Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work Colleague talking shoes and socks off at desk

• 09-12-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

My Work Colleague takes her shoes and socks off at her desk and walks around the office barefoot . she then has her legs stretched out and her feet under my desk .. i think this is gross .. whats the best way to handle this ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

"Accidentally" break her toe. Wont be long about not wearing shoes again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

My Work Colleague takes her shoes and socks off at her desk and walks around the office barefoot . she then has her legs stretched out and her feet under my desk .. i think this is gross .. whats the best way to handle this ...

Creep in under the desk and administer a foot rub.

Although if she likes it, you'll never get those socks back on again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Have your lunch, a jam sandwich (remember them?) at your desk and accidentally drop jam into her shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I suggest you try and relax about it. It's unusual, not gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

Diziet wrote: »

To take your shoes and socks off in work and walk around barefoot in an office of 100 people ?
    and then sit with your feet under someones desk is not gross ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

To take your shoes and socks off in work and walk around barefoot in an office of 100 people ?
    what is wrong with her feet? Is it the bareness itself or do they smell or what about them bothers you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

It's pretty gross and I have had one that does it near me occasionally. I just give a dirty look, like a coward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Mine the surrounded floor area with thumb tacks.

Or ask HR to send around an e-mail to everyone about wearing footwear.
    I used to work with a guy who changed into slippers around the office, that might be a suggestion to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I work with a woman who wears flipflops around the office even in this weather and bare legs which are often hairy. It is unbelievable. No idea how to tackle it bar maybe having a word with your manager.
    I would have thought for health & safety reasons she would be required to wear footwear. What is she stood on a plug or dropped a file on her toe or somebody accidentally stood on her or she dropped hot coffee on her exposed feet for example? Maybe take that angle and yes, it is the epitome of gross!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm usually in just socks for the first hour in the mornings, however I'm only in with 7 others. I mentioned it a few times but nobody has an issue.

Barefoot is a bit mad though tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'd be more worried that you think the shoes and socks are talking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Or ask HR to send around an e-mail to everyone about wearing footwear.

This would be my suggestion, although people like her, who seem completely unaware of appropriateness in the workplace, still don't usually take the hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Worked with someone who would do this, she would tuck her knees up to her chest and curl her toes around the edge of the desk - i hate feet, my feet, your feet, her feet.....anyones feet!!!!

Anyway, i discreetly asked management to send an email around telling people that for health and safety reasons, they must have shoes on their feet and that was the end of that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bare, non-smelly feet would be preferable to sweaty tights toe smell I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Your'd hate New Zealand...The locals there go everywhere without footwear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

Madness, she could step on LEGO or anything and injure herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Your'd hate New Zealand...The locals there go everywhere without footwear

It's not New Zealand though.

Its inappropriate for work, end of, talk to hr or your direct supervisor, discreetness is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

petes wrote: »
    It's not New Zealand though.

Its inappropriate for work, and of, talk to hr or you direct supervisor, discreetness is key.

I know a couple of Kiwi's who often walked around barefooted here in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

By asking her to put her shoes and socks on.

Diziet wrote: »

100% wrong. It's gross.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Bare, non-smelly feet would be preferable to sweaty tights toe smell I think.

Uuurghh just vomited in my mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

lawred2 wrote: »
    100% wrong. It's gross.

Not so sure that it is as simple as that.

HR might have an issue in terms of the increased likelihood that she might injure her self at work, stepping on something, or slipping on a non-carpeted area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

By asking her to put her shoes and socks on.

And she'll say "who made you God?"

If there's a real safety or customer perception issue, then go to HR. Otherwise, get yourself some body counselling and get over it: feet are a good deal less gross than noses or mouths and we don't insist that they're covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭wassie

Porklife wrote: »
    I work with a woman who wears flipflops around the office even in this weather and bare legs which are often hairy. It is unbelievable.

You need to shut that down quick smart. Next thing you know she'll be demanding equal pay.....:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Don't ever take a job here in Switzerland, it is very common, especially in the summer you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in the office wearing shoes. In the winter some go around in socks or slippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭bmc58

Is she a "Fergie" type?

And she'll say "who made up God?"

If there's a real safety or customer perception issue, then go to HR. Otherwise, get yourself some body counselling and get over it: feet are a good deal less gross than noses or mouths and we don't insist that they're covered.

Who made up God!?

Tell management they’re leaving themselves open to a payout if she injures a foot. Won’t be long enforcing footwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

bmc58 wrote: »
    Is she a "Fergie" type?

More Frodo tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

break a glass (somewhere safe ) and put a few bits on the ground pretend someone just broke it and then make sure she sees you clean it up. tell her its too dangerous to walk around like that. if she takes them off the next day pretent to find a piece and say something like , jesus mary you are fierc luck i found this bit of glass you could have injured yourself. . only an itiot would walk around if they thought there was broken glass on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who made up God!?

Typo. Bippo. Whatso.

Now fixed.

And she'll say "who made you God?"

thats because we need them to breath,, feet not so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If they are coming under your desk and getting in your way I’d be saying something. When did we get to the stage in life where we can’t say something to a coworker. Make a joke of it if you want but you could definitely start by saying something.

After that just ignore it.

I see one of my own kids doesn’t like the look of other people’s feet, I just tell her to get over it and ignore them. Ironically she’s a high level competition swimmer where she has to ignore lots of feet all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

Yep her feet under my desk every day .
    She is a very quiet girl wouldn’t say boo to a mouse if I say anything to her she will be hysterical . Her English is not great either so I’m afraid she will take it the wrong way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Bring some gravel in a sprinkle around the place?

A box of Lego and some upturned plugs will put an end to this Tom foolery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Yep her feet under my desk every day .
    She is a very quiet girl wouldn’t say boo to a mouse if I say anything to her she will be hysterical . Her English is not great either so I’m afraid she will take it the wrong way
    you didn't tell us where she's from - but at least confirmed she may have a different cultural background than yourself. sometimes we all need to embrace diversity.

in work, I wouldn't be bothered if ppl hang around their desks bare foot, as long they've no smelly feet. some ppl can be more productive with no shoes on :)

but I would be bothered by ppl wanting to keep their feet under my desk: barefoot or not, my under desk is just for my feet: I would defo say something about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

mvl wrote:
    you didn't tell us where she's from - but at least confirmed she may have a different cultural background than yourself. sometimes we all need to embrace diversity.

So if she wasn't foreign, it would be appropriate to ask her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Just saya there is a new office rule, any toes I find under my desk I get to suck on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

never move to NZ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It is gross. Not even my smoked mackerel on toast at my desk colleague would do that. It's a HR job OP. Let them tackle it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

OP - Pics or its not happening. From different angles.... mmmm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_fetishism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I had an old work colleague who used to do this, he'd also pick at his toes with a pair of scissors.

I went to stationary cupboard and got 4 pair of scissors, every time he took his socks off i started throwing scissors at his piggies, funnily enough he soon stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Apparently it's a Scandinavian thing. A colleague here does just that and claims you are more productive bare foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

can you not put something in her way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

yeah, wearing no shoes can be the norm in other countries.
    bare foot or not, at the end of the day, it depends what's in the dress code for the job she's doing ... but would tell her to keep her feet away from my under-desk as (and now I struggle to find a PC equivalent for) "no footsies allowed in work" ...

PS: I am under the impression that companies seem to allow individuals more freedom to express themselves these days (race, gender, blah blah).
    for example, assume there is a long haired fella with a dodgy hair color in my work place - thinking if I'd complain about that color (e.g. it hurts my eyes to look at, or is not matching with the company image I came to work for ... a number of years ago), I would be the one ending on a HR blacklist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Shoes or no shoes I'd be accidentally kicking or stepping on any feet under my desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Bare feet wouldn't bother me once they were clean, didn't smell, and the nails were well kept.

However, the feet under my desk would annoy me - is your office very cramped or the desks tiny? You must be sitting in very close proximity if her feet and legs reach under your desk?

There are rules about minimum space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Nothing some thumb-tacs thrown under your desk won’t sort out...

It’s also a great cure for sleep walking too haha!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I just clapped myself on the back. While most people seem to have a problem with this I've no issues with it.

And I open toilet doors with the sleeve of my jacket or keep the door open with my foot as I wash my hands and turn off the tap with tissue paper if necessary. This I have no issue with. Bare hands/feet. Meh.

Go me! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement