Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thailand - Recommendations Needed!

• 26-11-2019 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Currently planning on going to Thailand for approx 3 weeks in April.

Plan is to fly into Phuket and stay there for 5 days(to meet a family member) and then to travel up Thailand, probably leave Bangkok as our last stop and fly home from there.

Anyone have recommendations on what to do while we are there, where to go & what to plan in advance? We don’t even know where to start our planning!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There's so much to Thailand that you'll need to provide more info.

Age / What you're into etc.

Personally, i'd skip Phuket completely. However, if you must go, head to to PhiPhi after (again, depends on your interests). Despite it being a party island, it's still beautiful. You can get a mini-bus / ferry combo from any agent on the street. Pick-up at hotel, ferry from Phuket City and then drop-off at PhiPhi (You walk everywhere on PhiPhi unless staying on the East side)

After PhiPhi id go to Koh Lanta to chill. That's just a straight ferry - only 1 - 2 hours

After Lanta, if budget allows, 1-2 nights on Railay (very romantic). Again, a ferry, which will drop you in Krabi / Ao Nang, then a long-tail to Railay. (Personally I wouldn't stay in Krabi town for more than a night. If Railay is out of budget, stay in Ao Nang and day trip to Railay)

After Railay, i'd allow a few nights for Bangkok (again, if cities are your thing). We must have stayed in Bangkok for over 60 nights collectively over the years and i've still only scratched the surface. So many people say "Get out of BKK ASAP", however i'd recommend no less than 4 nights there, just to get a taste.

Personally, I wouldn't try to fit any more in 3 weeks, especially if you're spending 5 nights in Phuket. Don't even think about also getting some of North Thailand in that short time, it's just not going to happen. Concentrate on the South and you'll have a ball as you won't spend all of your time travelling.

Fly internally, where possible (so from Railay (Krabi Airport) up to BKK - Air Asia to DMK, only about 40 euro).

What i've recommended above means you're doing almost no back-tracking, which is important when on such a short trip.

To give you a comparison; This year we have 17 nights in Thailand (Majority of the time will be spent in Myanmar, however we want a party for Christmas / New Years) and we're only visiting: Krabi (Railay), PhiPhi, Lanta, Bangkok

Just to add, check the weather in April. We only travel there in Dec / Jan.

April could be very wet in the Andaman Sea (but it'll be warm rain!). If this is an issue for you, you could head to the Gulf of Thailand and visit Koh Phangan / Koh Tao (Again, personally i'd skip Samui, although a night or two in transit is bearable).

Koh Phangan is a wonderful island. Don't be fooled that it's nothing but a party island, there's so much more to it than Full Moon Parties (but you go once in your life to experience it!).

Koh Tao is also beautiful. Despite my political views on the island, you can't deny the beauty of the place, combined with both chill / party buzz, all within minutes of each other.... I tend to dress a bit better than your regular hippy, but on Koh Tao all goes out the window... most people walking around barefoot the whole time, myself included :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭larchielads

Meself and herself goin to Thailand for 3 weeks around the same time. Ill dig out the itenerary when i get a chance. Never been before so no idea what we're gonba do when we get there ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Cheers for the recommendations John, has definitely given us a better insight of what to do and expect. Would also appreciate your opinion too Larchie, the more feedback the better!

Group of us going are 23 years old, so will be open to spending a few days at the “party” islands :D

Have to meet a family member in Phuket first thing when I land so will be there for 4 or 5 days. Free to travel anywhere afterwards. Again, thanks for those recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Only able to Travel to Thailand/South East Asia in July and August next year.

Anybody have experience of travelling the region at that time? I know it's pretty much peak monsoon season but from my research this may only be short intense bursts of rain in the afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

When is the ideal time to travel to Asia, Bali, Japan, Thailand? ..so it's around 20/30 degrees.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    When is the ideal time to travel to Asia, Bali, Japan, Thailand? ..so it's around 20/30 degrees.

Asia is a big place.

But for Thailand I'd say Dec / Jan

Thailand now booked.

Leaving mid-March for 3 weeks. Flying into Phuket, and leaving from Bangkok.

Was previously looking for suggestions on what to do, but now I am looking for suggestions on what to avoid. Anyone give some tips?

Thanks again for everyone’s previous comments, I’ve them all taken on board :D

. Never been before so no idea what we're gonba do when we get there ha ha

you're going to a blast,its an amazing country .
    someday I'll make it back:cool:

Murt102 wrote: »
    Thailand now booked.

Leaving mid-March for 3 weeks. Flying into Phuket, and leaving from Bangkok.

Was previously looking for suggestions on what to do, but now I am looking for suggestions on what to avoid. Anyone give some tips?

Thanks again for everyone’s previous comments, I’ve them all taken on board :D

3 weeks will cover the South nicely (I wouldn't try to cram the North in, too).

What to avoid? Personally... Phuket.

Spend a night or two there by all means to get over the jet-lag, but i'd be straight on a boat out of there from Phuket town.

PhiPhi - Mixed views depending on what you're into, I still think it's a 'must do' if you've never been

Koh Lanta.

After Koh Lanta you need to decide whether you want to go south to Koh Lipe. We've been twice and loved it. You could get down there in about 3 hours on a speedboat (I think.. research this, but you can defo get a speed boat).

Then it's into the Gulf of Thailand...
    Koh Phangan / Koh Tao need no introduction - do your research.

The elephant in the room will be Samui - I'd personally avoid, but again depends on what you're into.

If you want to avoid a 12+ hour bus trip, use Nok Air (Think AirAsia also) Fly n' Ferry up to Bangkok (alternatively fly straight out of Samui with Bangkok air into BKK if budget allows).

Again, personal taste... you MUST give Bangkok 4 nights. It's a crazy city that caters to all. We've spent no less than 50 nights in BKK over the years and love returning every time (although our last trip, I think I finally said i've had enough).

You won't feel 3 weeks flying with the above plan, and you're not doubling over on your self. It is SO important to spend at least 3 nights in each location to get a true feel for it (and I mean at LEAST 3 nights, anything extra is a bonus).

There, that's enough of a hint for you... get Googling each of those locations and see how long you want to spend in each.

Have a blast. Thailand has gotten expensive with exchange rate, but as you won't be there in peak season, the cheaper accom. etc. will make up for it.

• Advertisement

Cheers John, you’ve been a great help! Planning on making an itenery this weekend to plan out our days.

It’s great to hear from someone with experience of the country, sounds like you’ve plenty of it! :cool:

Murt102 wrote: »
    Cheers John, you’ve been a great help! Planning on making an itenery this weekend to plan out our days.

It’s great to hear from someone with experience of the country, sounds like you’ve plenty of it! :cool:

Last December was our 9th year :pac:

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Last December was our 9th year :pac:

Hey I cant say much, I might get that bug too :pac:

Our intenery is looking like;
    Phuket > Phi Phi > Koh Lanta > Koh Lipe > Koh Phangan > Koh Tao > Phuket > Bangkok - Spending 3 days in each, apart from my second visit to Phuket which will only be 1 day (basically to say g’luck to a family member there).

Would you recommend booking transport between islands & tours beforehand, or should we take it in our stride and see what we come across?

Ideally when we are spending 3 days at each place, we hope to get an early morning boat to the destination and chill for that day, then go on a full-day tour the next day, and chill / do our own thing on the last day, and repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Do it when you get there, its generally cheaper.
    Shop around with the different vendors, big hotels will usually have travel agents to help book stuff, but the guys on the street are cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Looking good for cheaper hotel deals in Thailand in April due to coronavirus. There will be a big fall-off in Chinese tourists and even jittery Japanese and Korean travellers due to the situation.

Thailand isn't a low-cost destination any more I find, particularly with the strength of the baht over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭audman13

JohnCleary wrote: »
    3 weeks will cover the South nicely (I wouldn't try to cram the North in, too).

What to avoid? Personally... Phuket.

Spend a night or two there by all means to get over the jet-lag, but i'd be straight on a boat out of there from Phuket town.

PhiPhi - Mixed views depending on what you're into, I still think it's a 'must do' if you've never been

Koh Lanta.

After Koh Lanta you need to decide whether you want to go south to Koh Lipe. We've been twice and loved it. You could get down there in about 3 hours on a speedboat (I think.. research this, but you can defo get a speed boat).

Then it's into the Gulf of Thailand...
    Koh Phangan / Koh Tao need no introduction - do your research.

The elephant in the room will be Samui - I'd personally avoid, but again depends on what you're into.

If you want to avoid a 12+ hour bus trip, use Nok Air (Think AirAsia also) Fly n' Ferry up to Bangkok (alternatively fly straight out of Samui with Bangkok air into BKK if budget allows).

Again, personal taste... you MUST give Bangkok 4 nights. It's a crazy city that caters to all. We've spent no less than 50 nights in BKK over the years and love returning every time (although our last trip, I think I finally said i've had enough).

You won't feel 3 weeks flying with the above plan, and you're not doubling over on your self. It is SO important to spend at least 3 nights in each location to get a true feel for it (and I mean at LEAST 3 nights, anything extra is a bonus).

There, that's enough of a hint for you... get Googling each of those locations and see how long you want to spend in each.

Have a blast. Thailand has gotten expensive with exchange rate, but as you won't be there in peak season, the cheaper accom. etc. will make up for it.

John what do you not like about samui?. I was thinking about going there

audman13 wrote: »
    John what do you not like about samui?. I was thinking about going there

Personal choice, so take with a pinch of salt.

But....
    You'd might aswell be in the Canaries.
    Not a bit of culture to be seen, not real Thailand (which is harder and harder to find, to be fair)
    Expensive
    Ripoff Taxi drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭gaillimh

Resurrecting an old thread here but looking for some advice on Thailand.
    Could be two years in the future at this stage with COVID who knows, but no harm to start dreaming I guess....
    I’ve never been to Thailand but basically I’m wondering where would you recommend for a two week holiday (2 adults and 2 kids who are 4 and 2 at the moment)?
    Looking for somewhere with a nice beach and a big selection of eateries without any tackiness.
    I’m open to spending the full two weeks in the one place or splitting it between a week each in two places.
    Don’t want to do too much travelling once there given our kids are small.
    I have heard that Koh Lipe is nice (I realise awkward to get to though)?
    Appreciate any advice

Advertisement