off at her desk and walks around the office barefoot . she then has her legs stretched out and her feet under my desk .. i think this is gross .. whats the best way to handle this ...

Creep in under the desk and administer a foot rub.

Although if she likes it, you'll never get those socks back on again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Have your lunch, a jam sandwich (remember them?) at your desk and accidentally drop jam into her shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I suggest you try and relax about it. It's unusual, not gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

Diziet wrote: »

To take your shoes and socks off in work and walk around barefoot in an office of 100 people ?
    and then sit with your feet under someones desk is not gross ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

To take your shoes and socks off in work and walk around barefoot in an office of 100 people ?
    what is wrong with her feet? Is it the bareness itself or do they smell or what about them bothers you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

It's pretty gross and I have had one that does it near me occasionally. I just give a dirty look, like a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Mine the surrounded floor area with thumb tacks.

Or ask HR to send around an e-mail to everyone about wearing footwear.
    I used to work with a guy who changed into slippers around the office, that might be a suggestion to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I work with a woman who wears flipflops around the office even in this weather and bare legs which are often hairy. It is unbelievable. No idea how to tackle it bar maybe having a word with your manager.
    I would have thought for health & safety reasons she would be required to wear footwear. What is she stood on a plug or dropped a file on her toe or somebody accidentally stood on her or she dropped hot coffee on her exposed feet for example? Maybe take that angle and yes, it is the epitome of gross!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm usually in just socks for the first hour in the mornings, however I'm only in with 7 others. I mentioned it a few times but nobody has an issue.

Barefoot is a bit mad though tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'd be more worried that you think the shoes and socks are talking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Or ask HR to send around an e-mail to everyone about wearing footwear.

This would be my suggestion, although people like her, who seem completely unaware of appropriateness in the workplace, still don't usually take the hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Worked with someone who would do this, she would tuck her knees up to her chest and curl her toes around the edge of the desk - i hate feet, my feet, your feet, her feet.....anyones feet!!!!

Anyway, i discreetly asked management to send an email around telling people that for health and safety reasons, they must have shoes on their feet and that was the end of that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bare, non-smelly feet would be preferable to sweaty tights toe smell I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Your'd hate New Zealand...The locals there go everywhere without footwear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

Madness, she could step on LEGO or anything and injure herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Your'd hate New Zealand...The locals there go everywhere without footwear

It's not New Zealand though.

Its inappropriate for work, end of, talk to hr or your direct supervisor, discreetness is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

petes wrote: »
    It's not New Zealand though.

Its inappropriate for work, and of, talk to hr or you direct supervisor, discreetness is key.

I know a couple of Kiwi's who often walked around barefooted here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

By asking her to put her shoes and socks on.

Diziet wrote: »

100% wrong. It's gross.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Bare, non-smelly feet would be preferable to sweaty tights toe smell I think.

Uuurghh just vomited in my mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

lawred2 wrote: »
    100% wrong. It's gross.

Not so sure that it is as simple as that.

HR might have an issue in terms of the increased likelihood that she might injure her self at work, stepping on something, or slipping on a non-carpeted area.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lawred2 wrote: »
    By asking her to put her shoes and socks on.

And she'll say "who made you God?"

If there's a real safety or customer perception issue, then go to HR. Otherwise, get yourself some body counselling and get over it: feet are a good deal less gross than noses or mouths and we don't insist that they're covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭wassie

Porklife wrote: »
    I work with a woman who wears flipflops around the office even in this weather and bare legs which are often hairy. It is unbelievable.

You need to shut that down quick smart. Next thing you know she'll be demanding equal pay.....:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Don't ever take a job here in Switzerland, it is very common, especially in the summer you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in the office wearing shoes. In the winter some go around in socks or slippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭bmc58

Is she a "Fergie" type?

And she'll say "who made up God?"

If there's a real safety or customer perception issue, then go to HR. Otherwise, get yourself some body counselling and get over it: feet are a good deal less gross than noses or mouths and we don't insist that they're covered.

Who made up God!?

Tell management they’re leaving themselves open to a payout if she injures a foot. Won’t be long enforcing footwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

bmc58 wrote: »
    Is she a "Fergie" type?

More Frodo tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

break a glass (somewhere safe ) and put a few bits on the ground pretend someone just broke it and then make sure she sees you clean it up. tell her its too dangerous to walk around like that. if she takes them off the next day pretent to find a piece and say something like , jesus mary you are fierc luck i found this bit of glass you could have injured yourself. . only an itiot would walk around if they thought there was broken glass on the floor.

Advertisement