Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodturning lathe

Options
  • 13-11-2019 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

My husband is a cabinet maker by trade but hasnt worked in the area in many years.
    He always talks about how he would like to get back into it as a hobby.
    Im looking to buy him a lathe as an Xmas present...but I havent a clue about them!

Can anyone recommend a half decent affordable one?

It would just be for playing around on so doesnt have to be fancy one :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd look into Record lathes. UK company. Hard to look past for value for money.

Like record dml305

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where in the country are you? asking for two reasons;
    it'd be well worth him joining his local woodturning chapter, he might learn of a lathe for sale secondhand (doesn't suit your immediate purposes, obviously)
    also, it'd be well worth going into a decent shop to ask for advice and eyeball them, but you won't find such a shop in every county.

Before buying a lathe, has he said he's like to get into woodturning, or just 'back making something'?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

JayZeus wrote: »
    Before buying a lathe, has he said he's like to get into woodturning, or just 'back making something'?

Yea he loves woodturning and would love to get back into making little things as a hobby.

Are there other tools that I should look at that are more suited to starting back at woodcraft?

Im sure he will be delighted to just have an excuse to hide in the shed :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's your budget? the one posted above by listermint looks like a decent option, but you'll need a set of gouges too (add €100 or more to the list) and various bits and pieces for holding the pieces on the lathe, etc. (add another €100 minimum) on top of that. let him buy the rest of the toys after that...

i had a look at how much my lathe costs now (i bought it about four years ago) and it's gone up in price by 50% where i bought it, so i won't be recommending that unless you've a nice fat budget...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I'd contact your local woodturning chapter. You could also buy him a chapter membership. He'd get excellent advice there. If he likes woodturning, you'll have no end of choice of presents to buy for him for ever more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Lathes are highly personalised tools. You can have spindle or bowl lathes, variable speed or belt, long or short etc. I'd let him decide .
    If you could take a trip over to the Woodworking show in Harrogate this weekend you would see plenty of lathes on display.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Always wanted to try a bit of woodturning.

How would this do as a starter - obviously just for small pieces as a hobby....

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/discover-diy/woodturning-lathe/p32247

i would be suspicious of such a cheap lathe (having bought one of their bandsaws a year ago, i could probably assemble a better quality one). plus, the low end speed of 800RPM a high figure for the slowest it wants to turn.

one thing you want in a lathe, if turning between centres, is the bed to not be flexible - i can't see much detail on that bed but would be suspicious about it; if the tailstock starts to move or vibrate relative to the headstock, it'll be difficult to get a decent finish.

i would suggest doing a course in woodturning if you're interested, before investing in the kit. they can be few and far between, though.

It's awful rubbish. I'd really advise against anyone wasting their money on that particular lathe. It's not fit for purpose and will be destined to collect dust or head towards a recycling centre in short order. It could also put you off woodturning for life with the brutal experience you'll have using such crap gear for a first taste. Really, it's not worth even looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Radiotower wrote: »
    Always wanted to try a bit of woodturning.

How would this do as a starter - obviously just for small pieces as a hobby....

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/discover-diy/woodturning-lathe/p32247

100% agree with the guys above - steer well clear of this one!

What's your location? - places like The Carpentry Store in Kildare have weekend demonstrations and occasional day courses, which are a great way of putting a toe in the water without huge commitment. Just reach out to them and ask.

Local guilds are another option, where you'll easily find someone who'd be happy to give you a couple of hours of time to see if it's for you. E.g. Dublin Woodturners' Guild - in Templeogue: http://www.dublinwoodturners.com/about.html

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

100% agree with the guys above - steer well clear of this one!

What's your location? - places like The Carpentry Store in Kildare have weekend demonstrations and occasional day courses, which are a great way of putting a toe in the water without huge commitment. Just reach out to them and ask.

Local guilds are another option, where you'll easily find someone who'd be happy to give you a couple of hours of time to see if it's for you. E.g. Dublin Woodturners' Guild - in Templeogue: http://www.dublinwoodturners.com/about.html

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm based in Cavan, the Cavan Institute ran wood turning evening courses about 2 years ago that I missed out on but they haven't ran it since. I'm keeping an eye out for any courses locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Might be worth giving this chap a bell; he's in Navan so it's a bit of a drive but not too bad, he does one off courses and has beginners sessions lined up for January:

https://seamuscassidy.ie/?page_id=50

he's much nearer newgrange; whatever Navan is in his address is not the Navan you'd usually think of, by the looks of it.
    he's demonstrated at our chapter once or twice that i've seen him. a very good demonstrator. the last time, a few months ago, he was wet turning a bowl from bog oak. and when i say wet, he was pouring water on it as he was turning it.

possibly a similarish distance from you, i think shannonside chapter meet in or near longford town. depends on which end of Cavan you're in, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I am a hobby woodturner and have a Record lathe - very happy with it. it was around 300 euro, I think.
    You will also need chisels and a good sharpening wheel to get going.
    Lots of scope for future presents - expanding jaws to hold wood for bowls, additional chisels, a sharpening jig, etc. it's a great hobby!

Advertisement