Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - Round 21 - Abu Dhabi

• 29-11-2019 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭

FInal round of the season

First session - ended with Vettel crash. Bottas on top
    Second session - 13:00
    Quali - Saturday 13:00
    Race - Sunday 13:10

EKiK3MCX0AAXk0I?format=jpg&name=small

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Williams have Sirotkin on standby to cover for Russell, who is apparently unwell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Lewis drove the session with the number 1 on the car. He's going to revert to the usual 44 for the rest of the week end.

I absolutely despise the "driver-bound" (read: merchandising dream) numbering system; There should always be a number 1 car on the grid unless the WDC retires. Also, I'd really love for numbers to be permanently assignet to teams, not driver - as they have history. Ferrari running 27 and 28, McLaren with 7 and 8, Williams 5 and 6, Mercedes would inherit 3 and 4 from the Tyrrell team they are the remnants of, Renault 14 and 15, Alfa 22 and 23 and so on. Team running the WDC takes 1 and 2 and their "normal" numbers take a break for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

skipper_G wrote: »
    Williams have Sirotkin on standby to cover for Russell, who is apparently unwell

Would have thought Ocon but guess he has moved to Renault this week (running for them in the Pirelli tests).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Lewis drove the session with the number 1 on the car. He's going to revert to the usual 44 for the rest of the week end.

I absolutely despise the "driver-bound" (read: merchandising dream) numbering system; There should always be a number 1 car on the grid unless the WDC retires. Also, I'd really love for numbers to be permanently assignet to teams, not driver - as they have history. Ferrari running 27 and 28, McLaren with 7 and 8, Williams 5 and 6, Mercedes would inherit 3 and 4 from the Tyrrell team they are the remnants of, Renault 14 and 15, Alfa 22 and 23 and so on. Team running the WDC takes 1 and 2 and their "normal" numbers take a break for the season.

Not necessarily a bad idea but it wouldn't be any less a 'merchandising dream' then the current situation.
    The shirts and other merch would just put a driver name with the number anyway.
    So instead of a Mercedes t-shirt with 'Hamilton 44' or just '44' you'll just have a shirt that says 'Hamilton 1' or '1'.
    Even if that number doesn't change for a few years the merch changes a small bit every year anyway and like football shirts most fans want the newest and 'best' version anyway.
    I personally like the current system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bottas has had to have a whole new engine again today. Only the electronics component survived out of yesterdays new engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

pjohnson wrote: »
    Bottas has had to have a whole new engine again today. Only the electronics component survived out of yesterdays new engine.

They may as well change it all . They are getting penalties anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Hate seeing Haas so far back. Hope they can do something with the strategy tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Hate seeing Haas so far back. Hope they can do something with the strategy tomorrow!

They were 4th and 6th in one of the practice sessions, and today like a different car. Grosjean sounded beyond frustrated. They don't seem to understand the car at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

H3llR4iser wrote: »

That was the pre 1996 numbering system. Had no issue with it either. I hate this stupid system where each driver keeps the same number as it is merchandising. The 1996-2013 system worked fine as well, but as always, Bernard Charles Ecclestone seem the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

skipper_G wrote: »
    They were 4th and 6th in one of the practice sessions, and today like a different car. Grosjean sounded beyond frustrated. They don't seem to understand the car at all

I actually thought Grosjean was going to cry. He almost looked like he was.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

LeClerc under investigation already for a significant difference between the declared amount of fuel and what the car actually had when checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Cool_CM wrote: »
    LeClerc under investigation already for a significant difference between the declared amount of fuel and what the car actually had when checked.

Stewards have said they won't investigate it until after the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

That was an impressive fly over.

That was an impressive fly over.

Ridiculously impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭This is it

Good from LeClerc, Vettel all over Max

This is it wrote: »
    Good from LeClerc, Vettel all over Max

Must be burning though that extra fuel

"Technical issues" with DRS?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Feels like the least exciting race of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Thought Kubica was going to get sent into the air during that tap

Excellent overtake by Max!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Ballsy move going wheel to wheel with Max

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yeah, Max is the most exciting to happen to F1 in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Any race weekend threads not gone beyond 1 page before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Not the most exciting way to end the season, but at least the midfield scraps were good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Leclerc keeps 3rd place and Ferrari find €50k over fuel.

Ferrari fined €50,000 for the fuel discrepancy. LeClerc keeps his podium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Another great race from Perez. Overtake on last lap to get to 7th. Not even shown on the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Perez ovetakes Norris and Sainz overtakes Hulkenburg but we get to see Lewis' finish to the line all by himself :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just after watching the highlights now. Well that was a boring race. Am glad I did not sit through 2 hours of that. If Max was not in F1 I think it would be in even more trouble.

Bring on 2020 and hopefully a much better season that is also much more competitive.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

AMKC wrote: »
    Just after watching the highlights now. Well that was a boring race. Am glad I did not sit through 2 hours of that. If Max was not in F1 I think it would be in even more trouble.

Bring on 2020 and hopefully a much better season that is also much more competitive.

Pray to all the gods for this.

Glad 2019 is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Perez ovetakes Norris and Sainz overtakes Hulkenburg but we get to see Lewis' finish to the line all by himself :pac:

I'm trying to figure out what kind of wrong Sainz did to the camera operators, it's becoming a meme at this point - "Sainz performs spectacular maneuver/overtake and the cameras weren't showing it" :D

AMKC wrote: »

It was an absolute shocker from where I was sitting :( Almost a minute separating the top three, very poor coverage of the midfield battles, and it was wall to wall tire management for 55 laps. Horrific stuff. If you sat ten people down to watch it, who'd never watched an F1 race in their lives, I'd say not one of them would have enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Inviere wrote: »
    Horrific stuff. If you sat ten people down to watch it, who'd never watched an F1 race in their lives, I'd say not one of them would have enjoyed it.
    And none would ever watch it again. And it'd be hard to blame them.

Top Dog wrote: »
    And none would ever watch it again. And it'd be hard to blame them.

Agreed. While putting F1 behind a paywall has been catastrophic for viewing numbers, it's not entirely to blame either - there are other factors. Godawful soul-less tracks like Abu Dhabi, with tires that need to be constantly minded haven't helped at all either.
    "F1's global television audience has declined from 600 million viewers in 2008 to 390 million in 2016," revealed investment bank J.P. Morgan in a report last month. "Part of this was driven by a move to exclusive Pay-TV as well as (Chinese broadcaster) CCTV dropping F1 in 2013. However, we believe some of the decrease is due to waning fan interest, exacerbated by a lack of on-track competition. Further declines in TV audiences would lower the value of F1 to broadcasters and sponsors and could slow revenue growth."

https://www.pitpass.com/65661/Broadcasters-the-next-big-challenge-for-F1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Inviere wrote: »
    Agreed. While putting F1 behind a paywall has been catastrophic for viewing numbers, it's not entirely to blame either - there are other factors. Godawful soul-less tracks like Abu Dhabi, with tires that need to be constantly minded haven't helped at all either.

https://www.pitpass.com/65661/Broadcasters-the-next-big-challenge-for-F1

Waning fan interest and almost all coverage hidden behind a pay wall

Advertisement