Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling a bit lost

• 01-12-2019 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

I've been feeling a bit lost recently. I've definitely been drinking and smoking too much and think it might be impacting my health. I'm in my late 20s and work in an office job in the city center. Work itself is going well.

I don't really have many hobbies to keep my occupied save watching tv shows or going out for food/drinks with friends but its all becoming a bit repetitive. I'm afraid of reaching a stage where everyone around me is getting married and having kids and I'm still stuck. As for going on dates I think I need to work on myself a bit first before going into that world.

I have a good few issues getting a decent nights sleep as well as it takes me ages to fall asleep and sometimes wake up several times during the night.

Any advice on how to get back back on track ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corklily05

I think the problem is right in front of you. Drinking every weekend gets a bit much after a while. We've all done it but your opinion on drinking will change in time.

My advise, join a gym and go to classes, spinning, circuits,trx etc or else join a sports club. My 20s are long gone and i went out every weekend just like you but, if its getting you down the drink is definitely an issue and its depressing you.

Meeting someone will happen, i know the dating world has changed immensely but don't be in a hurry, it'll happen when you're not looking for anything. I was never a smoker and i detest the habbit but if you think its having an impact try 1 less cigarette a day, i hear that helps. So, if you smoke 20 a day, start on 19 tomorrow, then 18 the day after.

You sound like you're in a bit of a rut which happens a lot of people, i was always a runner when i was younger and i got back into it the last few years, later i joined a running club. Now i'm 36 and i look forward to a run more than a pint. Find a friend to pick up a hobbie with if you can, you can egg each other on by guilting each other into going training.

Whatever you choose to do, best of luck, it's not easy but the only exercise i regret is the exercise i dont do. Good luck OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Check in with your GP.

Find something you are passionate about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Can I recommend the book Feeling Good by Dr. David Burns. It's essentially a teach yourself basic CBT skills cover to cover.
    It's really easy to follow and to do the 'exercises'.
    Evidence from six studies suggest that the book alone has a large helpful effect for people.

Also recommend Mindfulness. Start with videos from Jon Kabit Zinn and go on from there.

If you do the above the rest should follow much more easily. Stopping smoking, exercising, eating right, hooking up on Tinder, drinking less, more productivity, more calmness and contentness.

Advertisement