Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VW Grand California

Options
  • 27-11-2019 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone heard anything about when this might start becoming available in Ireland?

The general vw.ie website is aware of the model:
    https://www.volkswagenvans.ie/en/models/grand-california.html

But none of the retailer websites mention it yet, so it's hard to find details. I want them to take my money already!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

To each their own. I think the roof looks really aftermarket reminds me of a wheelchair taxi grp job, you'd expect vw to do a much better job of fairing it into the body work. Should hold its value well on secondhand market though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I don't care much about the exterior tbh - I think the interior is where it wins hands down. Little details like the airplane overhead compartments and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

MJohnston wrote: »
    I don't care much about the exterior tbh - I think the interior is where it wins hands down. Little details like the airplane overhead compartments and all that.

Was thrashing this out with someone at work who is of the - never had a camper but dreams of owning one and is unlikely to use on if they get one - camp so forgive my devils advocate observations :pac::D

The plastic moulded interior is sleeker and rounder profiles more ergonomic than the usual vohringer board interior but the first thing I thought is - injection moulded adria twin. It wouldn't be worth the 50% extra price premium over an adria to me.

The only newish thing I can see is the bulbous projections either side of the 600 model for the rear bed to make up for it being a narrow base vehicle to begin with.

I am over 6ft and that 600 model bed with tall lockers over head and feet looks really claustrophobic to me I'd be guaranteed to bash my head and toes on a regular basis.

The top lockers are visually nice but in terms of headroom and storage volume I'd rather a slightly taller top locker than the addition of the single file tin of beans ones underneath. But if you are short I could understand neither of those being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is Westfalia building them for VW? It looks to have some Westfalia about it.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Is Westfalia building them for VW? It looks to have some Westfalia about it.

No I believe this is entirely in-house, like the recent VW California model was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

Not a terrible price when you see the amount people are looking for for some of the conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Its a heavy beast. The FWD 600 would be borderline on a B licence (3100kg unladen, giving only 400kg payload). The larger 680 is 3880kg GVW, so a C / C1 licence jobbie.

If the pricing structure is anything like VW cars, €77K is just for starters. Would a 680 with options be North of €100K?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

MJohnston wrote: »
    No I believe this is entirely in-house, like the recent VW California model was.

A lot of the details look VERY much like Westfalia details, like the mouldings on the base of the seat (Columbus dinette bed option), bathroom sink & shelves, pop out pod at side for bed, etc.

Then again, I may be wrong.....

Edit. If I was spending that much for a high top, I'd look at the Ducato base. It's a wider van....

lol, I wasn't really looking for a critique of my choice, I'm pretty sold on it already! I have a converted T5 at the minute and I enjoy it a lot, but I like the idea of it being engineered and converted by the same people who built the actual van that it is created from. I think they've got a lot of details in there that I don't see in conversions. Added to that, the VW Crafter is considered to be the best van of its type on the market, and this uses that as a base.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard any details about it landing in the Irish market yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

You can get a get of a lot better value than getting this "icon"
    was very interested a year ago but nobody could tell me when they were due to come on stream, bet the release date is no clearer, they were on display at the National Ploughing Championships but were off limits to the public unlike at Motorhome shows in the UK and Europe where you could have a look inside, that did it for me, maybe they didn't like the idea of farmers with muddy boots walking inside, for 80-95,000 euro far better value is to be had as I found out.

• Advertisement

The old saying holds true, There is an Arse for every seat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Seventy-six grand???

Whistles softly.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Seventy-six grand???

Whistles softly.

I think that will be a base price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Video is pure comedey it's markets at grannies and yummie mummies, on actual deacent views inside the vans or what the layout is like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

Alkers wrote: »

Yeah! Annoyingly they don't list it on their website, although the general volkswagenvans.ie does now have a product page for it, but of course no configurator yet to look at the different options.

I'm sure this is widespread, but it's extremely frustrating that it's available in Germany for nearly €20k cheaper. My wife is German, I'd be severely tempted to make the trip...

I don't think you'd find a RHD one in Germany and VRT will add a fair bit to the landed cost, possibly making it the same price as here.

I'm not sure LHD would bother me too much in a campervan, especially with all the radar guidance features.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Could the one that weighs 3.8 tonne be classed as commercial for vrt purposes?

• Advertisement

That loophole was closed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Damn Revenue typical they would be the most efficient state department.

Advertisement