Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA : 3 Points for being a danger to Cyclist but not Motorcyclist ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What's with the "us Vs them" attitude? It's so childish and counterproductive. Campaign for more rules if that's what you want, but you should really be campaigning for more Garda presence on the roads. Rules are useless if nobody is there to enforce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In terms of public attitude, media attitude and legislator attitude it's the worst in the EU imho

Couldn't give a fook about number plates tbh

UK MOT is completely corrupt so no point copying that.

The people who count, the Gardai, are aware of bikes and that's all that counts. We are good at enacting laws for this or that, it's the enforcement of them that's lacking and the Gardai enforcement of laws around bikes is done on a pragmatic basis to our benefit. How many people do you actually think will be done for dangerous overtaking, exceeding 30 limits etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Del2005 wrote: »
    the Gardai enforcement of laws around bikes is done on a pragmatic basis to our benefit.

Indeed, let's not be so hasty, quite happy with how it works for motorbikes right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Del2005 wrote: »
    The people who count, the Gardai, are aware of bikes and that's all that counts. We are good at enacting laws for this or that, it's the enforcement of them that's lacking and the Gardai enforcement of laws around bikes is done on a pragmatic basis to our benefit. How many people do you actually think will be done for dangerous overtaking, exceeding 30 limits etc?

Agreed, not a biker, but most I see are enthusiasts and (unlike other road users) take pride with their fairly skilled riding and bike care. Also, from my uneducated view, the motorbikes I see look very well maintained, clean with good tyres, they rarely break down and are rarely the cause of accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Germans have the extremely anal TUV test. Not allowed patch (even internally) a tyre, or fit tyres not OEM approved. Nuts..

Not allowed change sparkplugs from that OE fitted, either. I've bought enough German bikes and reading the KFZschein (tax book to you & I) and you see that level of detail, including make, model & size of tyres too on it and you think .... TF we don't have that....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    ...Yeah the roads are a problem, but the bill that would have made the councils responsible was never signed into law in the 60's.
    I wonder why?:rolleyes:

...but LA's and the NRA a crafty bunch when it comes to dodging spending money on roads.

One example, when the M6 Motorway (Dublin-Galway) opened the last section in 2009, the old N6 near my house magically.....disappeared.... :confused::confused:
    Now, the law is, because motorways are tolled, that you must be allowed a toll-free alternative. So, the old N6 is the alternative to the M6. But all the N6 signs disappeared and were replaced by the R446 signs........(this is what you need to look for from Athlone to Galway for instance.....just in case you thought were losing your mind looking for an N6 sign....).
    The question is 'why?'...and the answer is....funds. The NRA reclassified the road from N to R so that.......they didn't have to maintain it anymore, and by according it an R, made it the responsibility of the local council. Which means.....it'll never see anything other than cursory emergency repairs. It has literally become a 2nd Class Road or less even...

Another example then:...moving that along, I live along the R347, and this road has for years deteriorated and it's brutal. It got so bad that on occasion I would stop the bike on the way home, grab the nearest council cone, and drop that into the potholes in the carriageway. These were wheel breakers. Multiple complaints etc had no effect. And here's when I found out the Council operated what \I call 'The Pinto' Principle (reference: see HERE.)

..by this I mean, Galway County Council actually have a form for reclaiming damage to your vehicle from them, for damage caused by the road. And they have a person managing it. It is only when those claims reach above a threshold that the road will get attention, and even at that, a 'cats lick'. In case you think I'm making this up, I have had....5?....successful payments from them.....and many others do too.

In that context, an NCT for bikes is a waste of time.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

galwaytt wrote: »
    Now, the law is, because motorways are tolled, that you must be allowed a toll-free alternative.
    Without wanting to get off-topic, there is no obligation to have a non-tolled route. and very little of the motorway network is tolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There has to be a non-motorway route though, as some drivers and vehicles aren't allowed on motorways. But in the context of the post you're replying to, it's about not providing a decent alternative to the tolled road / allowing what was a decent alternative to fall into ruin.

Signage if you're trying to avoid the M4 toll is shocking, you really have to plan that route in advance. Including a fictional place called "INNFIELD" that only exists on a prominent sign where if you get it wrong (looking for Enfield) you hit the toll.

Signs on roundabouts that say "M4" instead of "M4 TOLL" leading you to think you're past the toll plaza when you're not.

Disgraceful carry on.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Victor wrote: »
    Without wanting to get off-topic, there is no obligation to have a non-tolled route. and very little of the motorway network is tolled.

There is actually, as the tolled motorways here are PPP roads, not publicly owned ones.

I don't know where you live, but M6/M4/M50/M1 all tolled, so a spin Galway-Dundalk & back in the car costs the bones of €25 in tolls....

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

galwaytt wrote: »
    as the tolled motorways here are PPP roads
    West Link, Port Tunnel and East Link (not a motorway) aren't PPPs.
    I don't know where you live, but M6/M4/M50/M1 all tolled, so a spin Galway-Dundalk & back in the car costs the bones of €25 in tolls....
    In some countries you woul be paying a lot more.

Galway > Dundalk 286 km toll €9.80 https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Routes?departure=Galway%2C%20Ireland&departureId=31NDFyMXYxMGNOVE11TWpjek9UWT1jTFRrdU1EVXhNalE9&step-1=Lucan%2C%20Ireland&arrival=Dundalk%20A91%2C%20Ireland&arrivalId=31NDFxdXoxMGNOVE11T1RrNU5URT1jTFRZdU5EQXpNemc9&index=0&vehicle=0&type=0&distance=km&currency=EUR&highway=false&toll=false&vignette=false&orc=false&crossing=true&caravan=false&shouldUseTraffic=false&withBreaks=false&break_frequency=7200&coffee_duration=1200&lunch_duration=3600&diner_duration=3600&night_duration=32400&car=hatchback&fuel=petrol&fuelCost=1.477&allowance=0&corridor=&departureDate=&arrivalDate=&fuelConsumption=
    Paris > Châtellerault 293 km toll €30.50 https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Routes?departure=75000%20Paris%2C%20France&departureId=31NDJ2dDMxMGNORGd1T0RVMk9EST1jTWk0ek5URXhNUT09&arrival=86100%20Ch%C3%A2tellerault%2C%20France&index=0&vehicle=0&type=0&distance=km&currency=EUR&highway=false&toll=false&vignette=false&orc=false&crossing=true&caravan=false&shouldUseTraffic=false&withBreaks=false&break_frequency=7200&coffee_duration=1200&lunch_duration=3600&diner_duration=3600&night_duration=32400&car=hatchback&fuel=petrol&fuelCost=1.477&allowance=0&corridor=&departureDate=&arrivalDate=&fuelConsumption=

Toll roads are hardly all-pervasive.

496422.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement