Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Holiday to Malia - Worried sick??

Options
  • 03-12-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Hi! My daughter intends to go on a LC Holiday to Malia, Crete next July. I'm really worried. She doesn't drink that much, but I hear Malia has a desperate reputation. She's paying for the holiday herself. Just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation with their 18 year old going to Malia or one such similar destination for LC Holiday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I've not been in this situation but I've been to Malia. She'll be absolutely fine if she keeps her wits about her and is sensible. Malia is as wild or as tame as you want it to be - I wasn't a big drinker when I went (and I wasn't much older than her) and I still had a blast.
    Warn her not to leave her friends or to walk around at night alone and not to take drinks from people she doesn't know, and she should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

My young lad went to Spain after his LC, and has done the lads thing every year thereafter.

No drinking near water.
    Stay away from the local cops.
    Budget !!!!!! LOL
    Don't carry too much cash around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

ebbsy wrote: »
    My young lad went to Spain after his LC, and has done the lads thing every year thereafter.

No drinking near water.
    Stay away from the local cops.
    Budget !!!!!! LOL
    Don't carry too much cash around.

That is spot on advice. I'd add drink plenty of water to that and a pack of motilium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

That is spot on advice. I'd add drink plenty of water to that and a pack of motilium

And a pack of condoms!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    And a pack of condoms!

That goes without saying!

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    And a pack of condoms!

Only one pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

My daughter did Malia after her LC.
    Main 'guidelines' I gave her were;
    No Balconies
    No drinking and swimming
    No getting involved in stupid arguments with anyone - walk away and wake up tomorrow with your life intact.
    (it was actually something I heard Gerry Ryan say one time in relation to assaults, prison etc.)

Oh, and a few messages and calls too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I also got a device to attach my phone to the inside of my handbag for night time safety reasons.

It was basically a pop socket that glued onto the back of the phone, which had a longish stretechy cable attached to it. That cable was attached to a hook that I was able to hook onto the inside pocket of my handbag.

It meant if anyone tried to snatch my phone out of my hand, if I dropped it unbeknownst to me or if it fell out of my bag, I was much more likely to notice because the phone would be literally trailing the floor still atached to the cable.

I got mine on amazon, they're worth getting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

My daughter did Malia after her LC.
    Main 'guidelines' I gave her were;
    No Balconies
    No drinking and swimming
    No getting involved in stupid arguments with anyone - walk away and wake up tomorrow with your life intact.
    (it was actually something I heard Gerry Ryan say one time in relation to assaults, prison etc.)

Oh, and a few messages and calls too!

This is great advice. I'd add only drink what you or your friends get at the bar, and be careful at all times crossing roads. Drink + cars coming the "wrong" way = trouble.

Advertisement