Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killakee House up for rent

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'm actually thinking about doing a trip to Charleville next year, when I'm more organised. Nothing is planned regarding at the moment though. Truth be told, I'm a little detached from any paranormal stuff (or anything else for that matter) at present, though I'm hoping when I go back to Ireland, I'll be able to give myself a kick up the arse regarding everything!

Back on the main topic though, the stuff being talked about regarding the house is pretty interesting... I wasn't aware there was all of that history behind the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

KeithAFC wrote: »
    We should really try and get a list of the haunted buildings in Ireland and see if anyone has had any experiences in them.

Anyone been to Charville castle?
    What about the Cooneen Ghost house in Fermanagh?
    There isn't too much about it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mankyspuds

Well went up to have a look at the place, liked it and went for it. Found out today that I got it!! pretty pleased. The place needs a good cleaning lots and lots of dust, but its in good order for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Mankyspuds wrote: »
    Well went up to have a look at the place, liked it and went for it. Found out today that I got it!! pretty pleased. The place needs a good cleaning lots and lots of dust, but its in good order for the most part.

Anthing to report 3 months on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Last activity for Mankyspuds 23-10-1010:eek:!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Perhaps someone should go up and check on them? Or at least spray some fabreeze on the corpses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

The first time I ever took a girl for dinner in my teenage years was in the old restaurant in Kilakee House. Recently I lived at the foot of that hill and have walked up around the HellFire Club and that area more times than I've had hot dinners!

I remember the night we went for the meal up there, we were in the reception area waiting for our table and I can clearly remember seeing the haunting framed picture of the monsterous black cat that appeared inside the house on evening.

It was sad to see the restaurant closing, I could see the venue doing great business as a pub and restaurant again if a bit of imagination was used with regard to getting customers home, etc

Just found an old review of the restaurant going back to when we still used the Irish punt!

http://www.foodandwine.net/reviews/069.htm

Just realised the review was by Paolo Tullio and goes back to around 2004!

Sorry, I should have gotten back on to you, I took AGES to get Eircom up off their arses so I could get a phone & broadband (12/02/11 believe it or not) I forgot that I posted on here about the place.

Anyway - What a place to live!!!! Rent is cheap, awesome place to hold parties I mean fúckin deadly spot, snooker table, landlords are cool. When I moved in at the start(on my own), it was proper creepy to begin with. Weather vane screeching, metal gates slamming, the house groaning with the wind and every now and again a big gust would gently toll the bell in the tower and when all that is happening a bloody fox barks right outside the window!!!!! FFFUUUCCCKKKKK!!!! After a while you get used to it and you figure out where all the banging and rattling is coming from

BUT...

**** you Not!! The Fúcking Microwave turns on and off on its own accord, the bloody timer (digital) dial moves up ever so slowly and it just stops!!! Creepy..

its permanantly plugged out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Mankyspuds wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have gotten back on to you, I took AGES to get Eircom up off their arses so I could get a phone & broadband (12/02/11 believe it or not) I forgot that I posted on here about the place.

Anyway - What a place to live!!!! Rent is cheap, awesome place to hold parties I mean fúckin deadly spot, snooker table, landlords are cool. When I moved in at the start(on my own), it was proper creepy to begin with. Weather vane screeching, metal gates slamming, the house groaning with the wind and every now and again a big gust would gently toll the bell in the tower and when all that is happening a bloody fox barks right outside the window!!!!! FFFUUUCCCKKKKK!!!! After a while you get used to it and you figure out where all the banging and rattling is coming from

BUT...

**** you Not!! The Fúcking Microwave turns on and off on its own accord, the bloody timer (digital) dial moves up ever so slowly and it just stops!!! Creepy..

its permanantly plugged out

maybe your microwave is broken ? :confused:

just a wild stab in the dark ........

• Advertisement

robbie_998 wrote: »
    maybe your microwave is broken ? :confused:

just a wild stab in the dark ........

Of course its faulty :rolleyes: creepy none the less:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bustercherry86

I used to work here as a door boy and clean the place when I was about 11 or 12, I was first in the place on my own cleaning everywhere and never saw anything unusual.
    Considering my age at the time I would have been easily spooked! :cool:

I used to stand beside that painting all night every weekend. :rolleyes:

I remember asking if anybody had ever seen anything weird and was told that "bill" or "Bob" that used to work there saw or heard things up on the third floor where the kegs and larger used to be. I had to go up there a lot on my own to prepare drinks. (I think they were just trying to scare me though :eek:)

I used to get a free meal before I started work and it is was always A+++
    it was my first job and I real enjoyed working there.

I personally don't think there is anything supernatural there and think it would be a great place to live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

It used to be a Mitchelin star restaurant, it's an awful pity that for whatever reason, it ceased trading a good few years ago.

I went for my first meal with my first girlfriend at the time in the restaurant back around 1995, hard to believe it's around 16 years ago, I can remember seeing the painting of the black cat above the fireplace in the reception/hall area, the restaurant was upstairs and it had a lovely character to it, all candle lit and old style.

here's an old review I found on the web for the restaurant, compiled by Paolo Tullio himself of RTE "The Restaurant" fame...

http://www.foodandwine.net/reviews/069.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Apologies for digging up such an old thread, however Kilakee house has re-opened as a coffee shop.

I can highly recommend the home made hot scones and berry compote, and the coffee is slow brewed and very good.

The original painting of the infamous black cat is also pride of place in the café. I was delighted to see it again I must admit.

If you're up that way you should definitely drop in.

If you have a dog, provided they are well behaved, they can come inside and sit in the café too.
    My fella thoroughly enjoyed his visit today, he likes to chase cats, but not sure he'd take on this particular one.

Advertisement