Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siro/moca in-house coax for faster access points

Options
  • 03-12-2019 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

As we are progressing to fast speeds in the house broadband market and the more and more mesh routers on the market. I was struggling to get a decent speed in my house, AC wifi maxed out at 70 down in some areas.

I looked into moca which a lot of you will be aware will push the ethernet signal back around the coax/virgin cabling and then back into an access points around the house. I used moca 2.0 and so far it's excellent, down I now maxing my AC connection to 450 Mb and I may look at upgrading to 2.5 moca to achieve the full 1gbps.

Power line were used here with some reverting to mesh routers.
    moca is big in the US, how come it has never taken off here? Is it due to low speeds in general or older housing and internal cabling?

All this saved me a problem of trying to run cat 5 as speeds are just as quick with little latency. Price was 70 euro for each ethernet to coax conversion , minimum 2 needed. Just would like to know some enthusiasts opinion.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not a lot of houses have coax run, most NTL/UPC/Virgin installs just put points directly into the house via external cables. And in a lot of cases, the coax that is there might be broken, of bad quality or already used for digital broadband/TV signalling.

Basically lots of caveats. And 140 Euros just to use a cable run that's already there is pretty damm expensive.

In most older houses, it's not the most difficult to run ethernet cabling up the walls. And in newer houses, ethernet throughout should be the default standard.

Mesh wifi is much the same. It's great right up until the house either side of you get a Mesh solution too. Or the multiple apartments around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Understood thanks.

140 euro is expensive ? Surely getting a professional to install cat 5 is at least that before he gets out the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭KildareP

Rafloution wrote: »
    Understood thanks.

140 euro is expensive ? Surely getting a professional to install cat 5 is at least that before he gets out the van.

Better value getting Cat6 cable run than co-ax if you have neither in-situ ;)

Advertisement